No world chat in Shroud is a security risk, kills newbies, and perhaps a kitten or two.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Immersion and regional economies are NOT poor arguments. They are staples of the game. If you do not like the game and its core values then I say find a different game. Do NOT break the game to suit your whims. If they implemented Global chat it would certainly break the game also and provide a playground for griefers and trolls and exploits. Yes this is the 21st century so use your 3rd party options to gain information about what prices are locally or to have your personal conversations that no one else cares to read.

Logain, Atogrim and Enfo like this.
  2. Haz

Haz Avatar

As I said in an earlier post, I think it may be necessary for the new player to have a way to ask for assistance in an way that they may be used to. A way they maybe comfortable with. I do understand why folks may not want a global chat. What about something along these lines?

There's not a global chat, but in the beginning city of Soltown, maybe there is a city wide chat? Maybe in one starting area there is an area chat? No where else. Just those two areas.

Like I said, I think the new players may need a hand, and being able to ask a question quickly and easily, without having to confront their noobness, would help with the transition to SotA.

I need to also make an observation here, there is no regional economies folks. There is a game economy, it's not regional. If you think it's a regional economy, as opposed to a game economy, please help me out with an explanation. Maybe I'm looking at this part incorrectly.

Kaisa likes this.
  3. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

While I don't doubt that some groups of people will find various ways to arrange trades, the devs have no obligation to make it any easier to do so in-game.

Personally I have mixed feelings on this topic because I kinda like chat room atmospheres sometimes, but a single global chat is guaranteed to attract toxic behavior and I don't want to see anyone on the dev team have to moderate constantly just to counter that. Maybe something like 10 overworld map chatrooms based on location would work better?

The only real solution to the moderation issue is going to be involving some of the more serious and productive players imo; some kind of specially recognized 'moderator's guild' with Firelotus and the forum mods at the head and a flowing cast of in-game chat mods underneath keeping everything in order. That might be a little too much to ask of Gina though :p.

Then again maybe local chat is all we need, like I said I've got mixed feelings.

4. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

This topic re-surfaces every few weeks/months, because it's a so important to players on both sides of the issue. But the tradeoffs are simple. You wind up either with:

a) Barrens chat; or
    b) Ghost town vibes and lots of lost newbies

Take your pick. And btw, what's with the statement that this is not an MMO. Of course it's an MMO. It's not UO, and yes, it's slated to have a single player option, but the game as played today involves "Massive" numbers of "Multiplayers" all "Online" at once. By definition it's an MMO.

margaritte likes this.
  5. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Hell, as I said you could have the radio towers or something and those near em can communicate. This would be a "global chat" but be contained to an area near a tower (Maybe even have a radio tower as a lot item or available for POTs) We already have the in-game radios, expand them. That would settle it for both sides.

Kaisa, ThurisazSheol and Greyfox like this.
  6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

YUP! :)

ok, so first you say this:
    then you say this:

so tell me, which is it?

you miss the point. any way to get RID of the gold sellers is the point. removing their FREE advertisement medium, will go a long way with it. you shouldn't HAVE to /ignore them... oh, and they really are already here? i haven't noticed, BECAUSE we don't have a global channel. *chuckle*

nope.

i do not doubt it, but it isn't black or white. there are many shades of grey when it comes to immersion and breaking the fourth wall. that line is in a different place for literally EVERYONE. so, what the devs have to do is plot those lines and find a spot that works best for most of their active target audience. people on either side of their chosen line will be butthurt. it happens, apparently a lot with this group of ruffians we have on these forums (myself included)...

now this, i can get behind. it would also add another reason to have or to not have a tower in your town.

some way to....plug in...to the moon magic as converted via the tower itself.. i think that would be a decent compromise, especially if the devs show in the distance in the other scenes (and overland map) where the moon towers are located.

Enfo likes this.
  7. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

No one will get behind that because it is a happy medium that makes sense - so do not even consider it.

Instead get prepared for WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH WTS COPPER ORE 10G EACH

Atogrim and Ronan like this.
  8. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Enfo...I was looking for a way to turn that off!

Enfo likes this.
  9. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    It is a bad idea, please don't ask the developers about it or anything. I, like many other people here, want to be down at the bottem of malice slaying demons and just see "HOW DO I LEARN HEALTH SKILL?" "LEATHER 10G EACH! BUY NOW!" "USA>CHINA REMEBER PEARL HARBORZ!"

