Revised (estimated) delivery date

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swan

Swan Avatar

Btw i havent played this in some time. is it alpha state? or are they still saying its pre-alpha :D

strabo, mbomber and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Still calling it pre-alpha... which still fits its state.

strabo, Tarsin, mbomber and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Content creation is one of the fastest process in video game development. The only thing that could delay the process is if they can't find enough level designers for the task.

How do you think companies can make rehashes of games every 6 months to a year? Same dev tools, same game mechanics, same infrastructure, etc...

mbomber, Abhann and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q2-2015-schedule-update.23556/

I don't think it would surprise anyone to learn that there is very little chance we will launch the game/finish its content in the next 3 months.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

mbomber and Jivalax Azon like this.
  6. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

At this point I think asking for a finish line road map is appropriate. Sure, It can be adjusted, but what *is* the current plan?

If I were to take a guess, I think they feel pretty confidant that they can complete most of the EP1 Core Game Functionality Programming by the end of the year and be in a place where they would no longer REQUIRE information to wiped.

The rub will come down to content and world building and how much is complete. They will have to make a decision on if they want to wait for the entire EP1 content to be completed or choose to release the ending content over the first few months of next year, while letting us all get started on the lower end content. So I would be interested know if they are still planning on waiting for the whole thing to be complete or release EP1 in stages.

7. Cosmos

Cosmos Avatar

Indeed, we understood it. But i am curious to know if there is a new calendar, if the team works yet today to launch SOTA closer as posible the initial schedule, or if we have to wait mid 2016 or even later...

8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

This game as is right now, is no way near completion .... there's way too many problems that need to be resolved, and I doubt very much if it can be this year .... Don't risk loosing players pushing out an unfinished project .... fix the bugs, balance the game, make combat fun, add the sound effects for harvesting and the proper ones for the animals etc .... fix Archers .... REMOVE and replace decay, I don't like it, at least not when off line .... address our concerns ..... the list goes on and on and on ....

LUM is right when he said :
    "I don't think it would surprise anyone to learn that there is very little chance we will launch the game/finish its content in the next 3 months."
    I am definitely not surprised LUM....

Beli, NaomiLin, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  9. mercster

mercster Avatar

My completely ignorant estimate:

Alpha - Early 2016
    Beta - Mid/Late 2016
    Final - Early 2017

EDIT: I edited.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Ah, I suppose the game will have to be released some time. Unforunately for me. I've had such a blast playing the pre-alpha, the released game will be a let-down. No more having a home in a central NPC location in addition to my POT home, no more being a master of all skills (ok in R 21 the downfall has begun already), no more being so rich that I can give gold and property lots to needy strangers, no more zoning to friends. *SIGH*. How about releasing an R20 alpha version of the game :)

11. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Honestly, I'm glad it won't be released this year. It's far from a finished state atm, and there's no way it could be in a finished state in just 3 months. I'm happy to wait til it's done next year. They only get one shot at releasing a new game to impress buyers, and I'm happy they're taking the time needed to release it in its best state possible.

Lady Vixon, Chatele, mbomber and 2 others like this.
  12. agra

agra Avatar

Like PFO, all they have to do to 'launch' is promise no more char/xp/item/skill/gold wipes.

Of course, there's extraordinary risk with such a plan, but technically, that's all it would take.

13. smack

smack Avatar

For the multiplayer sandbox, that may be true. But you're forgetting they have an entire self-contained single-player 40-hour RPG experience to deliver.

mbomber and Alexander like this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

I was under the impression that is all being developed in parallel, and will only be revealed at launch. So, it could be ready, or not, but we don't/won't really know until the day they flip the switch.

15. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

This question was answered in the hangout on 9/10/2015.

The answer is:
    We are not prepared to give you a release date.

16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Barnabas Root likes this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, that's that I guess....I guess they are not yet comfortable projecting a date.

18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Soon™....

Sir Frank and monkeysmack like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

As expected...

I think asking for a release date is the wrong question. We should be asking what they define as as "launch". Will it include all the features committed to during the KS, including the KS Stretch Goals? Will it include single player offline (which it seems from the hangout might even be made available shortly after launch)? Will it include all of the POIs mentioned in this list by Richard?

Or, will it simply be no more wipes, regardless of completion of all Ep1 story or content, polish / optimization, stretch goals (KS or otherwise), etc?

And regarding single player offline mode: I'm again going to lobby @Chris @DarkStarr for a pseudo-offline mode. It was said in the Hangout that they can't enable that for testing because they don't get the telemetry they need. I think they can still enable a pseudo-offline mode for us to test the unique offline mechanics yet still send telemetry. At launch, they can disable that telemetry and any need to be online. I think it's a huge disservice if those unique offline mechanics can't be tested by the community because that doesn't give the community any opportunity to give feedback on those unique mechanics / features.

strabo, Katrina Bekers and AvatarAcid like this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

RG answered that during the hangout personally.

...I believe his answer was "when we're happy."

mbomber likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.