Graphics Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I would say, Yes... It was very smooth, now unless there is something different between SPO and OPO I don't understand, but would take a Dev to chime in here... I would say it's the combo of hardware your notebook has, because I had no problems taking out everything in the Tower the 1st floor was easy, the slimes were easy and when all hell broke loose and 10 skeletons, the Liche, the 5 Archers all came down the stairs after me, I just ran up the stairs and started fighting them as they came up after me, I got down to like 1/4 HPs and it was a serious battle... Life drains and heals saved me, and my new Halbert...

I have a better understanding as to "why" ppl are complaining about the performance of this game, as I play on one of the fastest machines I have ever built to date... When they do "optimize", it's just going to get better for me.... Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but...

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

OK, so what's the cost of a system that will allow one to enjoy this game?

3. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Couldn't really say as we do not yet know what the final specs will be, nor what the final optimizations will be. Setting it on last or Fastest for me, on a 4 year old iMac, I get very good frame rates across the board. The higher I set the settings, the worse it gets. Totally unplayable on the highest, but I expect that, both because my graphics card anthems iMac is very old, and because they have not done much optimization yet

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I paid 800€1.5 year ago for a laptop that allows me to play this game. Okay will burn my fingers when I play it to long on highest settings but I can.

Epona likes this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

No, TSE is not acceptable for me, and my specs are on par with Smoker's.

The problem is the huge amount of polygons from bookshelves on the ground floor, added in R20. If I look toward the main library room (yes, even behind other walls! I think something's wrong with Z-buffer and culling), I can forget about smoothness. I have to fight/walk/explore looking AWAY from the library, and then it's fluid again.

Epona likes this.
  6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

You can down all the money you want but as it is now I doubt it will run well under Linux. When I say well I mean everything at maximum settings with a minimum of 70fps.

The game is far from being finished though and I have no problems trying new features with my new 15fps, I have only enough time to do some testing no time to game :(

Instead of running to the store to get new gear I would suggest you just wait for performance tweaks or switch to windows since SotA runs better on it at this time.

Epona likes this.
  7. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

It will depend on how "fast" you want to go, and how much you have to spend... I buy OEM 64 bit OS on eBay (I started with Win8 and free upgrade to 8.1 bought MCE, then went back to Win 7), I buy last years model of everything else... I generally go Intel all the way and Windows, But I also use my computer for video editing and streaming, so I got 100 mbp Internet connection... I bought my whole system in parts for like $1,800.00 USD (Dec 2014)... That included i7 4790k cpu, 32gb DDR3 1600 mhtz, z97 Fatal1ty Killer MB, 7x HDD, 2x SSD (Pri RAID), BluRay burner, 850w PS, Case, PNY nVidia GTX 760 Duel (video BIOS)...

Then I put it all together and configured OS...

1st shop around, do you want "Portable" or "Desktop"? I would still go Intel, AMD is cheaper, but I think "you get what you pay for" in computers (most pre-built computer don't use the best components, try "Alienware" they make custom game machines)... Use an HDTV for a monitor, I got a 32" for $242.00 USD...

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Just want to chime in on monitor, best monitor for gaming to my knowledge is nvidia gsync screens. Think acer makes one, 24" cost around 500 usd.

Google gsync for some explanations on what it does

9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I'm a "cheap skate" at heart (shop at Walmart) and just now getting HD from my DirecTV, so 1080p is like WoW to me at 60 htz (and I think TV is only 30 fps, Movies are like 70 fps at the theater)... I'm still trying to figure out 4k HDMI out... gsync 144 htz, WoW... as I said, I'll wait for the next model comes out to buy...

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh man that reminds me the time i got my first hd screen for pc.
    I was like "ok i can dual screen with the old one! cool!". Wanna guess what happend?
    After 20 minutes the old monitor went into the basement because i couldn't stand how crappy the quality was right beside my HD screen, lol.

SmokerKGB and Sindariya like this.
  11. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

Heh, I remember the days when Everquest came out, and 3d multiplayer got going. The computer I was using (self built) required me to take off the side panel and, in the summer, use a window fan blowing into the case to run the game for more than a few minutes. Coolers were woefully insufficient.

Then it turned into keeping bios and VC drivers updated every game patch.

I'm not surprised that some systems, and some of the OS will not work well with this rapidly changing game, from time to time.

They are using Unity, so it's not like they are making up an off the wall, proprietary, engine, just to marginalize portions of the gaming community, or pick on people with less than new computers.

There are perhaps reasons that game development does not generally include a horde of the unwashed this early in the project. I know we have invested real money into the game, but at least I (and perhaps others) am not a game developer. While I am having fun watching the show, I usually limit my game play issues reporting to the bug forums.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It was a rhetorical question. The game should perform the same in all scenes and not require special hardware for say the tower of the shutting eye.

13. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What "should be" is not what programs can offer you... Specially when a program isn't even finished yet, the fact is that programs run more smoothly when your computer has "lots" of resources at it's finger tips, if you expect an "early access" game to run as smoothly as possible, citing the most "intensive" area as an example, then you're expecting way too much from a game...

I suggest you stop playing, and wait for the final product... If you want to continue to use a "notebook with Linux" you still won't be happy with it's performance...

14. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

agree on the notebook part... partly, should be playable on low-mid settings as for Linux /mac / Windows there shouldn't be any real difference ( when the game is finished )

Edit: that is it should run smoothly, might not look exactly the same.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

"Not finished" is not a good excuse for poor performance. Also, "you should get a better PC" or "you should switch to a different OS" or "you should not play" are not reasonable solutions.

As I Said in my original post, the developers should spend some time optimizing. This will absolutely have to happen at some point and it will make it easier for backers to test (and make them happier) if the game runs smoother. It will also help boost the game's overall reputation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    Epona likes this.
  16. Epona

Epona Avatar

Same here, Lord Barugon. I'm using a gaming notebook and am a true lagging fool in Shuttered Eye. And when I first logged in today I could hear the scene but the graphics didn't load.

17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Epitaph entrance lags a lot too. Not at the level of TSE, but close.

4EverLost likes this.
  18. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

After having a bit more time in game on Linux I noticed that I had only been in owls head before, my fps now seems to go between 10-40 depending on the scene, as for video quality was my own monitor settings that was the problem... well now its playable for me under Linux :)

Edit: res 1920 x 1026, shadow distance high and all boxes below are checked.
    Not at all displeased with SotA on Linux anymore considering we're not at performance optimizations stage just yet.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Performance actually seems worse this release. Really, though, it seems to get a little worse every release.

Epona likes this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am not seeing performance down. I just keep my settings for video at fastest though and still the game looks more beautiful as we go a long. Sorry you are having issues though Lord Barugon. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.