RTX Feedback and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by A_Ridable_Llama, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luciferase

Luciferase Avatar

Hey Sir Frank KC, I rember you there taking all the pics and video. Super cool, thanks for making and putting up the video! :)

Alexander, Sir Frank KC and Fireangel like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Thank you! I've got to say it's because the folks at Portalarium have been so kind that I've had the opportunity to get photos, video, and sound. They're great folks.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  3. xDrac

xDrac Avatar

So I just stumbled across the TRX2013 demo on YouTube and got to say I really like what I saw - even though I never actually played Ultima Online.

I've got a few questions that I hope you could answer:

- Is the music used in the Demo available anywhere? I really loved the music used in the town.
    - Is SotA going to be 3D or 2D? Becuase as I saw there's going to be this top-down view which I don't really fancy tbh.
    - Could the team here be in need of voluntary graphic designers?

4. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Here's a few answers from what I know, things can change or I may wrong. If soemone has better answers, please correct me!

1. I don't believe that music is available anywhere other than in the demo, and is likely not the final music as composing is further down the list of priorities.

2. It is going to be... both. The 'Overland' map, where distance travel is done is a 2D as shown. It is made up of hexes, each of which can be voluntarily entered, or you can be pulled into by an encounter on the overland map. In the hex, which is an instanced section that can be variably sized or have differing terrain, you would have a typical first person view.

3. The team has opened up to it's fans the ability to supply crowd-sourced assets that can make it into the game. More information can be learned from the following dev-posted thread:
    https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crowdsourcing-of-the-avatar.2290/

5. xDrac

xDrac Avatar

So basically I'll be forced to play with the 2D top-down perspective at one point?

6. Grimsley

Grimsley Avatar

just for travailing and viewing your map

7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think was a basic standpoint you can consider the game 3D. However, there are 2 modes: Map Mode and Play Mode (for lack of better terms). SOTA will use s Dual Scale map like the early Ultimas. You will move on this map and right now the camera seems fixed overhead. However, the Devs have been experimenting with what you can and can't do with the camera on the map as well as how to handle a fog of war like feature. In Play Mode, you are supposed to be able to move the camera into a first person mode and well as zoom out, but I think it will still be locked into a perpective from your character (i.e. no snooping around your area if there is no line of sight).

As for music, I am not sure it is final nor available anywhere. I believe they still have not staffed Audio Engineers, so that stuff should be considered placeholder until they get staff in working on it.

8. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

Technically there is no "2D"..but the overhead map is as 2D is the game seems to be..not an issue

9. badcircle

badcircle Avatar

So I was wondering... When you enter a hex tile -- do you have to come back out to that same tile? Or can you travel a long distance, and come out on a hex tile that is far away from the tile you entered?

10. Nextgener

Nextgener Avatar

I'd just like to start by saying after seeing that demo, you guy's Really outdid yourselves in just a few month's. I'm glad I've decided to back this project and am looking forward to this project's completion. (which should of course Only be when it's 100% ready)

Now, onto business.

Everything is looking good for a start, but there are 3 important issue's I need to bring up.

1. You said you wanted to make UI minimal, which is okay. However, alot of Action RPG's tend to forget nowadays that a Large portion of challenge come's from Calculating different parameter's and number's given to the player, in term creating a challenging and rewarding experience. Since this is attempting to be something of an MMO, it's important to remember that Number's mean Alot.

Too much "Action", and not enough "RPG" tends to lead to a very bland experience in the long run. Perfect Example: "Skyrim".

2. I'll just assume the UI is only starting at this point, because it would be a pain to move around all material's in and out of your bag, over and over. (p.s.: you made a chair without nails?)

3. It's great you built the questing system to be optional rather than experience that Has to happen. I feel like this will revolutionize the way RPG's depict choice in the future. But there's 1 Important thing.

Will there be an in game Journal we can write in? So that way, if there's something we want to handle Later, we can write it down. Or if there are important Note's we want to take down on a certain situation.

Keep up the good work and Good Luck with Everything.

11. Moosh

Moosh Avatar

If i understand the principle correct u come out in the same hex.
    It is a way for them to make "instances" in the general map and having more flexibility on scaling each hex.
    If u could travel without exiting the hex it would turn the game into a full open world. I would love the full open world approach but i understand that it solves a lot of other tecnical problems like space for housing and expansions.

