When its time to pick lots based on pledge level...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Schwanke, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

Was wondering. When its time to pick lots based on pledge level. Will we get an email saying something to the effect of "At X oclock on Y Date you can login and claim your lot. You have 24 hours before the next pledge level is allowed in."

Also. Will we be able to patch before that time? I envision this situation where I have my village lot and I am ready to make the mad dash to a nice place the moment the window is open only no one told me when and I get to the computer and the window has been open for 6 hours AND I have another half hour of patching before I can login. :(

550$US is a chunk of change for me to get a nice village. As it is in pre-alpha I have no place to put it thats worth anything. I know thats pre-alpha so I am not 'complaining' but I dont want the same problem because enough other people with faster computers and earlier sleep wake up times eat all the good village lots before I can get in. :(

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi and welcome. Your pledge rewards are in your bank. You can place anywhere in the world that is available to place. It is permanent until there is a wipe which happens ever few months at least due to changes and updates/upgrades that need it. At the time of a wipe your rewards that are in the game go back to the bank to reclaim them again. So no worries about a place to live, there a ton of player owned towns also if you want to try that out. This game is not completed yet so nothing is permanent. When we launch we will be notified but that is not for quite some time so no worries. :)

P.S. Player owned towns have helped so much with that mad rush. So we really dont have details yet about how bad or good it will be. We have to find our patience in all things during development since it is an ever changing and evolving adventure we are all in. Congratulations on your pledge. I am majoria in the game if you ever want to say hello.;)

3. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

And... absolutely none of that applies to my question lol. But thanks for the copy and paste. :)

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I did edit if that helps. My answer was we don't know. Sorry I am very wordy quite often.;)

5. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

Hehe. No worries. I get wordy too. Just came up in the Hangout so was hopin might be closer to answering the question. Might influence if I upgrade to the next pledge lot size before retail. Think the next level up is another 300$s so thats pushing my limits of faith on "Dont worry. We'll work it out." :D :D :D

majoria70 likes this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

For each tier, I think they are planning more like a 48 hour window. Because there are several tiers above village lots (Lords of the Manor, Dukes, Barons, Lords, etc.) you should be plenty patched ahead of time.

Ideally I'm hoping they put city maps on the website and create an interface to let people pick them easily, seeing what is taken and available without having to traverse the map of Novia when you're low level.

The other thing you can do is request a lot within a Player Owned Town and know exactly where you're going to be and not have to worry about the land rush at all. There are tons of guilds and PoTs out there for you to choose from, but I do want to mention that Rift's End with the Moongate Travlers has lots available you can request.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Numa, Balandar, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I'm sure we will have the ability to patch up before hand. My reasoning is the team will have to tier the entries, and in order for it to be fair for the very first few groups to be let in, they have to provide a patch window so people are ready.

With the amount of thought that has gone into this whole process, they will make sure the playing field is as even as possible.

8. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Since everyone will be on the same playing field within thier respective tiers, I highly doubt an interface external to the game will be programmed to run concurrently with people actively playing the game, picking lots.

9. enderandrew

There will be some people complaining about download/patch problems costing them their ideal real estate permanently, or they couldn't get to their ideal spot with an entry level character trying to traverse the map.

10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Perhaps, but it would only be replaced with complaints about eventual disparities with this interface not being up to date or failing to claim a lot you thought was open. Our any other number of technical issues that stem from making a more complex system.

12. Kenryuu

Kenryuu Avatar

A web based user interface will probably be the best solution. It is easy to get internet access these days - even basic http/https will work for a backer who might be travelling in China on business, or stuck in an army base on assignment when the landrush begins.

Port could just stipulate that the land-rush be done over the web rather than in client to keep things simple - this before even opening the servers for public log-on. Maps of the the NPC towns should be readily available by then - and prospective landowners should already be familiar with the lay of the land, having participated in the pre-alphas and alpha.

My $0.02

Numa, Maeryck, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  13. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I kind of like the idea of a website option due to the reasons mentioned above.

So we know, there will be a list of pledge rankings generated based on Tier - Era - Pledge Amounts. So long as people were emailed before hand of their ranking they could pick a lot off a map of available spots during an assigned time window. When you get access to the site would depend on actual pledge amount at that Tier/Era.

For example; Say I'm a Founder Duke (I wish) and I was at $5400 pledged, my access to the website would be determined by being Duke, then Founder, then $100 ($100 above actual pledge level) The time window could be set at 5 minutes for every $20 spent above pledge level and remain open up until the day before servers go LIVE or they picked a place. So if I decide to take my sweet time more pledges of lesser amounts will come online and I'll still be competing but minus the internet lag/character level issues/ travelling at the time/ whatever else might happen to prevent me from logging in.

Devs could assign the lot markers for particular names as can now happen in POT's.

That's my 2 gold, 50 silver, 18 copper. ;)

Numa and Peabo like this.
  14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Perhaps the landrush could be run in a world void of any monsters or encounters, so 'entry level' doesn't factor in? Would PvP towns want combat on or off during this time period!? :D

mhoward48, Numa and Womby like this.
  15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

You can be sure there will be some kind of notification. As release nears, so many people will be asking the same questions that there is no need to worry about missing a secret deadline. The Community Updates forum is a good place to keep abreast of all new information, as are the Updates of the Avatar posted on the main SotA site (and sent via email).

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

If anyone takes their account's plot and puts it in a POT, I think they're nuts and heres why : you can get kicked out of a lot that's in a player owned town.

Why would I put my one and only residence in a plot that I could get booted from (however unlikely) by the POT owner? That's way too risky and I will never again have another chance of getting a non-POT plot (say that 10 times really fast) because the rush will be over and all spots will now be full.

That's why I think POT's will do almost nothing to avoid the plot rush when release happens. Almost everyone (if they are smart) is still going to put their primary home on a non-POT plot because they will never have another chance to get one (until maybe episode 2 which is god only knows how far away).

That's my two cents. unless portalarium figures out a way to prevent this, I would never even consider putting my plot in a POT.

Miracle Dragon and Brent Sasz like this.
  17. enderandrew

Everyone has to weigh one risk against another. I think the land rush is a bigger risk, but to each their own.

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would assume that it should be a foregone conclusion, during the house rush period all AI and combat is switched off. Anything else would be crazy.

Numa likes this.
  19. Maeryck

Maeryck Avatar

I prefer the web option in some form or another.

If not through a webpage, then ideally I would like to start the land rush with my deed and houses already in my inventory, instead of having to rush to the bank first.
    Equally ideal would be a choice in which city or village I'd spawn, maybe even have an easy way to zone between cities and villages (only during the rush of course, could be done through talking to a town crier maybe?).

Goibniu likes this.
  20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Please develop a webpage application for lot selection. This would solve so many unnecessary problems with a land rush. In fact start a pledge drive to fund this page.

Thanks

mhoward48 and Goibniu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.