Advice for leveling up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vcczar, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

What's the best way to level up? Currently, I can kill skeletons and some bears, but I get destroyed by wolves and about any other creature within seconds.

Also, I want to be a carpenter, but I'm unable to find any trees that I can chop.

Advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Look for trees with red leaves and not green. You should be able to chop these.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Rhudaur and smack like this.
  3. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

Thanks. Can anyone answer the first part of my question? I need to level up as a fighter. I get killed every time I try to chop down a tree. I can't kill bear or wolves. What do I do to level up?

4. Archaon [OWL]

Archaon [OWL] Avatar

Combat right now isn't balanced and unless something has changed in R19 the most efficient way to level is as a mage. You might consider picking up some low level fire spells (flame fist, fire arrow, ignite weapon) and healing spells (healing touch) eventually working toward skills such as fireball and ring of fire as these will allow you to group up enemies and burn them all down efficiently. If you really wish to fight as a melee you could consider picking up some blade skills as these can combo with fire skills (smoldering shiv) comes to mind.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Sounds as if you are at a fairly low level still. A few tips that I found helpful: stay in relatively safe areas first off. In Hidden Vale that's the areas closest to Owls Head - eg Northern Valeway. And probably Southern Valeway. The creatures there aren't too terrifying, and you get XP reasonably fast, so you can climb up a few levels. Buy yourself some plate armour, use the default deck and things will get better.

Once you venture further into the forests, you encounter elves and such, who are tougher and not for newcomers. Give yourself a couple of weeks and you will be knocking them over.

Also, there are trees (orange leaves) in the Valeway, they are "low level" nodes, so not challenging to cut down. Your percentage chance should be OK; on the other hand you don't get much crafting XP for them. When you get down to Deep Ravenswood, you will have to have quite a few crafting levels and skills to be able to cut a tree successfully, but you get 200 crafting XP for it.

Good luck!

Rhudaur, SeleneNoctua, Krohon and 2 others like this.
  6. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Once you get a your hand on the gameplay mechanics, you should try this:

This gives an example of how you can setup your deck considering recent changes.

This is a portrayal of using area of effect spells, in this case Ring of Fire & Fireball, to kill groups of higher levels enemies.

These videos are made by the first & only player to ever hit level 100. So, he definitely knows what he is doing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Rhudaur, Mishras, Krohon and 5 others like this.
  7. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

Thanks, guys!

8. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The scenes are level based too, and the starting points are Soltown, for Novia (training area is Solace Bridge, strip the bodies for 600 gold), and Bremaur, for Hidden Vale... As you adventure away from those towns, the scenes get harder, the farther away from town you get... For example East Perenial trail and West Ravenswood are right next to those places, so they are very easy... But, hey if your starting out at level 5, then even these places will be difficult, so run and don't die, use magic to heal, and eventually you will come up in level... Go to the skill trainer and get more HP and focus, then work on putting points into str/dex (if a melee), str/int if your more of a magic user... I prefer a locked deck, so I know when my spells are there for me... Once you get some skill points, try out the deck system...

Open your chat window and pin it, so you can watch to see how many points you get from killing/harvesting things, if your only getting 200/20 then your in too easy of an area for your current level, but you be the judge, if things are kicking your butt, then run more, until you've raised a couple of levels before moving to another area... Strip/sell everything you grab as loot, use what you can, if it's better than what you got, then use it, keep in mind that if your using a sword, then a mace would be a bad choice unless you re-skill... Upgrade your armor when you get the money, learn how to craft...

Rhudaur, smack, vcczar and 1 other person like this.
  9. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

Excellent advice.
    I'm getting killed by spiders, wolves, bears. 50% of the time, I can't even make it to a tree to chop it. It's mainly my fault, I've been fiddling around with the game for months without actually trying to fight. I have pitiful armor and weapons and spent most of my money just exploring all the houses (I love architecture and urban planning) and buying random stuff. Since its Alpha I'm not taking it seriously. However, for this release I've decided to finally try leveling up.

Rhudaur and Forest_Dweller like this.
  10. McMatze

McMatze Avatar

Hello,
    it might be right what Achaon said (...in R19 the most efficient way to level is as a mage...),
    but I have leveled a fighter within 40 hours playtime over Lvl 30 and that's fine for me.

Ok, a helpful player gave me a plate chest and a few leather armor. But that is not realy needed.
    The armor from the merchant at Soltown (no new player knows Owl's Head) is quite cheap (only a few 100g).
    Do the first Quests and the Skellies in the East Perenial trail, they are very easy.
    You can sell the loot at this merchant and the first equipment and level are made.

First, I went with shield (looted at the bridge intro) and the bridge sword.
    Second, I studied the youtube video of deckusing. It is importent to know how the deck mechanic works.
    You have to know how to activate combos (flamefist and thrust or thrust and dubble thrust, etc.).

