Potential new player..need your views on sota

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rubyhorse2, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

welcome!

Its kinda like when your mom is baking a pie in the kitchen. right now is when she is putting the pie dough in the pan. soon she will put the delicious filling in there. you could go in there and offer some help, maybe you will get to lick the spoon, but the truth is, it will be a while before anyone sits down and eats a slice of pie.

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome Rubyhorse2. Well hopefully you have listened to the different thoughts from people. Anyway so why you say are these thoughts so different? So you said you have played Ultima was that UO or offline? Anyway I think it would
    be easy to say what I feel about this game which I do very often, but just imagining that I walk into this game and don't know anything, like how to travel, where to travel to, how does anything work, and where is anything, don't know
    anyone, or even what do I do. Now that would not be a game/ or as in this case a game in development that would seem like it could be any fun. Right?

Now I have been in a situation of many of those circumstances except for this is my first game in development and also kickstarting is a first for me.

So what to expect is why you are reading these posts and others have given you many ideas and their view of the game so far. One thing though is that perhaps some were before the new release which added the most gorgeous map
    of Novia. I just want to log on to the game and stay on that map, it is so perfectly gorgeous. I have never seen anything like it, it is still a bit buggy and brand new, but that will be taken care of as we go along. Also what I've seen in
    regards to people who are new since I've been around a while is, I've seen them either leave without the discoveries, or I've seen them change. It might be one word someone says to you or some connection to the community you
    happen to get, or you slowly get caught up in the dream. It isn't something someone can tell you, it is something that grabs hold of you. This game will not just be one thing going on as UO was not. If you are looking for a game,
    there are many out there to chose from, well unless you are in between of course. I've been there. If you are looking for more than a game then this could be that, but that does depend, if you like to role play, be silly, find mysteries
    or be adventuresome, you will find much of that as this game progresses. Try going to a fishing event with fishing poles standing by the water with others and yet 'wait' fishing is not even in yet, but others walk by and say hey I wanna
    fish. The roleplay is awesome. We might be missing features, but we are totally supported to role play our butts off, oops I mean behinds;) Guilds are already forming for pvp or role play, lots of roleplay, there are plays to be in. I
    even did the voice for a play and was the voice of the evil seductress Vastra in one of the community members plays, lol now that was fun. So anyway this is another side that may not be seen just on that first walk in of the game.

Ok so before I hear anything like voices in my head type of things which may say things like; I do not want to be forced into grouping please, perhaps the voice said that, but it could have said other things. Now perhaps understanding what
    this game will be and the plans for it starts the journey and the rest of the journey is watching the magic unfold as each release brings us closer to launch. I am just magically mystified this release by what this team has achieved. I
    want to be part of this. I have a dream of wandering this world, going off treasure hunting well after I fish up the treasure map or find it on a dead body first, then perhaps jumping in my boat and off to get the treasure. Now mind you
    boats are not in, neither is treasure hunting, or as mentioned fishing is not in, but will that stop us, I say nah it won't. It's amazing what role playing can do, all the contests you wouldn't imagine could happen. We even had our first wedding.
    So anyways I do apologize for the wall of text I wrote, but I was just feeling some things tonight and while I don't think I was trying to convince you because no one can do that ultimately but yourself. I truly don't even know who I'm talking
    to, you know for personality wise so who knows. One thing I've seen about myself is that I actually stopped playing, got a bit serious in games and in life, and in coming here I realized that this was a big mistake for me, it is a killing thing for
    me. I love to play and be playful, so I say get a grip majoria. So there you have it. Please be well and happy whatever you do, and very importantly don't for get to play. **cheers**

Asclepius likes this.
  3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I am not going to recommend you buy this game.

In fact, let me put it to you this way... the game will still be there at launch, for you to purchase after you see how it turns out when it is complete. Right?

Regards,
    Sir Hemlock

4. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I agree. Sometimes less is more lol

5. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I agree with this suggestion to research.

6. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

ok well thanks all for your input, sir hemlock, it would help if you stated why?

