Request: No auto-home for Row Lot

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Kit Kimberlin, Aug 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

I know this has been mentioned before, but it would be nice if Row Lots didn't auto-populate with Row Lot homes. The option to have an empty lot would be nice as well if the home deed could be removed. Thanks !

2. Curt

Curt Avatar

from the text where they introduced row lots:

"
    We then looked at our current property distribution and the relative sizes of the lots against each other. We went back to older post like this one that talked about higher density housing in the cities. We realized that if we came up with a new smaller lot size and houses that directly connected with each other that we could increase the number of lots in the game by literally thousands and at the same time push property ownership lower down in our pledge structure. At the same time we realized that performance in these areas of the game would be fantastic due to all the culling that these closely packed streets could provide.

All of this led us to create a new house and lot type we call Row House. These are houses and lots that are contiguous like New York City, Paris, London, Amsterdam, etc. While the lot they sit on is only 10 X 15 meters (¼ the size of a village lot) the house fills the entire lot so it provides a tremendous amount of living space. Row Lots only allow the placement of Row Houses, but Row Houses can be placed on regular lots (Village and above). Also “Empty Lot” is not an option for a Row House Lot. Other than that, Row Houses operate just like every other house. Additionally, larger lot deeds can be used to claim a Row House Lot. We will be adding Row Housing to our pledge tiers as tax free deeds and we will be adding taxed row lots to the add-on store. We will also be creating Row Lot sized basements.
    "

A row of filled Row lots helps with 'culling' blocking sight so they don't need to draw as much.
    thus letting them show more details of whats nearby

3. Kit Kimberlin

Kit Kimberlin Avatar

I understand how/why this has been done, but not every use of a Row House is for densely populated urban areas. Someone may wish to use a small lot for a garden or something else. Just looking for a possible option.

Maybe someone wishes to tear down the eyesore next door and raze the old building in favor of green space.

4. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

I think this would be a good option for POT but I think cities like ardoris britanney, etc should stay with no open lots for row size. I think it would ruin the look and feel of these places. Don't know how easy it would be to code the distinction.

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I think that it would be better to request a house with an open roof, with small walls surrounding that open roof.
    That way you still get the maximum culling but you also get a space on top of the Row house for a mini-garden and some furniture.

6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yes! rooftop gardens :)

Atogrim, Albus, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  7. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I agree, one should be able to use the empty lot however they want.

Kit Kimberlin likes this.
  8. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That's something worthy of a pledge reward :rolleyes: since i can't decorate my front door, i could settle with a flat roof :D

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Just for an alternative perspective :

I own a Hamlet, which provides me some additional square meterage over and above the space I require to place my own lots.

I have a personal aesthetic for my town that I would like to maintain.

The fact that the row lots are so restrictive regarding external decoration means I can place some "Available to anyone" lots, and not have to worry that strangers will build houses made of cabinets on them.​

So, if the ability to allow empty row lots were ever added, I would ask that it be made an option on a town-by-town basis.

Cheers. :)

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I for one own a holdfast and I personally do not currently have a relatively high pledge. I only own a row house myself.. it's a little annoying to me that as a town owner, I can't make it an empty lot.

Even if it's not an option for the average player.. town owners should have some control over what goes on a lot.. even a row lot. If I could do this I would probably turn mine into a garden or do something else with it.. just about anything other than a house. Since I will probably be using a guild member's house for most things..

Honestly I'd rather have a knight's tent or something if the lot's going to be that small. or a decorative space for events would be perfect for me.

11. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i had to completely redesign my area cause i couldn't remove the two dog gone row lots i had placed to add more space. if the were dropped then i would have been able to do what i had imagined but on the other side of the house so what if a person in a city has a row lot and wants the house gone and goes with a picket fence decorations like a urban park so to speak and a few vendors on it that can be seen from the street and not inside a house behind closed doors?

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All hail the shameless plugs! ;)

Duchess Wyldemane and Spoon like this.
  14. Albus

Albus Avatar

Sounds like a fair option for town owners to set for a lot (either to mandate row house staying or to remove it to let players put what they like there). And those knight's tents *are* cool ;)

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  15. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

the system is in place allready. all you have to do is allow an owner to remove house and if he gives up the lot it would revert back to the auto row house . i tried on my row house to add my house to it then delete the house and it would revert back to default row house. no deed was ever placed in my backpack when i switched to my row house

16. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Row House lots are unique compared to others... and the original purpose/restrictions seems fine.

Yet, with the dynamic lot placement in PoTs, I can place a one-off row house on a small flat spot by itself. The row house may look out of place there as a default two story, or a different row house when claimed and placed. I'd like to place a small garden on an open lot, rather than have a row house.

Consider giving this added flexibility to PoT owners and this may help make the PoTs more unique. If a PoT owner kills their town with terrible lag, that's a bit of their fault and people won't go there. Also, it may bring in more business for outdoor deco purchases / crafting.​

Examples of small flat spaces allowing a row house, and please don't un-level the land, these are good easter-egg spots in the tempalte:

In PaxLair, go to the docks and look NORTH past the lighthouse to see "Hermit's Point" 4 story row house by itself. Not bad at all... but could be a garden/lookout spot with trees and, plants, and fountain and seating.

Area: PaxLair (POT_forest_metropolis_01_template) Loc: (151.0, 36.3, 492.4)​

Go east of the docks across the stone bridge by the lighthouse... one row lot fit and is a small house for the lighthouse keeper's family. Not bad as a row lot. But they may want to plant a garden there instead.

Area: PaxLair (POT_forest_metropolis_01_template) Loc: (239.4, 36.0, 160.0)​

I suggest try to have options for PoT ROW lot markers to have:

- default 2-story Row house (and give options for which style to help PoT owners make a stone city, wood/plaster city, etc. look better).

- empty lot by default.

OR...

upon lot claiming to make it an empty lot... no that won't work... would look like broken teeth in a downtown.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Rooftop garden +1

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  18. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

How about a flat piece of rowhouse sized land with decorative fencing deed on the house vendors for the cost of a rowhouse?
    It could come with a couple of styles of fencing/walls as choices (similar to the choices we have in rowhouse styles) and it would have the ability for outside deco, vendors, and gardening. This way if someone puts one of these rowhouse gardens on their larger lot it would look like a fenced in space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  19. Sayumi

Sayumi Avatar

instead we should have garden plots that we can place like pavers!

Row lots are for those who did not want to spend a Citizen pledge but wanted a home. Port bend over backwards to implement these screwing anyone who bought a citizen only for the house. Let's not add more insult to injury ok?

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, the most efficient solution I can see would be to sell a "Park Row Home" in the Add-On Store that is just a grass-filled row lot. This, plus pavers, should allows players to decorate it however they want. Because its in the Add-On Store, it limits the number of completely blank areas that you will run into, and by default still provides the benefits originally noted about the row house (reducing draw calls due to line of sight, etc).

Cristiano Kimberlin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.