Where should I start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gypsy Lou, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

Where to start my adventures? I've just entered the game for the first time and I find myself in a placed called Braemar. Got some equipment and ran around killing stags. Looked around at the skill system and realized that this whole deck building concept is going to require some learning curve.

So I found this small dungeon called "Chillblain's Compendium of Pain and Suffering". Stags, no problem. But the wolves handed me my ass repeatedly. I'm not obviously not sufficiently skilled up yet to fight in there. But how would I know? This is my starting zone, so I would assume that I should be able to kill things in this zone.

I'm not looking for hand holding, I prefer the joy of discovery, but I must confess I'm at a total loss trying to figure out what I can or should do in order to advance my character. The only wildlife running around here are stags and killing them is getting old.

I would greatly appreciate a few suggestions on where I should start and what I should be doing upon entry to this new world.

Thanks!

2. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Unless you are playing in SPO mode, the best thing would be to find someone to group with. That's fairly easy and there's a lot of people hanging around in all towns. Feel free to add me to your friends list too.

smack and enderandrew like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi again wanderlust. I don't think you'll be able to complete that dungeon by yourself, especially when you get to the liches. If you raised some levels you might do some of it alone. So I haven't been in R13 yet since I'm not on steam, so I'll play after while it is 2:50 am here. lol So last release R12, I created a warrior type, I know they nerfed some things or think they did. Anyway I had to wear augmented plate bought from a vendor in owlshead shopping area around the tented area. I got focus all the way to the bottom to reduce fizzle and made it so I could lock 2 skills which were heal and fire arrow, not necessarily the best for the release but these are just ideas. I put points in tactics healthy and others strength included, I used bludgeon and put points in those mostly, the hard hitting and stun, knockback, points in heal tried to limit that but gave healing points to extra strength feature, put points in heavy armor and the one that reduces slugs too. Anyway I killed bears for leather, they give more between 1-4 wolves give less, crafted leather chest with straps to sell to get my house. Ok so the trainer I know about is in owlshead by the tents, you have to see him to create a new deck. So if you have more questions please ask, these are just ideas from me, many people have done it other ways and are doing great too, plus things have changed up a bit this time. Plus look for the tour guides, most of them are in dangerous places usally you can run to get to them if you are tricky, but you may have to level up a bit for some of them. Ok sorry for spoilers, just wanted to throw you some ideas before I get some sleep. If you're around let me know anytime if you have questions in game or here.

PS sorry I wasn't ingame so I couldnt remember the names of skills I chose or how many exact points, but it'll give you something to think about.;)

Kaisa, smack and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  4. Gundahar

Gundahar Avatar

The beginning can be hard but it becomes easier with every level.

First thing is, to acquire better weapons and a more protective armor. Move to Owls Head and take the Lunar Rift there to Solace Bridge, Kobold War Camp or Ferigs War Camp. There you can find free 1h, 2h and range weapons. Armor is more difficult. I wanted to craft my own one but there are no iron ore nodes in low-level zones. So I hunted wolves and took their hides to Bodean who pays 10g for each one. Once you have a full set of plate armor the little critters will barely hurt you anymore. And don't forget to spend your skill points accordingly. The trainer can completely reset it if you want to switch from plate warrior to a ranger or caster type.

Kaisa, smack and majoria70 like this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Hey wanderlust - welcome to the party!

First off - do NOT go to Chillblain's Compendium. This is a dungeon deliberately built by the developers, and meant to be almost impossible - especially as you progress. I "conquered" it with a group of 4 others, and I was at level 35. And I still died several times!

Think of this as a typical RPG. You start off pretty weak, but you will build up experience and skills. If you exit Braemar, you can access other areas. Walk along the road, you will find many areas you can enter. The forest areas close to Owls head aren't too bad - the elves are a bit tough, especially for a new adventurer, and you may die a lot - but you build up experience, and from the ones you kill you can salvage swords and stuff.

Once you garner a bit of experience, you can go to any town (Owls Head or Braemar, but any will do) you will find a skills trainer. Talk to him, for a small price you can allocate skill points to various attributes in the many skill trees. Takes a bit of trial and error, but you will get the hang of it. Also, any stuff you have salvaged from corpses you can sell to merchants (gold!!). Once you have gold, you can buy better armour, and so it goes. You are eventually not a puny weakling that gets knocked over straight away; you are a force to be reckoned with!

Best of luck - hope to see you in New Britannia!

Kaisa, Sebastion, smack and 2 others like this.
  6. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

If you're playing today, you might have time to complete the R12 Welcome Quest before R13 goes live later today. But since you don't know your way around, this would probably only be possible if you found someone in-game who would take you to all the Welcome Quest tour guides. I don't know how many experienced players will be logged in today, since most are probably waiting for R13. Out of curiosity, I just took a stroll to Owl's Head and only saw 3 players in the whole town. Otherwise only NPCs.

The quickest way to level up is to have someone take you into their party so you profit from the conquest of the entire party. Experienced players should be able to give you better armour they have looted. The animals (wolves, bears, spiders) in the North Vale and South Vale Roads are good first targets to level up.

