PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I think rune has been steadfast in his views for a long time. He has been consistent and vigilant in his statements. He may not think like you and you may not think like him but you should not belittle him for his statements. It is what he feels and it is honest feedback, even if it is not what you want to hear.

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Funny you say that because that's the exact feeling I get with you, or did I miss the part where you compromised at all with what I said?

Ravicus Domdred and mbomber like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Good night, Rune.

mbomber likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh that doesn't even matter...you CHOSE to put money in the game. Should we bow down to the few that did spend that huge amount of cash? It's great that you did, but no one forced you to or expected to be your serf for it.

5. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    mbomber likes this.
  6. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I can agree he is giving honest feedback from his negative point of view. However, if that point of view in not based on *facts* but on a dislike of what is currently implemented in the game, then I have to call shenanigans. You think I belittle his viewpoint? Not really. I am merely pointing out that *his* statements are belittling to PoT owners in general and foster the impression that widespread abuse of power is a fact when it isn't.

Ravicus Domdred, Kaisa, Womby and 2 others like this.
  7. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

You in a previous post stated "So far all I've seen are PoT owners trying to give back to the community in ways both large and small. I have not seen or heard of one single instance of a POT owner abusing anyone. I sure do wish I owned the *all-seeing-crystal-ball-of-future-possible-POT-owner-abuse-of-power* that you have. And yes, this time I am being a bit sarcastic, I cop to that."
    What you have is a point of view that you have not seen this. I can agree you might not have seen this. No one can see everything. That is the reason why a community needs input. Not everyone sees things the same way. You do not know for a fact that some of the people that own towns will not be in it for pure monetary gain. Or you might be able to and not want to mention it. Of course its not in game yet because people are posturing. They have not shown their hands yet. It will be seen for what it is in the future then either you can laugh at rune and me or we can laugh at you. I do not want to go down that path and wish to explore a better dialog though. So when you say some one is negative, they might have a reason for it. Maybe you can message rune and talk about it civilly or talk about it as adults here instead of downplaying them to a "negative" connotation.

Ravicus Domdred, Xandra7 and mbomber like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Really, I will ignore the sarcastic tone of your post and tell you why I think there should be rules.

I am not seeing a ton of abuse YET. I don't think there is any reason to do that in pre alpha. I care about the welfare of the game, so I can comment on anything I want, let's be clear on that.

I don't need proof that people will abuse a system that has no rules if there isn't rules in place to stop that from ever happening. If it's possible it will be done. Right now there is no gain in doing it, when land is scarce and people really want to manipulate the market they will abuse these powers. I suggested some safeguards in the rules of what PoT owners can do. I didn't say take away their PoT's. If it isn't a big deal, why is it such a big deal to have rules?

Extremely negative statements? I have been attacked for making the OP by many of you gracious PoT owners.

If you don't expect to have any abusive things in your PoT's then why would you worry about rules being in place to protect people?

Strange.

25 pages on something that is not a problem....

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Actually this thread is the best sleeping pill, ever. It makes sleep grab a cool fluffy pillow and snuggle up with its dreamy dreams. Thank you.

Lord Baldrith, Kaisa, Spoon and 3 others like this.
  10. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

that is so on topic @Budner thanks for trolling

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Thanks, I really appreciate you coming in here with your constructive comments, you don't have to read or comment here if you don't like it....

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I never said I don't want rules. I think rules would be a good thing. What I don't think is a good thing is to make sweeping generalizations about *abusive powers* when in fact there is no evidence of abuse.

PoT owners should be given a clear set of rules regarding that ban power you and others worry so mightily about. Whether that will happen I cannot say. Whether other PoT owners agree, I cannot say. Whether the ban power will remain as is or changed, I cannot say. What I can say definitively is what I've said time and again - this perception of power being abused by PoT owners is not based on facts or evidence. I am not attacking you, I am challenging you to produce the evidence to back up your negative perception.

As for land being scarce in the future, I cannot say because I don't own a crystal ball. ANYONE, not just a PoT owner, could manipulate the housing market. Anyone with multiple accounts that gives them tax-free deeds could do that. Why buy a PoT for 2K when you can buy 4-5 lower level accounts that give you the ability to claim 4-5 lots during the land rush? You don't think anyone has planned for that? You don't think some non-POT owners won't be looking for a way to cash in, either for real $$ or ingame gold?

It has been stated time and again by PoT owners besides myself that many of us have towns to avoid the land rush and just live within our PoT. So either way - whether the concern is abuse of the ban hammer or abuse of the housing market, the fact is anyone can abuse anything at any time for any reason.