Until Level 20 try to get some better equipment (Augmented Iron Plate from Solania and your weapon(s) of choice from the public vendor in Adoris).
    Skill passives in Tactics (Life, Strength), your weapon and armor path, and Focus.
    Optimize your deck to activate combos more often.

From Level 15 on try the Soltown Sewers again and again until the normal cultists are no problem.
    You get 800 Exp per cultist! Try to seperate them (kiting one until the 2nd/3rd turns away)to fight only 1 on 1.
    Your level will raise fast.

Good Luck :)

11. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

Great advice. Skeletons usually kill me, mainly because my armour is terrible and I have under 100g. Trying to save up for better armour before my sword breaks.

Rhudaur likes this.
  12. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Did you run the starter quests? I believe they give a bunch of gold. Also there are low level wolves and such in Whiteguard forest and don't forget about going back to Solace Bridge. It changes to a normal scene when you leave the First Time User Experience there.

Rhudaur likes this.
  13. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

I didn't do the starter quests, which may be my main issue.

Rhudaur likes this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I don't believe the starter quests are required, though they are very useful in getting you started, pun intended :). There isn't a lot of time in my day, so I try to level up with as much assistance as possible. Starter quests, the grand tours, and other features help a lot here in enjoying the game on a time-limited budget.

Rhudaur likes this.
  15. vcczar

vcczar Avatar

I ended up getting out of my rut. I was able to finally scrounge up to get some basic armor. I can now kill wolves, bears and skeletons. I get destroyed in the Necropolis though.

Rhudaur, Forest_Dweller and Berek like this.
  16. deRoque

deRoque Avatar

Possible early game levelling help

Your “mileage may vary” but this is what I have found.

You should be aware that we are currently on Pre Alpha release 19, and most people expect that characters will be wiped when release 20 comes online in a month or so. So you might not want to worry about levelling very high until release 20.

There is no way to go from level 5 (where you currently start) to level 100 (the current cap) in a day or two. If you want to level up to player level 50 or so, you need to put in the many hours it will take, or get help with levelling from higher level players. You can double or triple the length of time if you want to level up crafting as well. If you are low level and need help doing the Tour Guide quests, ask for help in chat.

Judging by the trouble you report, you would likely be best suited to starting off as a plate wearing melee type character with a pole arm. For a new player, heavy armour helps a lot early so try to get augmented plate pieces which will last you at least to level 50 as soon as you can (you can get Iron plate in the mean time). By that time you should be familiar enough with the combat system and decks to have success trying other builds like a mage.

Early on fight in the daylight, and try to “pull” enemies one at a time. Stay away from spiders till you can spot the spiders coming for you and you have started putting points into the Life tree and have a healing spell (healing potions are expensive and should mostly not be needed). Do not be afraid to run away if you pull multiple enemies. When it gets dark, travel to a village or town and sell the armor/weapons you have accumulated. Once you know an area you will be able to pull just one or two enemies at a time in the dark.

If you take some time to learn a bit about the game, you will find that the original starting area was the island known as The Hidden Vale, and the starting village was Braemar. So the Hidden Vale is an excellent place to start to learn some of the lower level areas and to do some quests.

But…the game currently starts you at Solace Bridge, and sends you to Soltown. It is worthwhile collecting all the gold/gear/quests you can from those areas, but I wouldn’t worry about quests unless they can be done quickly and easily. Look for Blacksmith NPCs, and try to acquire good armour. You can find your way to Solania and the Blacksmith there to see the cost of augmented plate.

Whether or not you do that, head to Ardoris and take a boat (either at the docks there or from the boat on the coast near there) to Hidden Vale. Pick up the quests in Kingsport, then Braemar, and then Owl’s Head. You could do a search on the forums to find out about the two Wrasse egg quests as they give good XP and gold (Erin Hargrove the Guildmaster and Harry the Anchor vendor in Kingsport…ask about “eggs”, and start and stop your conversation and ask again till they tell you)…if you are not high enough level to survive in the Dragon Cave, you might be able to buy a couple of the eggs from a Public Vendor in Owl’s Head or Kingsport. Then go just south of Owl’s Head to North Valeway till you are level 15, and explore it, learning how to kill the wolves, bears, skeletons, and eventually the spiders, and get the trees and hides. You can return to town at night to sell the armor/weapons that drop and upgrade your skills and armour.

By the time you are level 15, you should be wearing augmented plate. You may be able to find pieces of this in the Clink dungeon in Owl’s Head (there are 5 or 6 chests in there that may or may not drop good gear, some behind secret doors, and you can reset them by going in and out), or buy it. If you get bored, try to do some of the quests you have. You should be able to visit Owl’s Nest for example (the first time make sure your weapon is sheathed so you can talk to the NPCs in there).

