Investing in SotA?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Docktor, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Docktor

Docktor Avatar

Is there a way to invest in the game? In the future, long after the June deadline, I will have an influx of money to play with. I'd like to help the game by investing either in it or the company. How would I do that?

Logain, Caliya, Leos and 4 others like this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Addon-Store and Episode 2 I suspect.

Tahru and Koldar like this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Crowd-investing is sadly illegal in the United States because investments are federally regulated. Portalarium couldn't give you equity through something like Kickstarter.

If you had truly serious capital and wanted a stake in the company, I'd contact Richard and/or Dallas.

If you just want to support the game, get a large pledge, buy copies for others, spend money in the stretch goal store (Donkeys and Llamas!), etc.

Leos, 4EverLost, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  4. Docktor

Docktor Avatar

I'm not sure if I'd call $20k-$25k serious capital or not. But thanks for your help!:)

Tahru likes this.
  5. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

stretch goals are also good.

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  6. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

If you want to invest it without any big bureaucracy you can support events like writing contest and others with gifts in form of 10$ store credits or other things. It will help the community to grow together and you can invest your money.

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  7. Docktor

Docktor Avatar

The problem is my money may not come in until between August 2015- February 2017.

Tahru likes this.
  8. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

This game will not launch before this years end and like Envy said, there are future episodes where you can invest. And there is also the possibility to support SotA indirect over community projects like supporting avatarsradio or sotawiki. They need also money to improve or keep up the service.

Heradite and Tahru like this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Make a large pledge at Episode 2....... I'm sure there will be some kind of funding similar to the current.

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Give me your cash, and I will make sure you own some equity. :D

One Zero, Tahru, Leos and 3 others like this.
  11. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

Episode two will have plenty of chances for getting cool sruff. A whole new run of PoT's and I'm guessing much more. Bank your bread and wait to see what ep2 brings. ;)

Tahru and Leos like this.
  12. Zerk2012

Zerk2012 Avatar

I don't think they will stick with the june deadline, because they are going to keep pushing the release back till around 2017 so they will still need new revenue.

Docktor and Tahru like this.
  13. enderandrew

Give Budner all your cash and he will teach you a very valuable lesson in fiscal responsibility.

Logain, lollie, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  14. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

You can start off slow with the maximum pledge currently affordable and then when you receive your funds increase your pledge. Not sure what else you're expecting?

Until you have the money, you don't have the money.

If the funds are guaranteed and depending upon the types of funds, I know there are ways to cash out early for a significant loss or get a bank loan using the future funds as collateral and then invest in the game via stretch goals and pledges. I'm quite certain you could easily spend $100k on Shroud without blinking an eye. Between pledges, stretch goals, and Player Owned towns.

Great idea would be to buy out the remaining Metropolis and have your entire corner of the map. Would be amazing.

Docktor, Tahru and Heradite like this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

To add to Envy's posting - There will also be episodes 3 - 5 that are planned to be made.

Tahru and E n v y like this.
  16. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

I hate to see people consider throwing that much at a video game even though this game is already great, invest your money in something you can show for. It's fine to make a donation to the server to help it, but to drop 30k? That seems really crippling unless you have a million in the bank.

Edit : I see your name is doctor so you probably have the extra to invest considering I got charged like 15k for stitches etc.. after wrecking my motorcycle, so by all means invest it.

lollie, Tahru, Leos and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

If you have that kind of money that's guaranteed (like some sort of trust fund that you can get at a certain age?), like Greyfox suggested, you may be able to get a loan against your money, etc.

Now if I had that kind of money that I was going to spend in SotA (after I upgrade my boat, of course ;) ), I would get The Lord of the Manor Pledge. Then I would buy a metropolis (possibly a couple extra city lots (so I could place stables, etc) and maybe a couple extra town lots (for country estates or property in other major cities)), and then throw some money towards horses or pack animals stretch goals :)

lollie, Heavy Smoker and Tahru like this.
  18. Docktor

Docktor Avatar

The money is coming from a med- mal suit I am involved in. Supposedly in the first part of the settlement I will net ~$190k and the second part will be ~$600k. The name I chose is in honor of Dr. Who.

19. enderandrew

I'm sorry you had to endure whatever led to that suit.

If you want to invest for the purpose of getting equity, you'd need to talk to Richard and Dallas. If you just want to support development, you can throw money at a player owned town, a high pledge, stretch goal items, add-ons, etc. Or buy copies and distribute them to friends.

Lord Baldrith, Docktor and Jatvardur like this.
  20. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I agree with the overall sentiment you have received so far.

If you are looking for some sort of equity in Portalarium then you'd have to send a message to the devs. Naively, I don't think they are looking for any more equity unless it is millions. I could be wrong, so it is worth asking (you lose nothing but some of your time). :)

If you want to help the game grow then consider the options suggested above. If you are more of a solo player then go for a larger pledge value, and if you know someone who will be happy to play with you then consider donating a pledge to them too. If you like the idea of having multiple houses then you could even consider multiple accounts / pledges. This would allow you to place houses in several different towns.

There is also the stretch goals and add-on store items. Both of which are very likely to provide rare items. Quite a few items are no longer sold so you will need to wait until launch in order to buy them. If you enjoy aspects such as leading a guild then you might also consider become a town leader. The POTs are not too expensive but provide a nice way of adding more funds to the game.

One strategy could be to buy a large pledge value which would provide you main house, then you could buy some lower pledge levels to enable house in different towns. Your own POT on top of that would be icing on the cake. A LOTM is circa 12k (you could add RF status too by pledge merging), plus a POT (5k for a metro), plus some other pledges for additional housing (could be 1k or 100k). You could easily drop 20k without even touching the stretch goals or add-on store.

Lord Baldrith, Tahru and Docktor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.