Movement in SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Should character movement be penalized or restricted when fighting in SOTA

1. I think combat movement should be penalized and here is why!

33.3%
  2. I think combat movement should not be penalized and here is why!

66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know we are not completely sure of all the game content and all at this point but this is in speculation only. So in thinking of how movement will work in SOTA and affect our avatars as I've heard in some post such as imposing penalties for movement in combat, I am not sure I'd be at all in favor of this.

Already I am the most terrible of jumpers, you can ask those who played in the challenge dungeon with me, they were pushing my butt up the ledge everytime jk. Actually I ended up zoning to them or we'd have been there all day;)

So depending on what you fight and ***majoria of course wishes for dragons*** **wink** **wink**.

So purley for example since all the types and toughness of all of monsters, content, taming ability in general aren't known at this point, say we have an extremely tough monster, maybe a dragon since I like them lol, who does a multitude of different damages, maybe an ice dragon who freezes and slows you, or it could be a fire dragon who burns you or causes you to have smoke inhalation sickness or something. lol ;)

Anyway I'm just thinking usually you would need to get out of the way of these attacks and perhaps pot shot this nasty creature and hide and pot shot again. So for movement penalties I just wonder how restricting and penalizing our movement would affect the fun and challenge of fighting such a creature and just fighting in general. This creature is terrorizing the village after all.;)

I know I am talking from experiencing other games I've played and this is not them, but I am so used to being able to kite a creature or even kite an enemy in general.

So in considering movement penalties, will that be a fun thing to have? or can I move and manuever around as I desire? I don't generally love to do polls but no worries I will do one for fun. Also the video is cool, the dragon lore in Skyrim was awesome. This Video does not show the dragon off since it seems a bit muted.

Time Lord, Caliya and Tahru like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

That is a very good point you are making. However, is it the case that movement is penalized or is it the case that stillness is rewarded? I am against penalizing movement, but I am for rewarding stillness.

3. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

In rewarding stillness, they are penalizing movement.
    I honestly think movement should be penalized (or stillness should be rewarded but same thing) if it makes sense. It makes sense that someone using a bow and an arrow should be as still as possible to aim-but if they move, it should seriously increase their chance to miss.

Mages, I think it would depend on the magic system but you can certainly make the argument either ways.

Melee characters, in my opinion, should be able to move around because standing still only makes sense in some circumstances. Generally you are trying to move your opponent or you are moving away from your opponent when you have a sword fight. A mage and an archer are ranged attackers so it makes sense that they can stand still-they can attack anyone they want within range.

A melee warrior on the other hand has to move if they want to face a different opponent. If you, as a warrior, are facing a mage, giving the mage a bonus for standing still helps them because you have to go to them as a warrior. That's not fair and it's not really balance. Generally only for PVP but if monster NPCs get stillness bonuses, then it affects PVE as well.

Now in a game like this, you as a warrior tend to stand still anyways because of the way MMORPG style-combat is created: monsters come to you, you wack them, and then you move on. If you move around in PVE, you risk aggro. A more realistic combat system would have the NPC warrior and the PC warrior move around a bit. Not enough to necessary agro but enough where you should be able to direct where you are going or where your opponent is going for strategy-would add depth to the game. Alas, I doubt this will happen.

Overall, I'm mixed. I'd prefer it if stillness bonuses were only applied to archers/mages and warriors got a movement bonus, but only if movement was tied into how combat works. Otherwise stillness bonuses for everyone.

Logain, Time Lord and Tahru like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Clearly combat movement should be penalized, and here's why: Latency

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

So a PVEr should have penalties because PVP has latency?

Sorry but I don't think that should drive the decision for every player.

Logain and Time Lord like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

You don't need to move in PVE. The game is being designed so you can literally stand there and fight. It's not balanced now, and you can maximize your success in PVE by running around like a fool. But it's not being designed to do that.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Would much rather they look to fix the technical and software issues before enforcing a game design that isn't overly appealing.

8. Drocis the Devious

I would too. But my personal experience is that no game ever gets this right. Some players benefit from it (and say they have "skillz") and other players do not benefit from it and get "owned".

If the internet were the type of place where this wasn't likely if not completely predictable, I'd be all for exploring whatever technical solution would be necessary.