Lord Baldrith and mbomber like this.
  13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You didn't bother to read what I wrote. As is the case with many people on the forums.

I never accused anyone of abusing the power right now, so get over that please.

I absolutely believe it will happen in the future without rules.

I don't need evidence to tell you that people will abuse a system without rules....that should be pretty obvious.

The difference between a Lot owner and a PoT owner is one can ban you at whim, the other has no control other then owning a lot that he could sell you.

A pot owner as of this moment:
    Can kick you out of his/her PoT at will.
    Can ban any player coming in.
    Can charge anything they want as rent(not much in fixing this.)
    These abilities are abusive abilities, meaning they can be used to abuse not that people are using them now like that....obviously what I meant.

I argue that no player should have ban ability.
    I also argue that players should have to rent out the lot on those PoT's so that they cannot just kick out someone when they want that lot back for a friend or what not.

Challenge me all you want, tell me what I can and cannot comment on, that's not your place to do that.

One thing I have noticed is this belief by a few that we wouldn't have this game at all if it wasn't for you guys buying PoT's etc, don't forget there are a lot of us who spent a considerable amount as well who want this game to succeed. Without any control to these PoT's I see the ability for some serious drama to ensue after release.

Like I said, 25 pages.... No thread gets that much traction if it isn't a concern.

I haven't even mentioned the amount of time they have devoted to these towns, and they aren't done working on them. (It isn't just one person working on these.)

14. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

True and people have often died not getting up from games, playing too long. Very true.

15. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I did read your post. I read all of your posts when I see them. I can agree that *some* people will abuse a system without rules. I will add that some people will abuse a system even with rules.

I know you never accused anyone in particular of abusing power *right now*. Yet you insist on making sweeping generalizations about PoT owners that no matter what anyone says to you, you have your mind made up. It confounds me that you "...have absolutely no interest in PoT's. I do not want to live in a place at the whim of another player" and yet you have such concern about something that will never affect you. In fact, you can't even speculate how many people might actually get banned in the future. 1? 10? 15? More?

In my *perspective* you are not providing a balanced dialogue about PoT owners. You have the right to say what you want. Go for it. However, I will continue to challenge you and anyone else who has a gripe against PoT owners and seems to promote negativity toward them based on nothing but speculation.

16. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

We already know that there are some players and POTS that are in it for "pure monetary gain" or at least some monetary gain, this is no secret. I personally am ambivalent about it. Some good and some bad about it. Not my cup of tea though but i wont castigate them.

If Ombudsman is not good we can have Tribune of the Avatars or maybe Tribunus Avatara ?

17. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I am not out to laugh at anyone unless they are a comedian trying to entertain me. You and Rune can do as you like in the future. I am dealing with the present and the present is very rosy with a lot of wonderful people doing their utmost to help foster a sense of community. :) I look forward to seeing THAT continue in the future and seeing the positive effect on the people who actually want to participate. Being a part of the community is open to anyone, costs nothing and is a lot of fun.

18. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I do thank you for your honesty. I thank you for your ambivalent stance also. What we need to do is connect a bridge to those that do not share these views, that are not ambivalent. These people, like me would like portalarium to show their stance on this. If they publicly say they support the monetary gain from the few from the new player base. Or if they take no stance in the issue and let us fight it out in the forums. Or if they say its wrong and they do not take this stance. I do not think portalarium will play their hand on this though because they want to let us settle it this way. From what I can gather is that the lower class people have pretty much been muted on the issue though. There has been some threads many pages long talking about this, including this one. I think we have much in common that we want everyone to have a great game, and thats why I am saying what I am saying. I do understand funding needs to occur but I also think that the game should be organic in a sense at launch. Its a hard line and a hard balance. What we need is to have some hard lines be softened and with that we can actually grow as a community, instead of a divided one.

Ravicus Domdred, Xandra7 and mbomber like this.
  19. The Unwanted

The Unwanted Avatar

I do not disagree with you on that. I actually really like much of what you do and say. All I am suggesting is that you do not dismiss other people that have feelings. I am not trying to be rude but you come across as everything is rosy, and it might be to you. It might be to port. There are people that disagree with this though, and you should hear them out, understand them, and work with them.

Ravicus Domdred, rune_74 and mbomber like this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You go ahead and "challenge me" and keep trying to knock my opinion down with that quote...notice the rules I want put in would take away the "whim of another player".

This is a game in development, it is also a game with a lot of controversy with regards to high bidders.

This lording over players by many of the highest bidders is part of what is creating this "negativity" that you accuse me of.

I'm pretty sure I have been willing to discuss the issue all along and quite nicely at that...some of you however do not want that.(mbomber that doesn't include you, it's been good talking with you)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.