PoT's and perception of over power.

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by rune_74, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Starski and Hutch?

Hope to see you in Rats' Nest!

mbomber likes this.
  2. gruenok

gruenok Avatar

You look a bit "overburdened". So it's been fun, but this is even more boring than the game now. Have a happy night!

3. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Track record says otherwise

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Thank you random internet guy, you're always who I put my faith and judgement into.

Grave GodsHammer, Atogrim and mbomber like this.
  5. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

There are lots of things not in the store pages... Nothing about dynamic towns for example, nothing on lots about permissions... I could go on all night about the stuff missing in the store descriptions...

Banning can be a form of role playing ... It's called banishment ... If done right... But hey I'd rather have a few guards there at the gate that just take your head off if you tried to enter.

Sorry can't discuss UO, never played it. But there are plenty of rules so far in SotA and banning from towns and lots are examples... You just don't like those I get it, you want players to have the right to grief to their hearts content, screw the town or lot owner's rights.

But you haven't presented a case to sway me that there's this rash of bannings going on that need to be stopped. Nor any reason why you should have unrestricted access to a town or lot to grief it.

6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

You make a good point with communities entering the lottery, but in the event they do win the prize, the deed goes to the community member who owns the lot, not necessarily the person who owns the town. Most town owners have purchased numerous lots for public services like crafting centers anyway which generates revenue for portalarium (and for those of us with higher pledge levels, we don't need more lots, they will be useless to me other than to offer public services, but I paid RL cash for those deeds) so again I don't see how this is OP for a POT owner.

It's interesting that you called them "gleefully indentured servants". I'm paying my decorators with town and city lots to include Baron and Lord level house deeds which will be potentially be worth hundreds or even a thousand+ dollars post launch. Again, self sacrifice for services that benefit a community is not OP and that's what MOST pot owners will be forced too, post launch, IF they want to be successful.

I'd also point out that your reasons for my claims being invalid are being based on one very unlikely possible future and not on any tangible facts. Even if some folks purchased deeds to sell at a later date, the availability of lot deeds will still be there, whether they are being sold by players for gold/cash or by portalarium is inconsequential. As I stated lower in my post, some WILL take advantage of the opportunities to make excess amounts of gold but the Good governors who are reinvesting into their community wont be the rich and powerful. And yes, leaving a town due to a tyrannical governor IS a perfectly reasonable and very likely scenario at game launch.

That's exactly right. All the duped deeds portalarium caused and gold purchased deeds and donated items/deeds/houses we all have in our pots now will go poof and wont be aquirable in launch. People will be LESS likely to hand over items and deeds for the town due to permanency, so even less advantage there for POT owners. It will force us to work harder to maintain the level of public service we can offer in our towns now. All the resources that came out of Shuttered Eye Tower for crafting furniture and armor for friends wont be there at game launch making it again harder for me as a town owner to deco my public lots (which I purchased with RL cash) and provide assistance to newer players whom naturally look to me for assistance with their gameplay.

My ability to manage my town as I have thus far is thanks to the volunteerism and generosity of my community and self sacrifice on all our parts. So from my perspective what you are actually saying is, "Service to a community is OP". I have little time to go level, I have little time to farm suet to make hundreds of thousands of gold off supple straps and yet I'm still handing out stucco housing to new residents and making trade deals which offer my own personal pledge rewards for post launch services.

If self sacrifice for the good of a community is OP then I am that. *flex*.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    cartodude, Kaisa, Atogrim and 3 others like this.
  7. gruenok

gruenok Avatar

What would you do if you saw me in Rats' Nest? Eat popcorn and hope someone else did something?

sn0tub likes this.
  8. Doctor Mephisto

Doctor Mephisto Avatar

I'm new and probably have misread a lot that I've seen since joining this forum a few days ago and from what I'm seeing here, on Steam, and what I'm seeing in game and from other
    forums really is disheartening.

I literally scrounged up the $45 to give to the project and that's all I could afford. I was so excited I'd have given plenty more... now I'm starting to be happy I didn't.
    Like I said, maybe since I'm new I have missed things or am taking things wrong and I am not trying to go off topic so I'll stay as much on topic as possible, but this is one of many
    things that are really driving me away quick.

I got lost on the world map yesterday far from the newer player area. I kept going in towns hoping to find a way back and finding a bunch of big, empty player towns. I had no clue
    about the banner thing.. so I spent a very long time trying to find a way back and now it seems 99% of the world is player towns or something unfinished??

Thinking this was a typical gamer forum, I post my thoughts on a few things, call one person that was being a jerk a c@reBe@r and get slapped with 4 violations
    and threatened. I search the reputation of the forum and read on Steam and several sites that this forum is heavily controlled by big backers. I then find out, even though I gave
    my measly $45 to back the game, I'm not allowed to see dev forums because I'm not worthy since I didn't pay enough. So I'm not good enough to see what's in development for a game
    I'm backing?

