Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please shorten time to resurrect

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Nov 24, 2014.

?

Should the time to resurrect be shortened?

1. Yes

57.9%
  2. No

42.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I understand why some think we shouldn't immediately resurrect. I guess the thought is that there should be some penalty for dying.

Personally I liked the R11 version where you immediately get a pop-up menu saying "Do you want to resurrect?" That was nice and the flow of play wasn't disrupted.

I believe the current time to resurrect is about one minute.

It would make the experience more tolerable to shorten the time to 30 seconds or less.

I like the ghost thing and the hazy/smoky thing when you die by the way. But the time to resurrect is just too long IMO.

2. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

There needs to be a death penalty .. otherwise why even have health?

It's there so you can't just blitz through enemies to do something like the Grand Tour.

I liked it in WoW . .you had to make your way back to your body (as a ghost) .. or pay money to rezz on the spot.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The shortest resurrection time has always and will always be, don't die.

4. tcjennings

tcjennings Avatar

The *penalty* for death is respawning at the scene entrance with no health and a significant debuff for 2 minutes. Being a ghost should be an opportunity to be raised by a teammate with no or a reduced debuff. If this help is not forthcoming, there should be a "resurrect now" option available to ghosts. Calling an AFK timer a "penalty" is missing the point.

Godspeed likes this.
  5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'm not really concerned about the "point" except to the extent that the "point" is my enjoyment of the game. My ability to play, as opposed to my ability to sit and wait.

The opportunity to be res'd by a teammate doesn't help single players at all.

Again, simple question - would you rather wait 60 seconds or 30 seconds?

6. Drocis the Devious

I wouldn't mind seeing a potion that reduced the death penalty. I had meant to post this as an idea but forgot.

This might get you to where you want to be while still making death come at a significant cost.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Imo if there is a "resurrect now", it should revive you at some place far outside the scene, like the nearest town, with some role-playing context.

8. Sarizaddi

Sarizaddi Avatar

My opinion it should be a cumulative penalty. First death maybe 30 seconds, second death within a certain time, 60 seconds, 3rd death within certain time 120 seconds, 4th death that fast, 240 seconds...

...or something like that.

That way there is minimum penalty for the "oops I didn't see that coming" death, and maximum penalties for someone that is just going to try to spam throwing their body into a meat grinder.

Raven Swiftbow and Moonshadow like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I've always wanted games to make "where you live" be an important factor in death mechanics.

So if you have a house in Britanny, you respawn in Britanny. If you have a house in Owl's Head, you respawn there. If you have 5 houses in 5 different towns, you get to pick where you respawn (but maybe there are limitations to that). If you have NO houses, then you have to bind yourself somewhere and you will always respawn there.

What this does, is it makes players regional and if they travel they have to rebind to some place that is closer to where they are currently or else face a very long trip back home. So now renting and going to an Inn or even sleeping can become a viable part of the game.

10. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

pvpers would have to endure res killings all across the land without the length of the ghost time .... Ressurection is the awnser ....

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Only issue with that is that new, weaker players will be excessively penalized early in their playing experience. Not sure we want to do that.

Not to mention res killing/griefing as @moonshadow mentions above.

12. Sarizaddi

Sarizaddi Avatar

Most games incorporate some sort of Noob Tag or a low-level character forgiveness. UO had the [young] tag. World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, and Rift character under level 5/10 have zero death penalties. Not to mention that in most MMO, new players start in Noob zones, and are not in the main world where greifing is an issue. So really, this conversation is about everyone that has gotten past the Noob status.

I don't think anyone will disagree, the rules for a Noob player need to be a bit skewed. New Players need to be eased in to a new world, a transition period so to speak, with lots of tutorial info. And zero to very little death penalty.

Budner likes this.
  13. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

are you all considering that a 5 seconds timeout on the internet might have you wait 30s, 60s or 120s, right? Just for a short hick-up on the network?
    No, playing from Europe I am absolutely against waiting times as "penalty" for dying.
    If I could at least scout the surroundings with appropriate "ghost speed" (=fast) I might accept a 30 seconds wait, but now it is just pointless. A useless hanging around. I think a button to "respawn now" at an appropriate point (as it is now, but without button) would just shorten the wait.
    This reeks soooo much like pay2play mechanics ...

Budner likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I think the SotA Penalty is very "friendly and soft".

The only reason we have it currently is a Animation to move around and wait until the time runs out.

I would have loved far more a Version that would have required you to have some reason to do something as a ghost to come back to existence.

Running to a Healer, running to a other Player showing up. ( Just as UO)

I am missing totaly the reason to be a ghost that had existed.
    I miss also the fun you could do as a ghost during Ultima.
    I would have loved to be able to do all the emotes as a ghost we could do alive, also being able to Show up as a ghost for the living.
    Not everywhere, but maybe at the graveyard.

But i asume... before i complain that this is just the first step of a ghost.
    And maybe a later Episode they are able to do that. :)

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think you should also have the option to stay a ghost - IF there is more to being a ghost than hovering around and waiting to be resurrected. For example adventures in the "ghost world" etc.

King Dane and Moonshadow like this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

In a truly open world like UO, this made sense, and I liked the ghosting there, although it was frequently VERY frustrating to have to find a healer.

In the SotA world, having to find a healer across instances/maps would be a nightmare.

17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yes! Options are our friends. :D

If you want to resurrect, opt to resurrect. If you want to stay a ghost, opt to stay a ghost until you're ready to return to the world of the living.

18. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

No one has mentioned it in this thread, but the time spent as a ghost surely puts a damper on doing Chillblain's. When we first went through it, we did not have anyone who could rez - just heal.

Budner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.