Been having a chat with a mate and we'll both be pledging tonight. He's an old school UO fan and if SotA cant replicate the feel of UO then no other game can i suppose.

Hope to see some of you in game.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Shadowknight

Shadowknight Avatar

Can we all be nice ? I do no know rune74 nor do I know you, but I feel more offended by your post than by his. And from a profile point of view, he is here for a long time with a lot of likes, so it seems at least some of the people here dig what he has to say....

I think you over react a bit on this one don't you ?

Greyfox and rune_74 like this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Specifically, i hate the combat system, above all else.

Dewderonomy likes this.
  9. Rubyhorse2

Rubyhorse2 Avatar

ok point noted, having viewed many videos i can see a lot of issues. I'm trusting many of the these are due to pre-alpha and will be addressed as time goes on with input from ourselves.

majoria70 likes this.
  10. fillyblunts

fillyblunts Avatar

No.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  11. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Personally, paying $45 for a buy-to-play-with-no-subscripton MMO is a no brainer winner win win winning of wins

Besides that, yes SotA is an excellent RPG. If you like unique RPG's, get it!

The Hendoman likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Watching this game being developed has a lot of ups and downs. I've been here since just after the kickstarter, and I can with great authority that the ups far outweigh the downs. But it's a marathon, and not a sprint. So the best advice I could give you is, sit back and enjoy the ride. Ultimately, this game keeps going up.

Greyfox likes this.
  13. TantX

TantX Avatar

This is NOT UO. It isn't the spiritual successor of UO, either. If anything, it's the spiritual successor of the Ultima series, which is a huge difference. That needs to be clear. What you're looking to replicate from your UO experience can be extremely different depending on what you did on UO and when you played UO, obviously.

Everyone has already talked about it being alpha, which you said you have experience with. Having played UO more or less since '98 and having just quit ArcheAge in December, I will say you're in for a change for sure. I don't discourage people from pledging, the game needs the money to become what it's promised to be, but if you're in it for PvP or combat-related anything at this point, watch as many videos on the deck system as you can. You may love it, or it might infuriate the hell out of you. Just a head's up.

Either way, I'm "Brandon Dewderonomy" in game. I've got nothing but a longsword, a cutlass and some sweet, sweet looking plate boots of defense, but if you have questions I'll answer what I've gleaned so far.

Destroying Angel likes this.
  14. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

What is excellent about it????

15. CobaIt

CobaIt Avatar

Don't go quitting another MMO to start playing SOTA quite yet. Its hard to say if you'll still have a charactar from one release to the next.

16. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

course a cake would be lot quicker and you get to lick a whole bowl of frosting:)

Destroying Angel likes this.
  17. Siren

Siren Avatar

What an awful way to introduce the community to a new player....

Just so you know Ruby, this guy is NOT indicative of how this community generally communicates. You made a perfectly reasonable post. Welcome.

majoria70 and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  18. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

right? not even *I* would talk to you like that, right off the bat. I wait till you've been around a bit. and i'm a right grumbler most times.... i just wanted to make sure you saw the post above, 's good advice : 45 bucks for a great rpg is an awesome value, and it will only get better, thanks to the playerbase. cuz there's like 10 with a lotta $ to throw at it. also as important, tons of lower level funders are putting GOOD ENERGY towards it, bug testing time, and at least 50 bucks up front and a few more every day, really, in time spent chatting it up. so it's a win-win.

-=> You ALL will be so glad you are here in on this now. <=-

So if u see a grousy post, remember, my heart is pure. i am trusting and hopeful. and i will voice my mind. Please do the same.

The Hendoman

i edited this cuz i wanted to tell Sir Hemlock i like his opnions, he's wicked smart. there's not a lot awesome about it yet, but i swear, and perhaps you do too, its there... something is there. how do you feel?

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  19. Siren

Siren Avatar

Oh dear, you completely missed the point didn't you... Where did all that come from?

20. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

sorry i mistagged. it was a ramble not related to your post but a continuation of a point u made. i'd edit it, but since you commented.... i wasnt meaning to quote your post siren My mistake, forgive me?

The Hendoman

Siren likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.