Teaching the Gospel ingame?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorthos, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

@ ?Sir Asguard? MGT470 Honest Ghost Knight

I never implied that they should be banned - If someone wants to play whatever role they wish, well that is really up to them but to then go and force others to listen and accept that role is going to obviously cause problems so i would suggest if you wish to play a certain role especially one that you know others are going to have mixed feelings about then probably want to keep that role exclusively to yourself.

I believe it takes many people to make a good MMO and to extend on that it also takes many different kinds of ppl to make a good mmo. This means that not everyone is going to have the same opinion\beliefs as one another. But knowing what subjects cause potential arguments is something everyone should know and thus be able to tread carefully when aproaching.

Im sure they will cover what will be allowed in the ROC\TOS and as far as everything else goes pretty much use your best judgment and remember not everyone is going to like what u do or say so just keep it civil and respectful.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Matheryn

"Force others to listen and accept"?

Umm Your going to be able to marry in game, this has been said multiple times and used as an example where they will be ramping up the number of people in an instance potentially. A lot of us intend to play with out real life partners in a domestic situation too. If they happen to be 2 same sex people DEAL WITH IT.

Same sex attraction is supported even by the UN, homophobia isn't, therefore there is quite a clear distinction on which should be supported and which shunned.

hanskrsg likes this.
  3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If I might offer my two cents:

The Bible said Christians should witness. Some interpret that as talking about Christ to all strangers at all times, and putting them on the spot. However, I don't believe that is what the Bible urges.

1 Peter 3:15 states:

"But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with GENTLENESS and RESPECT..."

Christ's message was one of tolerance, love and forgiveness. Harassing and judging others doesn't seem to be in line with his teaching.

When I was in boot camp for the Marine Corps, they gave us fake orders and told us we were going to war. It was a test to see who was prepared for that possibility. Lots of people cried and freaked out. I was calm. I was also the lay leader in my platoon. I'd read Bible passages and lead prayer for the Protestants before we'd go to bed. That night we discussed Joshua being called into duty before the Battle of Jericho. It was a fairly moving experience.

The next day, the Catholic lay leader and our senior drill instructor met with me in his office. The Catholic asked me to witness to him, saying he had organized religion his whole life, but he never felt the presence of God until he head me talk and pray the night previously. And when called upon, I did witness because the person was ready and willing to listen of their own accord.

If you created a venue in game where people could discuss Christianity voluntarily, I think that is fine. Harassing people who don't want to be harassed however is another story.

4. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I have not bothered to read the whole thread, so might very well be someone else has said this. I want as little fantasy from other sources to be preached in the game. It doesn't matter if someone begins talking about dragonlance characters as if they exist in the game, or if it is Odin, YHWH or El. It doesn't fit the setting and would be out of place. Now in private chats, talk about whatever you want, but if I see religious sermons based on an external religion (religions that isn't a paort of the world we play in), it would put me off playing online. I hope people understand that this is not my hate for relgion talking here, but my hate for mixing other poplar fantasy stories into the game, just as most people don't want you to call your character Drizzt or Legolas, and we don't want a Shell station in game or other out of place stuff.

Freeman likes this.
  5. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Here's a good rule of thumb, if you're going to interrupt any group with an unrelated topic of conversation, ask yourself if you'd be happy with that group interrupting yours with their topic of conversation. It's the silver rule, don't do anything to others you wouldn't want them doing to you.

In this case would you like a bunch of people outside your prayer group to come in and start talking about video games?

By-Tor likes this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The question I have is: will discussing this topic contribute to the playing of this game?

I'm a religious person, but I don't bring my beliefs into playing games precisely because it's a game. Take Monopoly. I don't say, "Oh here, you're down on your luck and only have a house on Baltic, here's $200." Or, "Maybe you shouldn't own a house on Park Place and live more simply?" Or, "Before you take your turn let me tell you how Scripture tells you to play." Or even, "Now is the perfect time to discuss faith!" If I wanted to do that, I'd find a way to set the game aside.

Those who are looking for a social network for preaching will find better and more fruitful avenues elsewhere.

Common sense, and less imprudent zeal please.

hanskrsg, Kambrius, Freeman and 2 others like this.
  7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I guess if this is really us moving from this world to another then you would expect all religions to appear in the new world.
    Maybe some town rules would tell how much preaching can be done in town.
    If you break the rules then maybe you can't go back into that town.

8. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Well...this game is a fantasy setting....

Jizmakpiston, hanskrsg and skinned like this.
  9. GFN

GFN Avatar

I just say to be prepared to be seen as a witch and a heretic by the people of New Britannia who see the religion as a rip off of the Virtues and the Avatar. Also... just to make things a bit easier to understand.. You'd be teaching them about things from your world and that they have no record of and would only know about from your book (The Bible). Therein, realistically there would be skeptics. Lots of them. Unless you plan on doing this out of characterly.. which in that case, forget what I just said and understand you'd be dealing with people who probably don't want to hear it.

