Which of these commands should be removed at launch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 4, 2014.

?

Which of these commands should be removed at launch?

1. /stuck - reset the Avatar’s position

27.9%
  2. /zone <playername> - Teleport to player (if not blocked and they are not in a dungeon or adventure s

86.9%
  3. /follow - follow the targeted Avatar

27.9%
  4. /home - Teleport to your home

72.1%
  5. /summon { Player Name } Teleports target party member to your location.

83.6%
  6. /summonparty Teleports all party members to your location.

83.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

We're not talking "all forms of rapid travel". We're talking / commands and easy, no cost teleportation. Big difference. There's nothing hard core about it.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am not requesting anything. I am simply stating what is in this game and is planned for this game. This game will have control points: Vertas Pass is one of them.

Vertas Pass: Our newest map is a fortified mountain pass occupied by Dark Elves and is also the first map to feature a snowy environment, including snow (our first weather effect). It can be accessed via the Lunar Rift in Owl's Head. Note that this map will be one of the Control Points in the game and we hope to get it functioning that way as soon as the next release. Excerpt from Arabella’s Journals: “Novia was shattered, as was most all parts of New Britannia, with the fall of the moons. Some regions were laid low, while others rose up, in the mighty cataclysm that reshaped the world. Mountain ranges now segregate wide swaths of Novia, where commerce once traveled easily. Today the few mountain passes that cross these mountains, often become places of ambush or battle, as control of these areas often implies control of the surrounding regions. One such pass which citizens struggle to keep clear is Vertas Pass. Dark Elves, remnants of the Obsidian Wars, feel this pass is within THEIR territory, and bar it from ANY other race. Woe be it to the traveling explorer or merchant, who needs to cross these mountains, when the flag of the Dark Elves flies over the high fortress!”

Travel through these will be dangerous. There is however the option of the Lunar Rift, which might cost some coin.
    To have a game mechanic put in the game that counters the design from the past year would be wrong and flawed in my opinion. Control points are one of the foundations of the game. It is here in game, not what I am requesting.

3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Since when is it considered hard core to use in game mechanics(not a /zone wherever) to play the game? This is simply ridiculous. No one is saying no to moongates and spells in game...what we are saying no to is artificial movement that makes no sense whatsoever....

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You keep suggesting that there are only two ways to get across a map, a control point or a lunar rift. I don't think that is the point of a control point.

RG has described control points as capture the flag, or king of the hill. It is a game in its our right for players to go back and forth of who controls it for a few minutes. If you haven't tried the mechanic as it exists in the game today, grabbing the control point just summons increased mob spawns of Elves. The point is almost a mini-game of how long can you live and control the point. Even when you grab the control point in the mini-game, it does not limit travel of other players in any way across the world map.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that players won't be able to get to towns or their home or buy/sell goods because of control points in scenes like Vertas Point.

FrostII and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Where does any of that make game functions required for travel?

Wouldn't it make more sense for in game objects/spells?

6. Net

Net Avatar

I like them all, though I would like to see some limitations on their use.

They can be exploited in combat (especially summon and stuck) but at the same time they should work even at combat because if you are stuck in combat you do not want to stay there until you die...

I do not want to spend 20 minutes every time in the game walking on map and in random encounters to meet with my friends. Attending in-game events will be really problematic without some kind of direct teleportation.

Lord Baldrith and Gaelis like this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

Actually, yes, that's exactly what a control point does in SotA. Players must capture the control point from MOBs otherwise travel is blocked through it.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Based upon my review of the video concerning Control Points in the mountain pass, they were PVP functionality primarily. I'm assuming eventually player controlled Elves are planned to enter the game and live on the other side of the Control Point. The Control Point will be the separation between the Elven and Human realms and certainly /teleport type commands within that specific zone or past that zone when your side lacks the Control Point should be disabled.

Restrictions should be in place, and can be adjusted in relation to PVP exploitation. Agree Point to Point teleportation should be reserved as a mid to high level magic function. Recall to home should be frequent and available to all. The ability to call an entire group to your location should be supported via a marketplace item that is relatively inexpensive and doesn't need to be purchased repeatedly. The item could be upgradable to decrease the cool down period. Group /recall Level 1: $10 60 min CD, and progressive steps to Level 5: $50 USD 5 min CD.

