No world chat in Shroud is a security risk, kills newbies, and perhaps a kitten or two.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You are not playing the right game for those things well imo. I play star wars old replublic and I do like the game, but it is not this game imo.

For this game I am here for the item interactives from the statement 'if it looks like it can do something it will", doors that open, chests, trunks that open, items you can place in your house and around the world, items you can dye, getting cursed or poisoned from something you find in the world and having to find the cure and watch your character react to it, and perhaps even die from it, deep story lines. Trying to see what I can discover because the game will have so many faucets to it, I want to fish up messages in a bottle, perhaps treasure maps, treasure hunt, fish off boats onces the boating system comes in, npcs that perhaps will follow you and remember who you are, I want mysteries and surprises, and some of the UO experiences, but you may not be looking for those things. I love wandering around the world and checking someones vendors to see what they have for sale. We won't have the rune system to mark their vendor, but it gives a reason to explore.

Oh well go a head and give your opinions on things. That is what we are here for. I don't use the wasd keys myself and good to mention improving the UI, yes much of it does need improved.;)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

I have never ever been in the IRC global chat. Am I really missing something?

I don't really care if we have a global chat. But I mean if people are using the IRC chat as a global chat, what's the real harm in adding it?

Aldo likes this.
  3. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

majoria, Enfo is using sarcasm, mockery, caps and bright obnoxious colors to make a point that in-game communication would be a bad idea. By the way...if that mockery is directed at me and my comment regarding it being nearly 2016 and a game like this deserves better social features...real nice. Very mature way of expressing your opinions. I'm not sure you beat that dead horse quite enough because it's still twitching a little. Maybe give it a few more whacks? I think there were a couple colors in the rainbow you missed anyhow.

Lord Baldrith and Webbler like this.
  4. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

I love how everyone says we have such a wonderful community yet when a logical suggestion is made about a help channel which would be manned by the community the assumption of barrens chat is put forward.

Greyfox and Webbler like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol well no worries. I appreciate the subjects coming up to keep us on track and yes I do miss it sometimes;)
    I am very aware our communication ability is lacking. It drives me crazy, but global is not the answer, well imo. Me mature, that's crazy;)

Whyterose likes this.
  6. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Is it really that hard to Google for help if needed? I hope this game never has a global chat, I liked that it was never in UO and it was rarely helpful in other MMO's I have played.

Ronan and Logain like this.
  7. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Not everyone has the benefit of trusting google, some people perfer jeeves or bing to do searches and those might sometimes link you to virus websites so we need global chat.

I am not using sarcasm or mockery to bring a point - I am using the points other people have said to further let everyone know of the arguments for global chat, which I am fully in support of. Bro, its nearly 2045, not everything is a slight against you. Real mature to jump to the real mature comment.

Also, people don't all have 2 monitors or speakers, so its not fair and a security risk to have them look up forums to find information or where to find vendors, so a global auction house is the only real cure. New players will have a hard time finding stuff so global chat and auction house will pancea that with giving them what they want because lets face it that most will have no idea about anything about the game. They will just wonder over to Gamestop, look at games, see "shroud of the..." and remember that shroud was a vocabulary word awhile back so this game must be for high-rollers. Get on, make an account, and get in game just to found archaic systems like having to walk to vendors and find other players to talk to and such. Lets evolve already and cut that stuff out and just add in the spaceship with tractor beams to do the mining for us like any sensible system would have it.

Amirite?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

How do you play single player games? You have no global chat and function ok?

Heradite and Enfo like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Greyfox
    I am sorry but that's....i am not even sure what it is.
    But your arguments for a world chat seem rather off to me.

10. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

When I play candy crush I make sure to say my moves loudly so my coworkers here my every move. It would be cheating if I didn't. Skyrim has global chat, the greybeards are the only ones that are opted in, everyone else opted out. So yeah, my single player games have more function than we do.

11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree, new players need to be introduced to the game in a way that will make them want to stay.

I strongly disagree with the assumption that a global chat is a good solution. In theory, new players could even be verbally abused or purposely misled by griefers. The game itself needs to provide an adequate introduction. Indeed this absolutely must be the case because it will be played by people in single player offline mode.

Whyterose, Enfo, helm and 3 others like this.
  12. Gix

Gix Avatar

You shouldn't have to use external tools to figure out things that the game should provide in the first place.

As for having a global chat itself; it won't fix the issue.

Kaisa likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So what happens if you don't have gloabal chat or global auction houses which this game will not have? We have vendors. I have a vendor. That is already the system and even more so they are pledge items and said to be purchaseable or have the ability to work to earn one in the game for those who don't pledge for them.

Because a game does not have the features you mention does not mean it is not of this century. It just means it is not that type of game. True I agree the UI and many components of the game are still not fully fleshed out but most are just first iterations at this point.

In my opinion constructive feedback is on the systems we have and the game we have. I am not saying I don't like your ideas. I play many other games myself here and there. I have played about everything out there except GW2. I missed that one. This game to me is longevity, not running from game to game. I would love to hear your feedback on the current systems besides scrapping them. The systems are new in this game, yes they need your feedback and help.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  14. Rabum Alal

Rabum Alal Avatar

Game immersion is important to me.

I support keeping global chat out of the game.

15. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

this was my original idea. could serve to fit the needs, will add another idea to the mix

new players who are guild less can opt into a "global chat " monitored by veteran player volunteers. kinda like a help line that they use /g which if they were in a guild would put them in guild chat but since they are new players it would put them in a global chat like box. anyone spams gold selling items would be kicked from the screen. it would not hurt immersion in any way and only help new players for a short bit of time till they either joined a guild or learned the game. if need be could cap how many game hours of play that function would work as well.

Greyfox and leilakin like this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm personally not a fan of letting players police other people around. You'd then have to deal with their whim (despite their claims of doing it for the benefit of the community). The system suggests that global chat shouldn't exist in the first place.

Join a guild, that's practically a global chat that is being policed. If you don't like how they handle their chat, then you can always move to the next.

Seriously, what new players need is a good introduction to the game; not a customer service chat room.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  17. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

@Gix thats the great thing about this game... we are allowed to have opposing views. that's great in fact gives more perspective. however I will agree to disagree with you on this one. there is nothing like someone that u can msg going damn what did i do where am i or even help im lost. guess what its a complete waste of time for them to page a gm and have them move 25 feet across the map cause they are lost. the ideas i posted were a compromise to both sides of the line that both sides could agree to. it was a lets find a happy medium that could satisfy all the squares.

18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Ravicus,

Where are your facts to prove Shroud isn't losing players, and perhaps a significant number for NOT including a feature that has been in every mulitiplayer online game since the earliest MUDS?

My proof is logic, your proof is, by your own admission based upon a personal bias.

Webbler likes this.
  19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

This immersion nonsense needs to stop being used as a feeble excuse to include or exclude anything from Shroud. I could list off hundreds of "immersion" breaking activities and features within Shroud. I already gave the magical coconut solution for global chat.

What is more immersive than a magic coconut?

NOTHING!

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I never claimed we have or have not lost anyone. I do not have those facts. If some one claims that we are or are not then they need to supply the facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.