It also seems like a certain group of people are allowed to say whatever they want.

That's part of a laundry list of other things.

Not trying to be negative, and maybe I'm 100% wrong and time will tell, but it is starting to seem like the free shards I played where a bigger wallet gave you more status to control who
    gets what and who gets banned/moderated and god forbid you mention PvP because you get slammed as soon as you do one thing out of line.

I have met some great people, and am trying to stay hopeful, but all of this is really starting to ruin what I thought was going to be great.

Maybe I don't fully understand the PoT deal or other things, but it is kind of annoying when that's almost all there is so far and I could imagine the gold for cash sellers have tons of them littered all
    over.

9. gruenok

gruenok Avatar

/agree. Hope this gets better.

And thank you for your service!

10. Doctor Mephisto

Doctor Mephisto Avatar

Thank you!

11. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I think you are exactly right. I also have faith that the devs. will solve these problems. I do not know why the option to have both POTS that can ban and those that cant wont be a solution. As for the nested POT dweller banned from the POT connecting them i think i saw someplace that you can go directly to to the main map from the nested POT. The nested POT just wont show up on the main map. Not sure where i read that, but in any event im sure a solution can be found.

12. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

/agree

Also having natural and automatic transition from multiplayer to a single player version of the town you're banned from then back to multi when entering the nested town will or should be seamless providing very little impact to the player.

To quote the meme one dev has on his profile, "Keep Calm, this dev team ROCKS!"

Duchess Wyldemane and mbomber like this.
  13. Womby

Womby Avatar

Once again, incorrect. Once you reach a scene, by whatever means, provided you are not banned from that scene you can return to the login screen and re-enter the same scene in multiplayer mode. In the case of POTs connected to other POTs from which one is banned, however, I agree that this would be inconvenient.
    In my opinion it would be reasonable to provide banned players with a shortcut from the world map to their nested POT. That way they can get themselves banned deliberately to make their lives easier. I can't see how that could possibly cause any problems. :)

mbomber and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  14. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

I would like to think most people will make up their own minds about other players, certainly enough will to find friendly folks to play with. I pledged about a year ago now and this is my first "Ultima" game. I am only just starting to get to recognize a few names or becoming aware of who contributes to avatar radio or the plays, i have much more interaction so far with you Rune than most of them so you personally make more of an impact on me than most of them. The only person i have regularly talked to for the past year is Jatvardur. So that is my experience and im sure there will be other players like me. I really cant see how a few long term, or highly active or heavily invested players can cause me any trouble and i doubt they could do much to bother you either unless you let them. You will be welcome to run around naked in my wee part of the world if you like. Anyone reading this is welcome. Perhaps ill run and underwear race?

15. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

This would not bother me personally in the least, but there are other players trying to have fun in a way different from me that need this sort of protection to enjoy themselves. Not my cup of tea but there are not hurting me and it is not my business.

16. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

ok you have given a thought about what not to do, i am very curious what you would recommend to:
    1. fund the game and 2. Compensate those of us that have invested.

Grave GodsHammer likes this.
  17. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

nice. i like it.

18. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Ok, here is my plan how to deal with it:

Dracheninsel PvE
    1. I will lead my PoT like a Guild. Meaning, only after a trial phase you can move in.
    I will choose very carefully. I do not care if i have 20 or 100 residents.
    2. If someone changed, so that there are complaints about him, our 3 escalation levels plan come into effect.
    a. He shall declare himself before the City Council.
    b. Public City discussion (intern forum).
    c. Ballot. 2/3 majority needed to evict him (intern forum).
    3. If the residents decide he has to go, he has 2 weeks to move out.

Unterwelt PvP
    1. I will lead my PoT like a Guild. Meaning, only after a trial phase you can move in.
    I will choose very carefully. I do not care if i have 20 or 50 residents.
    2. If someone changed, so that there are complaints about him: Hey its open PvP. Anarchy rules.

Everyone has to accept this before he can move in.

Atogrim and mbomber like this.
  19. Womby

Womby Avatar

My POT will be uninhabited.

Visiting players will be encouraged to try to unravel the stories of the former inhabitants, and discover why they all died on the same day.

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Personally I have no issue with the way PoTs work other than the fact you can 'ban' players from the scene (even then it's not really banning them, more restricting to single player).

I very much doubt the whole banning thing will change......... I know it's somthing I would never do because I don't agree with it. If someone is causing real issues breaking ToS etc, then it's a Portalarium issue.

I just vote with my feet, I won't go to PoTs where I know players have been banned.

mbomber, Kaisa and Atogrim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.