Once you have your augmented plate, head to the Greymark Forest further south and east of Owl’s Head, and kill the few wolves, but mainly the elves. Early on watch out for the archers and mages and kill them first if they spot you. If you are swarmed, run out. Collect the trees. Maximize low level combat skills as they will work fine for you up to level 40 or more. Work up your AoE skills and you can kill several elves at a time eventually. Increase the skills that will help your health, strength, dexterity, defence, healing, focus, and encumbrance (this includes skills on the right side of the earth tree). Don’t worry about having more than half a dozen or so card slots early on.

You could stay in the Greymark Forest till lvl 40, but at that point or sooner (you could even go at level 5 if you know what you are doing), you could go to Deep Ravenswood for higher level wolves, bears, skeletons, and spiders. The best solo experience at the moment seems to come from killing Red Spiders (esp if you have AoE fire spells) there or in the Mysterious Swamp, or the Savrenoc Stronghold. This will take you to at least lvl 70.

Once you are level 40 or so, you can start exploring the higher level areas (I consider any area higher level if it has ghosts) like the Necropolis. Ghosts will kill you unless you have good mage spells, or help.

As far as crafting is concerned, if you are not going to do this till closer to game release, sell all the hides and lumber you harvest. If you are going to level this up, be aware that you will be in for quite a grind at this stage. Once you are player level 10 or more, you can gather in King’s Road until you have enough points for crafting skill level 5 forestry in survey, skilful harvest, and swift gathering. If you are into farming hides, you can go to Solace Bridge and kill wolves. Then move to the Greymark Forest and get all the trees. Once you are bored, go to town and make boards and then wall shelves (to sell) until you are crafting skill 20. This will allow you to maximize most of your early skills in Forestry and one other (mining or hides). At this point (or perhaps earlier) you can go to the Verdantis Shardfall (make sure you are in single player mode as it is a PvP zone in multiplayer... go to Vertas Pass west of Ardoris, and then go a bit north and then west to the coast and the boat to the island) and farm trees (there will be no hides in this area, and few mining nodes till you can kill the elementals). Avoid the Flesh Flayers till you can kill them. Otherwise you can gather wood in Deep Ravenswood, or mine in the Spectral Mines (avoid the ghosts as they will kill you).

There are several sources of information about levelling both posted on these forums and elsewhere which are not difficult to find. For example:

On these forums:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/levelling-and-the-soft-cap.22872/

Levelling 1 to 70 video

Quests of the Avatar
    http://www.questsoftheavatar.com

And remember that with each release, things in the game change, so that the above information may or may not still be valid.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    Krohon and margaritte like this.
  17. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

This information is priceless! Thanks for the tips, Avatars. I didn't know these quests existed until I read your post, Rhudaur, but I found the Clink and managed to find most of the chests, I think, so thanks! I just hit level 16 today, wielding a polearm and using a deck with a couple of those glyphs and some low level fire stuff. Still trying to figure all this out, but I've got some decent plate/chainmail gear (I hope anyway) and will try to hit the egg quests in Kingsport. It's great to feel like I have some direction now! Keep that good advice coming :D

I'm loving the vibe on this forum, lots of good people who like to help new players like myself. I think I'll stick around a bit.

Rhudaur, Forest_Dweller and majoria70 like this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello and welcome margaritte. Yes check out other new people posts also. I sometimes tend to get carried away posting tips and advice:cool: Happy to meet you. I am majoria in game if you'd like to send me a whisper just friend me under the 'f' key clicking it out of the chat window of course and then add me and right click my name to find options to whipser etc or right click another character for options also. /zone majoria or another players name with a time to not over use of course as another tip. 'o' to see your emotes, 'p' spamming when looking for a house causes a light to stream heavenwards for available lots., also /stuck to name just a few.

margaritte likes this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Party exp now divides differently, the higher your level the larger your share of the exp. This prevents rapid power levelling of lower level friends. The party still gets a +10% bonus from each party member in the zone though so partying up is still worth it if everybody pulls their weight. If you want to start off as melee i recommend going straight to Owlshead to get free equipment, look in the clink chests for armour and you can sprint past all the mobs in the sewers and grab some epic plate as well. The gear from the chests in the clink can also be farmed and sold to earn some gold. Melee at early stages wants to have the passive skills from the earth tree, double strike, thrust and whirling blades from the blades tree, healing touch and as much strength as possible. I recommend a 2-handed sword or greatsword. To start off go straight to deep ravenswood and pull one wolf at a time, dragging it back where you wont agro additional wolves to kill it. You will level quickly and soon be able to handle groups of them.

20. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I tried to do the Wrasse egg quests, but couldn't find the cave entrance. There was a place that LOOKED like a cave entrance and seemed to match the location on the map, but you couldn't go in.

I found this thread after a little poke around the forums.
    Was I just lost, as I often am, or is this really gone forever? Someone who hoarded up the eggs could make some good money if so!

Still, I did find an egg for sale and got a level from it -- up to 21 now and sporting full plate, huzzah!

Forest_Dweller and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.