A Group Teleport item would be the perfect type of ability to sell in the Marketplace. Its purely convenience related, saves time for a bit of money, and would be very popular. Some minimal restrictions in relation to PVP, otherwise fully enabled.

I'll leave it to someone much more artistic to come up with a genre cool name.

Why would anyone object?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  9. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The various rapid travel commands should be replaced with appropriate magic that can't be used easily while in combat and is fully integrated into the games controls.

Selling fast travel for real life cash is terrible. That's exactly the kind of thing that makes me wish I could just pay a monthly sub so I don't have to deal with BS like that where features of the game are intentionally withheld just so they can be sold back to me.

Leos likes this.
  10. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Why in the WORLD do you think removing /stuck is ever a good idea?

FrostII, majoria70, Leos and 2 others like this.
  11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I say we keep it simple /mount, it appears and we ride off into the sunset!

If there is no recall spell we need to keep /home, definitely need to keep /stuck, and /summon should only summon players to you if your not in a dungeon, if you are, you should appear outside of it.
    but if your in a dungeon with your party and you die and respawn back to the entrance it should work to get back with your party!
    Thats the only exception!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You do realize that even on the control point map, you can walk around the control point and completely bypass it, right?

Where did you get the idea that it will block travel on the world map?

FrostII, Lord Baldrith and Net like this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    can you show me where it says that? I understand that control points are a must. If so you would have to go very far out of the way to bypass it. Either way its by game mechanic, and not to be undone by a simple / command.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm honestly at a loss that other then loss and follow people actually think these commands are a good idea for the game?

They cost nothing and allow you to skip alot of things and hop around the map with ease....

I repeat I'm not against having in game spells and items but having the ability to just type /home or /summon or whatever is simply ridiculous....is this actually a game or a social chatroom?

Kaisa likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Skip to 20:14.

"And if you see the way the world, if you can see well enough the mountain ranges of this land you will see, in some cases the mountain ranges continue from one side to another side of the continent. Basically interrupting the easy flow of people and goods across the continent here. And yet you might also notice that there are key points in those mountainous ridges where there are symbols, some that look like skulls, some that look like towers, some that look more like towns or ruins, they're right in those passes that might allow you to migrate from one side to the other of those mountain ranges. Many of those by the way are encounter zones that in Tabula Rasa terms that Starr and I worked together, a bunch of the team did actually by the way on Tabula Rasa as well and one of our favorite features that we're pulling forward is what we used call control points. Things that you know could be under enemy control or could be under human control. And that will be true in these cases. That will make it to where passing from one area of the map to another area of the map might require either finding a lunar rift to transport quickly a great distance across the map. Or hoping you find an open mountain pass and if you can't find an open mountain pass you might have to actually organize a player group to go turn the status of one of these otherwise potentially hostile border crossings."

It's unknown if every control point will have a loophole to discover. Kind of funny that the more obvious ones aren't closed off after presumably decades or centuries of fighting over control :)

16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

/stuck seems like a necessity to address unintended glitches in the game that result in a character being stuck, so that they don't have to wait for personal GM support. Its just a time saver. So long as it cannot be used in combat, it is not highly exploitable. It could also be even less exploitable if it provided a brief health penalty on use so that players didn't use it too much to get back to the entrance to a zone. /stuck really should move the player 10 feet, not back to a zone starting point though.

17. Kittysong2

Kittysong2 Avatar

i think i might be good to remove all but /stuck and /follow
    and replace /home with a consumable item so it is not misused

Kaisa and Leos like this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I agree to remove for ep1 but during testing some of these are incredibly useful for dealing with bugs, especially in places like the challenge dungeon that can randomly just lock half the party in a different room with no way of regrouping other than starting over or /summonparty. Maybe if they only worked on a smaller scale and not globally ?

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Question:
    How does my preferred method of travel in SotA affect your enjoyment in the game?

If you're thinking that - by my /zoning home - you'd be missing out on some sort of chance encounter with me - and that that encounter might be somehow beneficial for you, trust me. Anyone who thinks running the same paths hour after hour, day after day - is somehow enjoyable - isn't anyone who'd appreciate a chance encounter with me.

So really..... why do you seem so intent on forcing your drudgery on our game play - when - allowing us the freedom to /zone home - has absolutely no affect on you.

20. Luznad

Luznad Avatar

I think Most of the commands would be nice Spells ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.