Luckily, when you load up R13, there will be tons of players trying to complete the R13 Welcome Quest, and you can team up with people to form a party and go adventuring together. Don't hesitate to chat with other players - I have found people to be friendly and helpful.

To get up to speed on the deck system (and other aspects of the game), check out tutorial videos on YouTube, especially TheMadHermit's channel.

The dungeon you found in the Braemar graveyard is not a beginner's dungeon, and people usually form parties to enter it as a group, although there may be some powerful heroes who complete it alone. Since this is still pre-alpha, as far as I know there is no rhyme or reason why this difficult test dungeon is in Braemar.

Good luck and feel free to add Kara Brae to your friends list.

smack likes this.
  7. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

By the way, keep your eye on the Community Events Calendar. Aside from the Avatar's Radio programming schedule, tournament announcements and other gatherings, there are sometimes events for new players to help them find their way around SOTA.
    http://avatarscircle.com/community-events/

smack and enderandrew like this.
  8. Lano

Lano Avatar

Hail Wanderlust, i too have discovered the same things as you mention here.
    I also found myself confused and running around like a chicken without a damn head....
    i rarely follow quests, i like to "make my own path" cuz im "sick like that" - and everyone knows: Even the unknown roads lead to some sort of destination or knowledge.. Dont follow a path, make your own and leave a trail.

The dungeon you mention, i've ben there, i had the same trouble with the wolves, they kicked my ass, three times in a row...
    And i expect the next "levels/testes" to be even harder, so yeah, team up, i am happy to give it a try with you.

I found that exploring around in the nearby zones was the fastest way for me to gain exp. Once you get to lvel 6 you can reset your skilltree and build it to your liking.
    Also start with getting some better weapons and maybe some armor if you plan on getting "the heat on"

A nice tip is to keep moving when you fight monsters up close, they all seem to hit and move way slower than you do, so as long as you just circle them you can easily kill some wolves and bears and skeletons that otherwise would spank you if you were just standing still.

And as far as magic goes, start out with the spells that require the shortest cast time, i found that better as long as i explore alone, they may cause lower dmg than the timed ones, but they make you have more spells ready faster so you can deal out some dmg if you get surrounded by enemies.

Add me in game, i just started a new char yesterday goes by same name as my profile here, i would be more than happy to act as, and have some backup on my quests in this harsh world :)

- Catch you on the flipside

smack likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

But at least do the quest to get the rare hats by talking to the tour guides. They attach to your account. I missed the first one, but I've gotten the others.
    You can hurry to get the one from R12 before the patch for R13 gets in.:) Also lord enmar pays a lot for the ectoplasm you find, well quite a bit. hes in owlshead
    on an 2nd floor, you have to talk to him to know his name, then you can sell him ectoplasm whenever you get it.

10. Curgon

Curgon Avatar

Welcome! I am also new as well, and was lost as to what to really go after, I did find a tad bit more pray, advance too, to fight with not too far away. (Been solo'ing since I started)

Add Curgon Lamora to your friends list. :)

smack and majoria70 like this.
  11. Gundahar

Gundahar Avatar

Bye the way, figuring out what do is more fun as if everything would be accessible and transparent from the very beginning.

I was desperately looking for a cloak but couldn't find one. Until I headed to Owls Nest, moved all the way down to the cave bottom, killed the Necro and his minions and opened the chest there.

Sebastion and majoria70 like this.
  12. Curgon

Curgon Avatar

I havent been that far yet, I am still killin the wolves and Elk. I think now I am standing my ground with the Kobolds.

13. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

There is. You just weren't looking hard enough. Either that or people were beating you to it. :p

14. Curgon

Curgon Avatar

I have yet to play with crafting, however I am looking to start tonight. Not sure where to collect resources, I have seen like, cotton and collect leather from animals, but metal and wood (Assume trees in a certain area) I cannot locate.

15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Trees with reddish leaves can be collected. Metals and such are stuck on rocks AFAIK - at least the ones I come across so far in the lower map does. Most are visibly different from the rock they stick to.

16. Curgon

Curgon Avatar

I have training points to spend on them, however the crafting trees are blank? If that makes sense

17. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Note that both the trees and ore nodes sparkle.You may have to have the tool in your inventory though not sure.

Also the random encounters have resources now as well. Which is much better than it was.

18. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Not sure if you are referring to the crafting ones. But they are not in yet. Mine says i have 8 points to spend but there is no way to spend them yet.

19. Curgon

Curgon Avatar

Yup that was the answer I was looking for. Same predicament.

Sebastion likes this.
  20. Siderious

Siderious Avatar

I started about a couple of days ago. I was lucky enough to get the R12 hatswag. I had a blades character, but felt I needed more punch. I re-skilled re-skilled everything and went for an archer character, but could not quite get used to it. Also, arrows are expensive. Tonight, I followed the tips from majoria70 on making a blugeon character with fire arrows, and I am having some good results. I still need to find Enmar. What are some beginner quests that folks can recommend? I did the missing ale shipments one from the Innkeepers in Braemar/Kingsport already :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.