Which of these commands should be removed at launch?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Poor game design, Dec 4, 2014.

?

Which of these commands should be removed at launch?

1. /stuck - reset the Avatar’s position

27.9%
  2. /zone <playername> - Teleport to player (if not blocked and they are not in a dungeon or adventure s

86.9%
  3. /follow - follow the targeted Avatar

27.9%
  4. /home - Teleport to your home

72.1%
  5. /summon { Player Name } Teleports target party member to your location.

83.6%
  6. /summonparty Teleports all party members to your location.

83.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yes by all means let's limit choice. Let's cram us all into little rulesets so we behave instead of have fun.

Lord Baldrith and enderandrew like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's already different. If you go into the mountains of North Paladis, you may find mandrake root that gives a +5% bonus to Healing Potions but -10% to poison. Where as if you got your mandrake root from the Forsaken Vale you might get a +5% bonus to Healing Potions a -5% bonus to poison and a -10% bonus to herbal tea!

Which means nothing if you can just teleport around everywhere because people will just min/max everything without paying the cost of shipping and distribution that comes along with regional trade. Not to mention the fact that trying to travel through those areas will require you to go through control points that may or may not be passable at that time.

So while you may just want to bring your buddy over to your favorite fishing spot...there will be gold farmers that will be summoning each other to the best places around the world so they can dominate the economy.

That's why it's important.

So how about your friends just get in the moon gate, walk a little ways to wherever you guys want to go and you have fun?

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Where have you seen any indication that reagents work differently if purchased in different cities?

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So you're saying they're going to make the planet such a pain in the ass to traverse that regional economies must form. Pretty sure that's not a good game feature.

Lord Baldrith and enderandrew like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I've listened to multiple dev chats and read multiple articles where ALL KINDS of stuff works differently depending on where you get it from.

There's a cooking article that talks about the iron in the pan you're using will change the way your recipes work. So as a chef you'll want to figure out a way to get the right iron for the type of food your cooking.

It's going to be crazy good.

Lord Baldrith, Sebastion and Budner like this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Because the same reason there is no gate spell, that I know of at least. This game is not about instant gratification, it is not hand holding. It is meant to be immersive. Maybe there will be some kind of spell that will teleport groups in game. This has been discussed before. Perhaps with a five man group at a guild stone using some rare reagents would be an option to this kind of travel.

Kaisa and Drocis Fondorlatos like this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

I'm saying that they've been talking about control points acting more like choke points for over a year. That they've been talking about resources being different depending on where they're found (what region).

And I'm saying that it sounds AMAZINGLY cool.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

and trade caravans to traverse also.

9. enderandrew

We already are starting to see that system now. Different items have different effects, which is why you can armor with leather straps, wood straps, cloth straps, etc.

But straps from Owl's Head don't work differently than straps from Ardoris. I think you're confused on that. That would be a ridiculous amount of work from the devs to make variations of every item in the game for different regions. It would be insane for them to spend that much time on making all those items when other core systems haven't been touched.

And spending 20 minutes walking across the map to buy an ingredient for a different bonus with the trade-off that anyone who wants to group has less time to play together because they have to spend so much time travelling just to meet up doesn't seem remotely worth it.

Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

They don't work differently YET.

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

why would they have trade caravans and choke points if people can automatically just get summoned past them?

12. Drocis the Devious

Look. I know most people think of MMO's as WOW and EQ and whatever...

These are very social games, and I have no doubt that SOTA will also be a social game. But SOTA is not going to be Facebook. That's not the point of this game.

Forget what you know about MMO's and use critical thinking skills. Does it make sense to walk 20 minutes to get a few resources if you can develop a relationship with the people that have those resources and convince them to deliver them in bulk to your town? This economy is probably going to be the most sophisticated economy that's ever been attempted in the history of gaming.

13. smack

smack Avatar

This. They wouldn't put control points in the game if you can just teleport anywhere via an exploitable /summon. They give us lunar rifts as alternatives, which is why there are so few of them but they are placed in the major regions. You're just going to have to walk a bit as they are hubs of travel. Or, you go through the control points.

Plus, they have stated beyond just control points that they will force you into a scene if, for example, you cross a bridge where it requires you to do something and not just bypass it on the overworld. They are gating travel. :D

14. enderandrew

Okay, you're saying that we're going to have:

Leather armor with cloth straps
    Leather armor with maple straps
    Leather armor with hardened leather straps
    Leather armor with metal straps

Now multiply each by 13 different regions (Drachvald, Elysium, Forsaken Vale, Grunvald, Hidden Vale, Longfall, Midmaer, Norgard, North Paladis, Perennial Coast, Quel, South Paladis, and Verdantis).

And that is just one of the types of leather armor. Multiply that with normal, augmented, epic, hardened, etc.

Now you have over 200 types of leather armor alone with different effects. You honestly believe that is happening? Again, show me a dev quote on that.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Keep

Stuck........ Well because Stuck happens.
    Follow ......... Well everyone has small things that need to be attended to at a moments notice that does not need to effect your whole party.
    Home...... Home should never be a chore . I follow that treadmill on my day to day adventures ... Don't see the harm in that time sink being overlooked .

Providing we don't have Rune like objects.. I still Miss having my own spots to show up in a city not at a buss depot that everyone has to ride .Public transit is a good thing ..... just not for everyone :)

I would agree to home also costing something reagent ,token ,tooth of most recent victim. OOps I said that out loud ... :)
    Good day Avatars.
    Lor

16. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I would rather like to see in game teleport devices and or runes for home and or getting to places you need to get to quickly.

Follow is good to keep and stuck of course.

Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

The devs have been tight lipped about the whole thing, probably because they don't want to over commit. But they've hinted along the way.

At what point do you stop asking people for quotes. Have I not been here for long enough? Do I randomly make stuff up on these forums?

18. enderandrew

You've said we need to make gameplay decisions based upon the fact that items in different regions will have different effects and you're insistent the devs have committed to this feature. And yet I've never seen or heard of this. So yes, I would like to know where this comes from. If nothing else, in maintaining my FAQ, I always try to keep abreast of the design decisions of the game and maintain accurate information.

What you describe simply doesn't make sense for this small of a team with so much work already left ahead of them, nor have I ever heard mention of it. So until I see some evidence that is what they're going for, I don't believe that to be true. Thusly it is not reason enough to make the game more of a chore and less fun.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

1) This game SHOULD be about instant gratification, at least a significant amount, or it'll never launch.
    2) /summon is not "hand-holding". It is functionality.
    3) Immersion that is forced and alienates a significant portion of the population is counterproductive.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Of course those are your opinions, and not shared by me. We can just agree to disagree. I can understand why people feel like they need these things, as I hope others can see my position.

Falsehood Shadowlord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.