Are we Unfocused as a community?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toxic_Knight, Jun 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

It's rare for a community to be focused. While a focused community can be a good thing, it can also be a bad thing.

Your post makes the assumption that the community is responsible for decisions but we aren't. We might influence the direction of the game but ultimately the developers make the decision.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think your missing the point of any debate, and assuming that the Dev's are listening to one group over another... And you're predicting "doom and gloom" if something doesn't change... The truth of the matter is, this is not a democracy, majority doesn't rule here, the louder you yell, the more you'll be heard doesn't apply, had you been playing from the beginning, you may have seen that the game hasn't bent it's design much from what has been made public and what's been planned out from the beginning...

Just reading the community posts can be very confusing because some post as if they have an inside track on what's going on, the company is the only ones that know what they will do next... The decision is theirs alone...

Toxic_Knight likes this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What Heradite said...

4. Nemo Herringwary

Nemo Herringwary Avatar

I think the opposite is happening; the community is slowly becoming more focused as the game is developed and the less leeway for imagination to fill in the gap exists. But we never were and never can be all of one mind. With perhaps the odd exception, I think most people genuinely argue for things they think will make for a better game, rather than what they selfishly wish for... we just can't all be correct when it comes to what makes a better game for others.

There is a Positivity Pressure from crowd funded games, as people invest their hopes and dreams as well as dollars into the game; but unlike say the Elite Dangerous forums, which I made the mistake of joining recently, I don't believe people here handle criticism badly... they may seem suffocating in their support at times I expect, but they don't react like you've just tried beating Grandma to death with her own family pet like other forums do. And that hasn't changed since I've been here, there's always been a much higher level of civility.

Epona and Toxic_Knight like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well in my thinking I like the less focused attitude since it has brought us more features than a strict regimen would have. Imagine no gust ball, no fences, no pavers, in radio, no music, and so much more. It may take longer to make this game due to the communities great ideas and the game may be all over the place, but that in my opinion is a very good thing right now. So let us focus more later after we get all the cool stuff in the game. Also that is fluff, but I think flubb is very important also and they are focusing on combat right now also. Also well sometimes perhaps criticism of someone is not the point. We don't have to like all that someone says and we can still stand by our thoughts. I have changed my thinking a time or two from what someone else has said. Like my first reaction to the player owned towns was like WHAT and no way, but I have since warmed to the idea and definitely see all the wonderful possibilities. So it's all part of the process here and has been through the years, someone says something and someone reacts to it and sometimes that is how magic appears, it's part of the debate to flesh things out.:)

6. Toxic_Knight

Toxic_Knight Avatar

Wow. I'm surprised this is actually getting some discussion. I genuinely thought this would ultimately be buried under the hundreds of other forum posts with more important discussion than this. Huh. Thanks for taking the time to read my post by the way. Looking back my post gave off the terrible impression that I was saying, "Creativity and debate BAD!" Which wasn't my intention at all. I'm really sorry about that. What I was trying to say was there are some FANTASTIC ideas on this forum. But sometimes they collide with other great ideas that just can't or won't be able to mesh well. PvP I guess could have a server that has consensual PvP and another that's World PvP, but not all ideas are that flexible, combat for example; as that affects the game whether its single player or multiplayer. I guess my fears come from ignorance as honestly I don't know how the devs go about implementing someones idea into the game. I mean for bugs it's just someone describes an error they encountered within the game that wasn't supposed to happen and the devs try to fix it. But with ideas for how the game plays sounds pretty damn tricky especially considering how many of them there are on this forum alone. And if it's true that our feedback for the devs is actually heard by them and matters (which I haven't seen much evidence that it isn't) then it's important for our ideas to not only be good ones but also be possible for the game to accomplish and not completely outlandish and beyond the devs power and capabilities. Though I guess the community is capable of critically examining an idea and judging if it's feasible or not. I don't know. In truth I made this post more with concern rather than objective fact which most likely doomed my first post from the very start. Yeah the more I think about it, the more I realize my post pretty much sucks.
    I guess at the end of the day we can only give out our ideas explain why they're good and hope the devs at least try it out. And just accept that not everyone is going to like this game no matter what.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot with no idea what he's talking about worrying about the wrong thing especially since it can be hard to find people on this forum that are just being jerks...that's a very likely possibility too.

7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

There are definitely some community members who are very focused, but I think we're unfocused as a whole. There is very little outlet for the all the feedback and discussions that so many have taken part in. All most of use (the majority) can hope to do is repeat ourselves in the feedback threads and try to, helpfully, keep the discussions as on topic and tidy in hopes that DEV's might actually read them and want to partake in the discussions.

But the reality is Portalarium mostly acts as a regular game company and does most or all of the big decisions "internally", but it is clear they are viewing the forums and specific discussions here. So that is just the way it is, live with it right. We are forced to make PvP and PvE discussions repeatedly and we wait for Portalarium to implement some or all but there is never any certainty that our communicated ideas will be represented in any way whatsoever or reshaped into LB's own creation of varying quality.

cheers

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I guess the we I used where those who were able to figure out there is a big problem. If you don't include yourself in that we that's fine but we who know there are massive problems with this project both from hackers and from those who do not like this game on Steam either.

I don't have the time to reiterate all the disappointments I have regarding the mechanics of this game.

9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    You have been hacked? I am curious by what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

exactly. The community is not to be blamed for anything that is going wrong in any way. The community is doing exactly what they hopeed... GIVING FEEDBACK.

The only way the "community" fails if it stops posting all together on this site. Unfocused... I don't get that. Who cares. If anybody should be involved by focusing the community it is the developers who need to get to the point on issues they want feedback and so far they've done that.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

OH I'm sorry. I guess I'm just lumping all this spam and DDoS attacks as the term "hacker" although nothing has been "reported" as being hacked, but there is hacker activity up the yin yang if you haven't noticed.

12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

If anything, this is the real proof that the project is alive and collecting many eyeballs from everywhere (thanks to some community members, mind you).

Nobody would spend money on spamming/DDOSing a dead project.

13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

@Womby, nice attempt to trick people into thinking I was talking about SOTA by putting my Star Citizen quote in bold yellow, yet, cutting out the part where it was about Star Citizen.

14. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

The wider the play posibilities get, the wider gets the feedback. The devs don't say, focus this release on testing this and that, so we could focus on it. They want us to play, so they see what we avoid, what is not appealing and what is overused or abused.
    Sometimes there is not even a need of asking for stuff, they see it on their own like the gustball or something I just play with on QA which is not official yet.

Toxic_Knight and Katrina Bekers like this.
  15. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Spam is not hacking. DDoS is not hacking. And I would hardly consider either "up the yin yang"... Forum spam is a common occurence these days and DDoS happens everywhere. Its how its dealt with, thats the determining factor.

Mata and Kara Brae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.