Here's another GREAT example (and a funny one) of what it looks like on the other side of the fence for someone that has a poor connection. They have a BIT of an advantage. :)

You have to kind of fast forward to where they're fighting on the island to see what I'm talking about. Some players are "running in place" and getting blown up while the guy making the video is just killing them at will (because of his bad connection). Also the video overall was pretty funny, imo.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

In agree, however the game should be in a position where the majority of game players don't really notice any major difference. I would really like them to look at the software and technical issues first so they can then establish exactly how bad the latency issues really are. As it stands, sometimes I can log on the game and it seems to run ok....other times it's awful and all this changes each release as well.

Fox Cunning and Time Lord like this.
  10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Combat movement should not be penalized?

Why? 2 reasons

1. You already get penalized enough in this game
    2. Its a GAME. Too many penalties are bull****, not fun

Time Lord and Caliya like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

My problem with that is that is I can't tell what's lag and what's my horrible pvp skills. Fights don't last very long, and it really only takes an extra hit or two before you when a fight vs. lose one.

I don't like this - not knowing if I'm losing because I stink or if there was just a glitch in the system, a bug in the network code, or if it was the internet being the internet. What happens if the devs create the most stable game in the history of online gaming but it just so happens that good PC or bad PC, you being in England are going to end up losing to just about anyone in the US? Is that acceptable? Because I'm fairly certain that there will be people that fall into this category (as they always do).

That's why I'm a fan of putting turn-based "elements" into the game that help keep the playing field more "fair" on average for the masses. I know it's not popular and that many pvper's want as close to an FPS as possible. But I don't think that this is a majority of people that play this game. I believe that if you really tried to nail it down, most players would say they favor BALANCE over twitch. I can't prove this, and I'm not trying to talk for anyone but myself. But I don't see a lot of people saying "Yeah, make an imbalanced game that makes bad players good and good players bad...that's fine as long as it's fast and twitchy".

The problem is that game designers are good at making it "look" like what's happening on the client side is just someone else being better when in the reality is likely that they're seeing and playing the game in a technical environment where you can't possibly compete. Turn-based elements can make this less of a problem.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Unfortunately I don't know a great deal about this kind of stuff. I suppose in my mind (rightly if wrongly), optimise the software as much as possible, fix the bugs, see what the latency is like.... Someone with say a ping of 20 will maybe get a reasonable advantage over someone abroad who may ping say 200..... So is it possible to make it feel like a 150 ping on average to those with better connections?....... As I say, I don't know enough about this kind of stuff... Can only mention what in my mind feels like more obvious solutions.

It just feels a lot more needs to be done and tested before resorting to pure game mechanics to resolve an issue that we don't really know enough about at the moment.

Fox Cunning and Time Lord like this.
  13. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

As a mage, part of my survival is kiting. With the movement penalties, it makes that type of play less powerful. I understand the reason for movement penalties...but I would wonder if there should be a focus skill that lessens movement penalty for mages and archers. With more skill, don't you get better at aim?

**I agree, we need dragons and more creature types Majoria :) Getting sick of undead and spiders!

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think with the most recent alteration, if a Mage wears full cloth and invests enough points in the reduce fizz part of focus (last expensive skill available) it's is possible to move and cast without fizzling...... I actually quite like this as it gives the player more choice. The just need to ensure that it is balanced.

Logain, Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Ah, I didn't know this helped in fizzling with movement. I wear cloth as my mage class. I will make sure to try that when playing my mage again. (Full plate/swords are the only viable build currently)

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If you press 'v' you will see your fizz chance, if you move around it will increase......so you want to get a negative fizz chance whilst standing still.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In an ideal world, I think it should be rewarded.

Due to technical limitations, I understand why they are trying to penalize it. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it.

Net and Time Lord like this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I really hate that we cannot left click look around while moving. Can anyone explain how I can run in a straight line while looking behind me? I have tried and tried to no avail. I cannot find any options in the controls to fix this.

19. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

I am not going to vote because I hate combat as it is now already. That being said, movement is already a penalty because of auto-attack. If you move your characters random swing will probably miss. Or you will be 20 feet away and it will still hit.

Don't get me started on range attacks.

*mumbles*

Sir_Hemlock and Time Lord like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Here's a few reasons to dance ;)

I think that explains it...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.