One thing i think is holding back this game.

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by blaquerogue, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Before i get into the reason for above here, i want to say thus far the game looks good, but it could be great, and i appreciate all the work that's been put into it thus far!

The problem i keep seeing in anything about this game is, its based on a book that has been written. So with that in mind there is only so much you can put into the game (based on the book) in turn that kills the creativity of the game, so much more could be added, but it is not because it is based on a book that is already written! Personally i hate reading, so its hard for me to understand whats going on in this game, what is part of the book and what is not.

Are there Orcs in the book? why not? (if Ogres can be there why not Orcs)
    What ever happened to fantasy type games and those basic things in it?
    Dwarves,Orcs, Halflings, Druids,bugbears,wights, Giants (all types), Cloakers, Beholders etc... Why doesn't anyone pick up a D&D monster manual and look at all the different types of things that could be brought into the game (maybe under different names, if copyright laws in effect)? There is so much more this game could be if we had more fantasy type creatures and beings in it? As well as playable races. Im sure since Tracy is such a renowned writer he could write around all of those. I think the first mistake was coming out with a book that this game needs to follow! It kills all the creativeness that could be.

Playable races are weak, ( i mean even if we are brought into this world magically, why cant other worlds also be brought in magically) It could also be "Your sitting there playing your tabletop rpg, and all of a sudden your sucked into that world". It would broaden the world and creatures. It could also be easily added in other releases, this creature was also brought in the world from it plane of existence, this race was also brought into the world from its existence, this creature was evolved from the cataclysm, this was was made by these people to be a brute force, etc...
    Ill close this with, the game is good (not great)! The graphics are great, the storyline is So-so. (but i hate reading :)) Ill do it if i need too but id rather just play it!

2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

It's not based on a book. The book was created from the notes Richard developed that are providing the direction for the game, so technically, that game came first. The books haven't even been written yet.

blaquerogue and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I personally don't see the need of putting into the game the whole bestiary of D&D... but to me it seems they're sort of doing what you suggested; placing common monsters while giving them their own background. Atm we have Kobolds, Satyrs, Elves, Elementals, Skeletons, Zombies, ghosts... and as you said Ogres (and also dragons!) are waiting to be in. So i think we'll have orcs if they find an appropriate place for them in the game.

I see your point on playable races... but Richard states we're all from earth, in fact, strictly speaking, we're ourselves entering into the world of new britannia through the game.

@blaquerogue, Your quote about playing tabletop rpg and getting sucked into a world... maybe you played Unepic? if you haven't, i think it's a game you'll enjoy

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Dara Brae and myself are being Druids into the game so watch out. ;)

5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Blade of the Avatar has been written and it gives us a glimps of what the world was around the time of the obsidian wars. It does mention different races invented by the obsidians. Ogres, trolls, Fauns, satyrs, elves...... We dont know the storyline but we do have a couple hundred page novella.

6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Like Solstar said, it isn't based on a book. But other than that, I personally would rather the team be less influenced by same same D&D monsters, as opposed to classic Ultima creatures.

Headlesses, Ettins, Fuzzies, Mongbats, Rotworms, Carrion Crawlers, Reapers, etc etc. Even if some of these are based on D&D tropes, they are far less common, and more ultima-like.

7. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

IMHO as for the playable races .... Playing as a Humans is a RG T.M. just like a lens flares In JJ Abrams movie :) its a must .

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    except we will have elves... well maybe lol! (stretch goal)

9. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

We will have masks :) ,,,, and Im ok with that Nothing is outside a RP'er imagination . and to be honest The mask will give the look without creating new skills that throw a wrench in balancing . I'm not attacking people that want other races , but I will campaign for lets get this right and let the incoming funds (from success) pay for things outside the scope of the original plan .

