This Day and Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joeDarko, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I hear you on voices joe...There is a lot of community here with great voices. I for one would be willing to add voice in game for no charge...but that's a debate from long ago :)

majoria70 likes this.
  2. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Welcome Joe, I thought I was one of few old timers here. My 1st computer was a kit from Radio Shack a TRS80 Model 3 with 12K of RAM. When I upgraded to 16K I thought that would be enough Ram for a lifetime. I hope to meet you in game some time. Now if we can get "The Old Timers Guild" to open a branch guild office in SotA. Their motto is - Laid back, not too serious, no drama...all about the fun.

3. Batoche1864

Batoche1864 Avatar

Mine was a Model 1 abj I don't know how different the Model 3 motherboard was but I'm guessing if you did the upgrade yourself you went through what I went through. Getting the new ram and then sweating bullets as you took the soldering iron to your motherboard to swap out the chips.

I'd join that guild but I'm guessing the hard part would be finding someone to run it. All the old timers I know are smart enough to know that even if your goal is "Laid back, not too serious, no drama... all about the fun" it takes a metric $#!7 tonne of work to keep it that way LOL

4. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Yeah soldering was a pain in the rear. Most people do not even realize that back in the late 70's and early 80's, computers were more tubes than silicon but the Z80 was OK for its day. Old Timers Guild (OTG) is a long standing guild that has been in and out of many games. oldtimersguild.com Unfortunately, I have not seen any officers here - yet. As for me, I do not mind running with them but I have a small light RP group of family members that I play with. You might check out their web site and see if your interested.
    The journey of a SotA, being developed in this fashion is pretty interesting. Mission creep is a real problem dealt with on a daily basis. Chris refers to it as death by a thousand duck bites. But keep the suggestions coming. You never know what may work well in the system. Well I don't want to hijack your OP so take care and enjoy the trip down SotA lane.

Charli.J, Mark Johnson and joeDarko like this.
  5. tcjennings

tcjennings Avatar

Please no voices. Especially please no amateur crowd-sourced voices. Give us rich dynamic conversation trees, not one-liners and repetitive barks.

6. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Exactly what I thought when I played Fallout 3. Fully voiced, shallow NPCs with generic one-line dialogues. No thanks.

enderandrew likes this.
  7. joeDarko

joeDarko Avatar

Thanks majoria I to have a character in SWTOR.......the voiced NPC are brilliant :). However swords and shields are my first love ...maybe they can implement some voice into the game at crunch moments ..........after rescuing the fair maid..:)

See you in game perhaps ......

joe

Fox Cunning and majoria70 like this.
  8. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Voiced cutscenes are alright, and can actually be really good depending on the acting.
    However, I tend to be against custscenes in RPGs. They give me the feeling of being just following a script rather than playing the game "my way".
    If it is something like "Meanwhile, in the enemy's lair..." then fair enough, but if I lose control of my character and see him acting on a script then that's a different story.

Tahru likes this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

SWTOR had 16 very good voice actors for the 8 main classes (male and female). But they also had a $200 million budget for initial development.

joeDarko and majoria70 like this.
  10. joeDarko

joeDarko Avatar

A lot of moola for sure ..........maybe some voicing will come later on.....If the writing is good and the story is there Im quite happy to read it...:) how about the music and ambient sound is that there....? It will be Christmas before I join the merry throng of Avatars..looking forward to it.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

The bards of the Poet's Circle have contributed some great music to the game. Ambient sounds could be better honestly, but it appears they are working on it.

We look forward to seeing you in game after Christmas then!

joeDarko and Logain like this.
  12. Logain

Logain Avatar

The original posting yields an interesting question to me. Is there enough emphasis on both the benefit of a crowd sourced development (opposed to publisher funded) and the focus / target audience of the game easily accessible? People tend to see the drawbacks all over the place, but hardly ever seem to notice the very positive aspects that came with the decision. And if not, could/should we compile a list and suggest the addition? As I'm not sure it would suite the thread/topic to compile a list, I'm not going to do that in here.

joeDarko likes this.
  13. Anendrue

Anendrue Avatar

Here is the forum to post it in if you wish to.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...of-the-avatar-wish-list-and-stretch-goals.32/

Charli.J and Mark Johnson like this.
  14. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

In this day and age I don't think we shall see any more MMOs if that is like what you are expecting sir. The reason the MMO is failing is due to the fact that nobody can create another WoW. So yes they can spend 100million dollars to create all of these features that you speak of, but the problem is they will never see the return on investment, and then the future updates will get worse and worse because the company is spending less and less resources on that game (because it might be barely turning a profit).

THE REASON SOTA CAN BE BETTER

Even though it doesn't have all the fluffy 100million dollar game polish it will have depth of story and game interaction. Also they started with a small amount of funds and they could be massively successful even if they get fewer players. It is a more logical business plan. So even though the polish isn't there the game features will be fun and it leaves more to the imagination and to role play.

Another good reason SotA can be better is that since they didn't spend too much money to make a return on the investment, they would be more likely to continue making this product flourish rather than pull resources away from the project. ($100million project making only $150million isn't as big of a success as a $5million dollar project making $90million) So if sota is a success we can rest assured they will continue to make it better for years to come. That was a good case scenario but still not the best case scenario.

15. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

But, You NEED to remember this is PRE_ALPHA!! All this is UNDER DEVELOPMENT!
    This is NOT an alpha or Beta release..Read the DISCLAMER!

16. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It's not 1999, voice in game is pretty much required. My character doesn't even yell when he dies :eek:

Lord-Galiwyn and joeDarko like this.
  17. paxprobellum

paxprobellum Avatar

Voices add nothing to the game. I'd rather they implement a feature (any feature!) instead of voices.

Fox Cunning and GraveDncer like this.
  18. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

At least we have Avatar's Radio...that's some voice :)

19. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

+1

20. joeDarko

joeDarko Avatar

Voices add nothing to a game....!! Have you played SWTOR or Skyrim.....imagine those without voice.....I must beg to differ they add another level of immersion surely..? and no I'm not calling you Shirley ....:)

majoria70, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.