The over world map should show other players.

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by austinjg, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. austinjg

austinjg Avatar

I think the game would be a lot more immersive if you could see other players running around on the over world map. In online mode of course. You go to towns and zones and see other people, it just seems weird that you don't see them on the over world map as well. Would be cool if people could talk to each other on this map as well. People could hang out outside of the zone to form groups and what not.

Just a suggestion.

Kendric Darrow and Tarsin like this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

There will be a lot more activity happening on the overworld map later on. As for players, the only plan I've heard for that was other players in your party.

Tahru and Pedro Luis like this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Although an interesting idea, the mechanics of it would be a bit crazy...if you saw everyone on the map at any given time the map would have players running everywhere....hopefully they do as solstice has said and show your party members.

Pedro Luis and Budner like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The could always treat the map like any other instance with respect to other players. Party, guild, friends etc.. May not be without issues though. For example: PvPers would want to engage each other. How would that work? Would it be allowed? Would it pull you into an encounter scenario but for PvP? It could make it difficult to really get anywhere if you're just trying to travel.

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

True Bowen. Including friends-list, guildies, and party members would definitely be workable. Additionally, if/when the game has a guild conflict system, include your enemies as well.

6. austinjg

austinjg Avatar

The idea was really just to make the over world map active. I feel as if it's pretty jarring that you can be in a town with people running about, then you go on to the map and there's no one there. It's empty, when really it shouldn't be.

Another potential solution would be to only have another player shown when he's within 10 to 20 feet of you. So you can see people pass you by, but you won't see people in the far off areas unless you get close to them.

Just a thought.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

We're going to have roving encounters.

If we see players on the map, it'll be limited, but there are some scenarios -- like for instance the devs have gave the example that a player carry contraband might want to go off road to avoid being caught.

Originally the devs were suggesting they'd show the player coat of arms on the map, that was before they moved to the 3D map and put your avatar walking around. That would have been a lot less immersion breaking. I still hope they work the coat of arms in some how by the player models on the map, city coats of arms above the cities would also be nice.

8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The distances are so compressed on the overland map, the 10-20 foot, or even 50-100 foot ranges might be difficult to make viable. Much beyond that and I would question the need to even see them, when compared to the other options to see players already presented.

I always thought of overland maps as a metaphor, like cut scenes in Indiana Jones movies, not actual areas for gameplay.

Budner likes this.
  9. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

It's a cool idea and I think it would help a lot with feeling part of a busy world rather than everything feeling disjointed and split. Even if other people were visibly much smaller than you and your party as they walk around that would add alot.

10. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

What if I don't want someone hunting me down or finding me? I'm not sure I want everyone to know where I am on the map if they're not in my party.

And when this game reaches 100,000+ sales, it would be pretty crazy with a single server to show everyone on the world map.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not everyone would have a coat of arms though so there would have to be some kind of place holder for those who didn't have one.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, although that was the plan when we thought each coat of arms would have to be done individually.. I'm hoping that since there's a generator, every player can have the chance to have one.

If they don't, yes, there needs to be some type of place holder.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's the key word isn't it? Chance. The point I'm making is not everyone will start with one.. and not everyone will obtain one. So players will always exist who do not have a coat of arms. Generator or not.

The last they spoke of it.. players have to go to the College building to access the generator in-game and register their arms. So it's not something the majority of players will be able to start out with.

redfish likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It would be neat to have some roving monsters on their to make it seem more alive, I hope we see this soon. It definitely would look a lot closer to ultima then...

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I had been thinking in R12-13 that SotA was beginning to remind me of a cross between older Ultimas and NWN. :) Having a populated map will go a long ways. I'm really looking forward to it.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm still hoping we get weather affects and fog etc on the main map.....make it a bit more alive.

smack and Budner like this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That would be exceedingly cool. The tricky bit is showing the effects of regional weather on the map itself. I'm not holding my breath for EP1 for that one but in terms of stuff like rain and snow etc.. hmmm still not holding my breath but I'm hopeful they'll get something in.

I'd love to be able to see what the weather is like before entering an area.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really...in my limited programming knowledge I would think that would be pretty easy....you have a variable for weather per region that should be shared between scenes and map....then weather should match in both locations...

So, if it's raining over owls head it should be raining in the scene. I'm thinking they just haven't got that far into it yet.

smack, Budner and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, it wouldn't be difficult. The most difficult thing would probably be thinking about how to place the cloud graphics so they don't obscure what's going on underneath... but I think that can be done when all is said and done.

I'd still be interested in seeing seasons get in the game with things like changing trees and snow buildup. Originally, the devs said this would be too difficult... but I've seen some Unity videos... :O

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. austinjg

austinjg Avatar

Instancing would take care of that. Though I'm not a fan of instancing, EQII had a system in place that would work. When a zone reached a certain amount of people, a new zone would open up. There was a UI option that allowed you to switch between instances, in case your friend was in another instance.

That, or as I mentioned above, only showing people who are close by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.