12. Borg

Borg Avatar

Nobody said there wont be numbers, ofc numbers are important but the thing is that they will be hidden , there are many more immersive ways to get information on your char development.
    I expect that SotA is not a DPS game that system really ruins real RPG , RPG is not only numbers is also using tactical advantage of your skills.

Thats really a great question, defenetly a quest diary would be great, so you can take notes or just the system takes notes for you about what you already found on a given quest.
    It would be also great to be able to mark related quest spots on the map and link them to quest diary. Even further , screen snap shoot , images linked to quest diary notes.

The last MMO I played had question marks on every quest giver not only that , you had a mark on the map where to go to complete next quest step, omg they ruined the
    best part of the game , exploring the world , talking to NPCs looking for tips, that game treated people like if they were 5 years old. Tbh for a game rated 18+ its so ilarious.....

13. raeldor

raeldor Avatar

Has some interesting ideas. Some I like, some I don't like as much. I like the being able to type to the NPCs, because that could easily be replaced later with voice recognition and synthesis, which could be cool. I kind of like the fact you don't have a quest log or waypoints, but if that's the case you should also be given an in-game notebook and be allowed to placed markers AND notes on the map. I don't like navigating using a top level view, especially when the towns/dungeons don't look like where you end up, though that might just be an early build issue. When I go to a dungeon I want to walk on foot and see the door in front of me to open it; hopefully there will be the option for both. I do like that they are keeping the interface uncluttered though; I hope there will be a first person mode too (Oculus Rift support please! :p).

Still very early, so it's hard to tell. For me, strategy in combat is very important, as that's what helps keeps my interest in a game. Exploration in a zoomed in view is also very important. Nice to see some progress though. Keep up the great work!

14. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

So far I'm pleased with the direction and content that the game has! And in only 3 months!

I found the graphics to be beautiful and rich with color and texture. The small details add a lot.

I noticed the axe disappears when it hits the tree. That needs to be tweaked. Also, I didn't think chopping out bits of wood until the tree fell where the tree became useless is realistic. How about you harvest the wood by chopping down the tree then chop out the pieces you think you might need. Maybe
    as the trunk ages the quality goes down.

The dungeons seems like they will be fun. The camera angles look appropriate for both combat and exploration. Games where the camera angles change to much is annoying.

I'm no monster expert but isn't a liche supposed to be a undead skeletal mage? The model being used looks more like a ghostly armor or a death knight?!

Anyway, so far so good. Can't wait for the next demo!

SilverSerpent

15. wdboyd

wdboyd Avatar

Salutations,

I agree that the character communication system is nice. I also like the fact that there is apparently going to be very little player hand holding. No exclamation marks above characters one has to communicate with. No automatic indication on the map as to mission destinations. I appreciate the uncluttered world view too.

Is the player view presented the only one available? The game world is pleasantly displayed. Oh, it isn't realistic to constantly be running around town with ones sword drawn. Will we be able to sheath our weapons so as not to alarm the authorities through its needless brandishing?

I would like to have a in-game journal to enter pertinent adventure information. Not with automatic entries but manual entries like one would actually do in real life.

Whit I perceive as uninspiring... I see little new with the game such as opening ones backpack, travel, combat. Been there done that, not groundbreaking in any way. I've never been into crafting but a lot of attentions seems to have be put into that aspect of the game. Of course the unfolding story is supposed to be superior. I trust it will be.

I hope we players won't be offered mindless quest to fulfill as in most other roleplaying games. For example. My purse has been stolen. I think I know who took it. Would you recover my purse? I see myself as an adventurer not a town/city constable. But, I suppose one could become a town Sheriff.

I look forward to further developments.

16. Aos_Si

Aos_Si Avatar

That was definitely not a death knight. I guess those insane clouds of particles were supposed to communicate sense of magic and tell us it was actually a lich :p

17. mike11

mike11 Avatar

It's no secret that it was the first monster, the first dungeon, the first special fx and the first AI coding etc..

18. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

lol I was thinking the same thing about the Lich when I first saw it as well .

I bet it was just some stock store bought monster graphic until they actually get time to put their own twist on mob design.

anyone remember the liches from UO? even back in the day those were pretty cool

19. Baron Daniello

Baron Daniello Avatar

Time Lord and Umbrae like this.
  20. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I just merged a bunch of RTX discussion threads into this one. Please remember, the "Search Feature" is your friend! It is very appreciated if you add to existing discussions rather then start a new thread for a duplicate topic. Thanks!

OSullivan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.