Dislike

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jynx, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jynx

Jynx Avatar

I love the "Like" feature on the forums. I get to add my weight to someone's opinion without having to make a post myself and unnecessarily repeating everything that's been said already.

Please can we have a "Dislike" feature as well? The reasoning is the same for the "Like" button. It might also invite more responses from people who aren't as vocal about their opinions as others.

RDouglas and Curator Kvow [MGT] like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A dislike feature was deemed to be too abuseable in the past so I think it's rather unlikely we'd get one.

Tahru, Mishri, RDouglas and 7 others like this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I would love dislike features, but sadly it encourages trolling. Some people will just click dislike regardless what the content is.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL sometimes I want to dislike something that is said **majoria hangs her head in shame**;) but I agree with some of what is said above regarding abuse of it. Plus so much of what is said is personal opinion and may be very well written and articulated with a lot of work put into it. For one thing people should not be shamed or strong word probably or 'disliked' by contributing to the discussion. Sometimes it takes much debate to iron out details and negatives could get positives in the long run. It could take a strong debate to work things out, as we have seen over and over. Many times I will see something differently after a strong debate has taken place. So continue on and I still like this quote, it helps me remember to breath and listen to people, and while I am not perfect, nudge me if I step on toes. ;)

"If you only look at what is...........You might miss what could be."

Tahru, RDouglas, Siren and 1 other person like this.
  5. Siren

Siren Avatar

While I certainly understand your sentiment (and have admittedly on more than one occasion MAY have tried to mouse over to the non-existent dislike button :rolleyes: ) I think that positive re-enforcement is just as powerful, if not more so than expressing dislike. So while I don't dislike your comment (and would never have down voted it) I do disagree with it. Some people however 'dislike' a comment simply for disagreeing. But I did agree with all of my friends' comments above, so they get clicks. :) I think it's a good system.

Mishri, majoria70 and Womby like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If we have a dislike button, I'd like to track how many times a person dislikes what they read. ;)

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually dislikes wouldn't stop me personally, but my mom said since I'm a Taurus I'm supposed to be stubborn. So even the stars say I'm stubborn. However I worry how the dislikes will hurt the feelings of the other signs.

Although I randomly read virgo and I seem to fit that one as well. Maybe I should read about the other signs too because I might be everything.

The Hendoman likes this.
  8. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I dislike disliking. Which is really hypocritical I know.

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Anything you don't 'like' you automatically 'dislike' .... Seems the Devs have it in for me....

10. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The problem with disliking or down voting is that this is a hostile action. Liking something is rather benign, but disliking something is negative and can lead to bad feelings, arguments and retaliation. Which is really not productive in the conversations we want to have here. Reddit is generally considered a hostile environment because of up and down voting which can be abused to push down relevancy of a post. Of course, on Reddit this is used to rank comments which is not how things work here.

Not to mention, in order to be truly productive with feedback more is needed than "I don't like that". You need to express exactly WHY and WHAT you did not like for it to be meaningful to the Devs. Where as a like on this forum is like head nodding and doesn't really need the same amount of clarification as a dislike.

Isaiah, Net, Themo Lock and 1 other person like this.
  11. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

For the same reason that NO major Place ( Facebook, Twitter etc ) has a dislike, is because noone would want to encourage negative behavior.

If you dislike something, express your opinion by making a detailed post about it.

People dislike things for many reasons, but a dislike button would do NOTHING Good.

So in short, if you dont like it - Make a post why. If its worse than that, report the post. Simple!

12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Funny thing about astrology is since the signs were originally developed (around 600 BC) the planet/stars have moved, so we are now about 2 months away from the original signs I believe. can't remember if it's forward or back.. so Cancer or Pisces is the sign you were probably born under.

edit: looked it up, I guess it's closer to a month off, Taurus are now Aries... Except the people who follow astrology claim that the constellations are just an abstraction and the dates are important, not the constellations... So an Astrologist would tell you you are still a Taurus despite being born under a different constellation.

Isaiah likes this.
  13. TantX

TantX Avatar

There shouldn't be a 'Like" button at all. If anything discourages interaction it's a button that says, "Sure, I'll agree with that because it's 100% accurate/vaguely agreeable/somewhat in line with what I thought/or you put that guy in his place lol" all at once. If you like something, agree and say why; if you don't, disagree and say why. Either way, speak up.

Moiseyev Trueden and Sir Frank like this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Sometimes I like something just so I can unlike it.

Budner and fantalio like this.
  15. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I consider the quote button the dislike button! Ive certainly received my fair shares of dislikes. ;)

Isaiah, Duke Arradin and E n v y like this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah but I'm thinking about making my own calendar. Year one will begin on my birthday. Each month will be 1 full lunar cycle, and I will keep track of months like we currently track years. They will be numerical values that increase each time the moon orbits the earth. I'm not sure how the zodiac will work anymore once I start my new calendar because my months will not repeat.

Dates will look like this, 002.18.740740. So if dates are what is important and not the stars then when I start using my new calendar the zodiac's power will cease to exist! :( although it will kind of suck when I have to use the lunar cycle to keep track of time because the month will change in the middle of the earth day... so my clocks will be set by the moon, and they too will not be the same time every day, but I can live with that. o_O

Mishri likes this.
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Slippery slope.

I know I wouldn't love a forum massively overwhelmed with

"I agree"

"Me too"

"Same here"

"+1"

Worst case: anything written by @Lord British, @Darkstarr, @Chris, @Lum, @FireLotus, etc. whose (important) signal would literally drown in a sea of noise after every post.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I like likes. For one it lets me know that I have previously read a message. If one of the dev staff posts something I automatically like it so that I know that I've read it before.

Also as simple as it sounds it is nice to know that somebody actually bothered to read your post. Somebody putting a like on it means they read it and they at least somewhat agreed with the post. Also it is an indicator of whether or not the thread is useful anymore. If somebody starts going through a thread liking a bunch of posts, maybe it is time to go back and discuss that topic a little further.

I think these forums got better when the likes were added.

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I like liking. I dislike disliking.

Hmm, seems simple in retrospect.

Budner, Mata, Vaentorian and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.