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello blaquerogue. :) What's this not liking to read from a renowned writer. I wouldn't have known ;) Well I understand not liking to read all the time, but I know I'm spoiled by games that have voice and read it for you. I wouldn't mind some voice over for some parts. I think that would be cool. Well I don't think too many people think the game is great right now. Most of us are under the impression that those important touches will be added in once they can get to them. In the hangout yesterday it was mentioned that they have data and things sitting there without the man or woman power to do it. It was stated that once they get the new people hired that a lot more will come in. Regarding our creature system, while I am seriously hoping and crossing my fingers that the creatures, pets and world of this game all come to life with wonderful sound, animations, and interesting reactions and interactions to an also interesting world, I don't see it yet. I did hear little hints in the hangout that they are aware of this, now my hugest hope is that their thought on it is as expanded and as extreme as mine ;) I want tons of details, entrhralling, wonderful details. Bring them on please.:)

edited typos etc;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I know. I've read it. I'm just saying that little short story is not what the game is based on, but the other way around.

12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I think it's important to realize this is just episode 1 they're working on. The most important thing is to fulfill the Kickstarter promises and the Kickstarter stretch goals, along with having a fun, and sound foundation and good base systems for combat, economy, npc interaction (such as quests that we will have), storyline, crafting, and all of the other features such as fishing, music, pvp, creatures, etc. etc. Once episode 1 is finished they will be able to expand, improve, and add new things as the game goes further, then adding the other expansion episodes with more new content, creatures, new lands, etc..

I know everyone is enthusiastic and it's very easy to be impatient sometimes (I'm definitely guilty of the impatient part :) ) during alpha/betas, but I feel all the side things people are asking for (not meaning your post Blaquerogue, just to be clear :) ) is distracting and setting the game back so much, as far as pushing the game toward a release date. Along with them needing more devs to help finish content, of course. For me, as long as the game is fun and has everything promised from the original kickstarter and the stretch goals , I'll be content and entertained while waiting on expansions.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

LOL i know really huh!? But most writers do hate reading, ive found out, i mean for me a book has to grab me from the start and keep hold of me, which is rare. Im down to one writer who can do that RA Salvator! I have tried reading many other books but its like my attention goes elsewhere "Squirrel!" for example.

Demon wars by RA Slavator is a good read, same with the Dark elf trilogy and others that followed. I do try to read some books but i get so bored so quick with most.

KuBaTRiZeS and Ice Queen like this.
  14. pirAte gAmbit

pirAte gAmbit Avatar

Untill we cash out 300K bucks ... than we can pop in new britannia right from the JRRT novells :-D

no hard feelings here, but this stretch goal is so smellin and stinkin for me ... at first I was like "yaaaay I will buy this stretch goal" but the I was like "waaaait a minute - they already have so much money and present human in elf armor as elf? bah..."

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

There are so many strange and different creatures being considered.. we already have mimics and slimes and all the elementals, these are relatively obscure, but classic DnD monsters, right? Imps/Emps too, though we need to find more of them in the wilds.

I'm not sure about 'Orcs', but we have seen 'gremlins' on the release schedule last year, so they should get in game, eventually. ;) They were a staple Ultima monster.. I'm not sure what they'll be like in SotA. Should prove interesting. And then there's the Chaos Demons. Demons are classic too. They are coming. Things slowed way down to switch to Unity 5. I really hope with the new hires things can kick back up again.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah, not quite sure why he made such emphasis on the thing about being ourselves through the portal and then put a stretch goal for being elves... elves have its own lore in the game, so i suppose elven playable characters are new britannian by default. Or maybe they're from middle earth! Maybe Valinor is not an island but another world :D Seriously though, i'm ok with only humans as playable race and as far as i know they're the only ones who can be Avatars from RG's perspective (humans from earth, i must say). Maybe as the story unfolds we'll get more answer regarding this topic.

I'm confident that the bestiary will be expanded over time with classic D&D monsters (cyclops will come in for sure) but, as Miracle Dragon commented, i'd like to see the ones that had significance in the ultima series... Emps! Wisps! Unicorns! Gremlins! Talking animals! and talking about significant monsters... what about gargoyles?? :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.