Not being mean here, just looking at it from the perspective of someone in Britannia. My personal advice is to not go through with it seeing as how there's even demons (remember Ultima VI and UO?) walking around who might take offense to what the book says. But I can't stop you. Another thing you need to realize is that there might be.. say.. a Hindu group going around and doing just what you are. Again, roleplay perspective brings up the idea that since you have two conflicting ideals and neither one have proof from THIS world then you'd both be seen as heretics or even just not bothered with.

(PS. I am a christian, so if it sounds like it please understand that I'm not berating you.)

10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'm A Christian But I'm Not Playing This Game To Hear Preaching. I'm Not Saying You Don't Have The Right. Its Just Not The Proper Forum For It.

Montaigne and Freeman like this.
  11. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

The only lore I'll be interested within the game is the game's.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I won't limit God. Any medium in any way. Every person on earth is totally unique. Something that speaks to one person may not reach the ears of another. So if somebody filled with the Holy Spirit has the desire to share the grace, the unlimited kindness, and the love of God who am I to question if this is the right forum or not.

Grace and peace be with you brother, and to everyone who has ears to hear and eyes to see it. One thing I will say is when something happens that changes your life dramatically and permanently in a positive way how can you help but share it? I'm convinced that even through the worst of times, it is impossible to let go of the fact something great is available for us all. When what is temporary passes away what is eternal will remain.

I use to feel so afraid and embarrassed for who I was on the inside. I heard the gospel many times before the day I first believed. I mocked Jesus for years. Yet one day when I was genuinely in need of some good news, I heard the message that my sins were no longer my burden. I heard that Jesus Christ paid the full penalty for my sins at the cross and rose from the dead, so that anybody who believed in Him would have eternal life and never come under condemnation again! I simply believed, and JESUS CHANGED MY LIFE. A guy who use to ridicule Jesus turned and preached the message of Jesus Christ everywhere I went because of his grace. I'm not a unique case either. In fact anybody who receives him and believes in his name will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and the right to be named a Child of God. That's a fact. I know, it happened to me, and can happen to anybody regardless of their past and their sins.

I shared that same message while I was in line for Buzzlightyear Astroblasters at Disneyland and the guy I talked to prayed to receive Jesus as his savior while he was getting seated on the ride. So it can happen anywhere, in any forum, because in Him we live move and have our being.

Ome likes this.
  13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I Hear You, Isaiah..And If He Wants To preach..So Be It. I Just Think There Are Times And Places That Aren't Very Appropriate. If Someone Were To Stand Up In The Middle Of A Movie, Theatrical Play Or Concert And Start To Preach To The Audience...I Think Most Of Us Would Agree That Would Be Rude to Everyone There. A Game Like This Is No Different. It's Thousands Of People Gathered Together For Entertainment And escapism. Someone Holding Church In The Middle Of It May Be Good Intentioned..But Still, Imho, Inappropriate.

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

This is yet another thread with a sensitive subject. You'll see we've already done some mass cleanup to it in the past, we don't want to have to do that again. Please keep any flame posts out of it and stay on topic.

skinned likes this.
  15. GFN

GFN Avatar

Thank you Mystic.

I do question the OP's motives though because he seems to be jumping around on his position, going from it being an RP hook to being all OOC every so often. That coupled with him only checking in once in a while just seems fishy to me.

Freeman and Montaigne like this.
  16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I can't really say what the motives of someone are without seeing them first hand in action. What I can tell you is that there are many Christian and other religion based guilds in many games from UO to WoW. So long as they stay within the rules of the game itself, I personally see no harm in it. There is always an ignore feature if I don't like what they have to say. To each their own, ya know?

skinned likes this.
  17. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

While we're bending the barriers of the real world and the fictional world, I have a question. If I am playing myself in New Britannia, and so is someone else in the game and we want to get married, for real, and lets say the OP here who admitted to being a preacher can legally marry people, could we conduct a marriage in New Britannia that is legally binding? Just curious.

As for answering the initial question (with my opinion), normally I would say no way! Personal views of real-world religion and politics has no business in a fictional game setting.

However, you've stated your intention is to keep it in OOC content. In the private situations where OOC is permitted in this game, I doubt there is any rule you can't talk about politics and religion. I believe when it comes to OOC content areas, you just have to ensure you're speaking within the agreed upon topics of the particular group of that OOC area. :D

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread civil, it's always tenuous to bring up personal things such as religion on a 'public' forum such as this.

18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

It wouldn't be legal and binding unless both parties were in person along with the witnesses and preacher/judge/etc. who could legally make it happen. Would be funny if they both said their vows in game though if they were in that situation. Big projectors in the church showing the crowd of people what is going on in game. lol

Anyway...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. GFN

GFN Avatar

Mystic, it's like you're trying to tell us crazy people to streak during it if that ever happens... but iun the most subtle way possible :p

Mystic likes this.
  20. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I still think this issue really tests the boundaries of the invitation to imagine (and play as) ourselves, transported into New Britannia.

The OP is a preacher; were I a preacher, suddenly transported into a new world, I would probably be motivated to continue my mission of witness to the people thereof. The line between RP and OOC gets a bit thin in such a case, because I'd be a preacher RPing a preacher who gets zapped off to some far-flung world.

Meta, baby. Very meta.

God, Deathblow and Miracle Dragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.