New player starting out

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by The Old Farmer, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Old Farmer

The Old Farmer Avatar

Well I fired this up today and well I can murder the hell out of a rabbit and a stag 1 fricken wolf slaughters me in a couple of hits. What am I doing wrong or is SoA just that brutal?

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

My bes advice is to watch some of the videos by The Mad Hermit:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMadHermitGaming

3. The Old Farmer

The Old Farmer Avatar

Thanks for the link Envy. I will try mucking with the combat deck and see if it make a difference.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  4. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Welcome Farmer

5. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Well to the community Old Farmer.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  6. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

First few levels are murder, kind of backwards from what it should be but we are cannon fodder atm.

TheMadHermit likes this.
  7. Owain

Owain Avatar

I would suggest going up to the kings road instance north of Braemer and killing small wolf spiders while farming crafting materials for a couple of levels. Try to take one at a time, and don't be ashamed of running. Don't be tempted to take on wolves, bears, or skeletons until you improve your armor. A shield is useful starting out as well.

Etheom and TheMadHermit like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

A bit of armour will help considerably, welcome aboard :)

TheMadHermit likes this.
  9. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Welcome The_Old_Farmer!

TheMadHermit likes this.
  10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Hail and welcome!

SotA is characteristic of many RPGs I guess, and certainly the Ultima genre. When you first start out you are pretty weak and pathetic. There's not much you can kill, and you need to pick your battles very carefully. But with each (small) victory you accumulate experience, and you pick up (some) gold and maybe weapons, once you get around to killing elves and such.

The experience will get you skill points (you get better, smarter, have more combat moves etc), the gold will buy you armour, and you can sell weapons and stuff to get even more gold.

Keep your head down and tread carefully for a while - once you've advanced quite a few levels (very doable) you can walk around with much more confidence!

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to you The old farmer. Yes I agree regarding armor. As soon as I could I put on heavy armor. Even if I would have wanted to be a mage which I don't it helps you stay alive.
    You can always try a mage later when your level is up. Of course just what I did not saying you have to lol;)

TheMadHermit likes this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

13. The Old Farmer

The Old Farmer Avatar

Thanks for all the advice. Well I sort of figured out what I was doing wrong and it mostly had to do with deck creation and what I thought was a "starter" dungeon (the portal by the grave yard) in the first town you portal in on. I incorrectly assumed that as it was a cakewalk to slaughter the 3 stags it would continue on as such, but the next 3 wolves were very very nasty and kept killing me so I figured I was doing some thing wrong. I was able to help out the guard captain in Owl's Head and the quest XP gave me enough of a boost that I was able to push through and am now having quite a bit of fun.

One defiantly has to tread carefully and head North out of the gate as any other direction is brutal. And running is your friend too as most critters will give up after chasing you a bit so as long as you don't annoy more you can usually get a breather.
    hope this helps another new player starting out.

Hope to see you all in the blighted land.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Ha - yes, that is the "challenge" dungeon. It's a bit of sadistic delight from the developers. Starts easy, then gets impossible, and goes on from there.

I have actually traversed that dungeon - in company with 4 others - and when I was about level 35. Still died a few times, and the last room has about 12 liches in it - serious stuff!!

But there are many less challenging and much more pleasant places to explore while you are developing your character and skills:)

15. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Do keep in mind also that we are still deep in Beta-land here, so A) rules are subject to rampant change without much warning, and B) when that happens you WILL be facing character resets, so don't get TOO attached to that character.

16. The Old Farmer

The Old Farmer Avatar

Oh I totally understand Beta and character wipe will happen and at this point am just dabbling to see where they are at in the development process. I won't get serious until release I have way too many games to play and never enough time. So far so good though.

@ Asclepius Oh ya I never got past the wolves but if it progresses beyond at the same rate I can see where it will be some nasty. Ya once I learned to run away to take on critters one at a time things got much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.