Plus when I am at the bottom of that dungeon I can complain about everything and spam and everyone can hear me complain, which is only right!

If the towers are also craftable eventually that would be nice also. Maybe smaller ones for homes so that I could turn on the radio in my row lot and talk crap to the other idiots that got trapped into Rats Nest, but since it is so small it just is like a region chat... Just a thought.

10. leilakin

leilakin Avatar

The reason they typed their user name and password into the SotA IRC chat is because they are instructed to do so, as was I, as is everyone.
    See image of the chat, below, where it says:"
    NickServ- Your nickname is not registered. To register it, use: /msg NickServ REGISTER password email."
    When you type that, you get an error, yet it displays your typed data in the chat window.

[​IMG]

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It says your nickname is not registered, but it does not need to be. This is a failing of decades-old technology...

We really need to have another line at the end of the /MOTD that says "Warning: Do not enter personal information in chat. Your nickname only needs to be registered to access private chatrooms; please contact an admin on the forums to provide access details."

12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hmm, when I enter the world of Novia for the first time, I won't find a "lifeless MMO". I will find a single player RPG - hopefully not lifeless but who knows...
    SotA is no MMO, it is a Selective Multiplayer RPG. Not everyone will play this as an MMO and thus not everyone will want MMO mechanics in this game.

13. Gix

Gix Avatar

You know what frustrates ME the most? People who think, just because others are asking for some information, that they believe that those guys want to be hand-held.

I want the game to teach me how to play the game through game-play. If it does not, then it shouldn't expect me to know the things that I don't.

When I first played the game I went to EVERY POSSIBLE AREA I COULD FIND and I kept being brutally murdered by everything except rabbits and sheep.

The only quests I could find (including the Hat quests) would send me to areas that I would have no chance of surviving even on one-on-one.

I'm ADlvl 16 and I can BARELY kill the zombies in Solace Bridge effectively/consistently... so I'll apologize is advance if my past experiences have made me extremely bitter on the subject.

Some people want to do it by themselves... they don't want to be hand-held so why the !@#$ would they ask for other players to help them in combat?

14. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Solcebridge is a good place to start and hidden vale

15. Gix

Gix Avatar

How does a level 1 fare?

Is it possible? Sure. HOWEVER:

Story wise, Edvard tells you to rush out of Solace Bridge to give the news in Soltown. Going BACK to Solace Bridge was actually that last zone I ever checked because "why would the game send me away if I needed to be there?"

Then, once you figure that stupidity out (regardless of whenever or not you found Stanly ~ because even that is messed up), you got to deal with wolves, spiders, skeletons and zombies... 2 of these inflict DoTs on you... one of these is constantly on you if you're near the enemy.

Hidden Vale is something different... because if you ever played another video game in your life, you'd know that the further away you are from your starting location, the chances of your survival is lower and lower.

The thugs right outside Soltown (random encounters and the nearest possible mob you will find ~ because you don't know about the sewers yet) will murder you. I mean, I'm already dying from the Solace Bridge monsters or the area around Soltown (where the story told me to be), what are the odds of the Hidden Vale monsters to actually be appropriate for my level?

If all you do is die constantly regardless of where you are, then you kind of have this constant feeling of doubt wherever you go. Hence why people are asking "where am I supposed to go?"

Do you honestly believe they're asking to be hand-held?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

you can type that in any of the windows in your chat app. i do it in the status one, that is not a chat window. nobody will ever see it, that way. :)

but yes, it does need to be explained to the newer folks who do not understand how IRC works, or even those that do but are unused to using kiwi as a client (if they do)

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

to join the irc chat is not difficult or are any extra steps needed now. If you are a registered user 'logged in' to the SOTA website then you click on 'chat' then you are in. ;)

18. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

You geht a Quest in solcetown to go back to kill the undead

19. Gix

Gix Avatar

Last time I checked, Stanley didn't say anything about going back to Solace Bridge. Even if he was, Stanley isn't the most obvious character to find... meaning that until you find whoever sends you back to Solace Bridge, you're screwed.

20. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Dont talk about stanly there is a bandit right next to the in. In this game you should take your time and talk to people.

If you where pationt enough should have picked up a note and a broken wordhild, near the camp where you find stanly you can talk to a woman who will reward you for bringing here this items.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.