The over world map should show other players.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by austinjg, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do know this whole game is instancing right?

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

It wouldn't show everyone, just like you don't see everyone inside of a scene -- its selective multiplayer -- the game uses logic to figure out who you're going to see.

There would still have to be a logic behind it so it isn't just random people.

I'd like to see player campfires at some point, too.

3. smack

smack Avatar

The Hidden Vale (overworld) is exactly that. It's actually an instance with special logic to currently only show you your Party members.

As others have said here, we will have Roving Encounters in a future release. It has been speculated, but unconfirmed, if you will be able to see Friends or Guild members.

It has been said that for contraband quest where you are flagged PvP, that others may see you on the overworld, depending on the mechanics of that quest. For general PvP or warfare, it's unknown how this would work.

And no, you won't see everyone that is online on the overworld map. As stated above, it's essentially an instance right now with special logic to control who you can see. They could easily turn up or down that player limit just as with any other instance.

I'm also looking forward to seeing weather represented on the map -- and hopefully, it will match what's in the scene underneath it.

Tahru likes this.
  4. austinjg

austinjg Avatar

Yeah, but it's instancing done out of necessity rather than to separate you from everyone else as far as I have seen. Instances only seem to kick in if a zone has so many people that it becomes unstable.

I'm okay with that. I'm not a fan of the WoW style of instancing. In other words, going into a dungeon and being cut off from everyone but your group.

5. Busker

Busker Avatar

Mount and blade has an overworld like this but you can see other groups moving around.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Actually, they plan on having scenes like that that are story related for instance you have to meet a king and it will make your own instance.

7. austinjg

austinjg Avatar

I can deal with that. There are some places where instancing makes sense. I just usually don't like it when it's done on dungeons and the world itself. It's okay if it's within reason, and for specific things. But I'm from the EQ era, so I love seeing people run around and talking to each other. :)

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.