Fishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Montaigne, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Just started fishing. Fishing is awesome. I'm hooked. That's all.

2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Ditto!

Although I don't think it should say I "successfully" caught a boot... not really successful fishing in my book. Maybe different wording if you catch something unintended?

Time Lord and Montaigne like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

In EverQuest, when you caught a non-fish object on your hook it would say "You caught... something..." Kind of funny. You could also fish with one bait until you either caught something or failed critically, getting a message that you lost your bait.

So... just perspective on another team's take on fishing. lol

4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I just started the fishing too. It's fun - reminds me of UO. I look forward to seeing it be expanded. Things like fish traps could be added too - things people could leave, log out, then come back hours or days later and see what they have caught. A sort of offline type of fishing.

On a side note my favourite fishing system in a game was the one in Twilight Princess.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Haha. I had to look up Twilight Princess to see. One thing that caught my interest since I've never played it, was picking the bait and the types of bait were really interesting. I always have to look games up that I haven't played;)

So i love that we got fishing. yay finally it is here. Just thinking a head a bit. So perhaps we can use some of the aspects we like from many games, and mix and match from ideas that will make fishing really fun. Right now we have a system much like Rifts fishing. So hopefully we will get more detail added in later hopefully lots more;)

So for UO cool things were to catch a great variety of things and also the chance to catch monsters and battles, treasure chests, message in a bottle etc. Ideally interactive features can be taken from many games to give fishing more interest.

In Vanguard the saga of heroes fishing was not so easy, not perfect, but you had to be interactive the whole time in your fishing by learning what the fishes movements/combos were to damage a fish for the catch. It was tough but kept you in the fishing all the time.

Also FFXIV (Final Fantasy 14) had interactive fishing with different bait (craftable, use fish for bait), and for different fish, they had a mulching if that options comes up you have a chance to use the fish you caught to catch a bigger fish(so mulching is using 1 fish to catch another rarer fish),

In age of Wushu one thing that was really cool was that the game showed you actually holding the line with the wiggling fish, which I thought was a nice touch.

Also fishing quests and fishing crafting quests help add some interest and fun for some who like to do them. Perhaps other players will create work orders for fishing needs for those who like to fish, which could be instead of fishing quests..

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishing-ideas.37725/#post-428926

6. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

So I just started... pulled up lots of broken gear and fish. Anyone found anything worth hoping for?

7. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

I heard that fishing is in the new update, which is fantastic!!. Now if someone can list what types of bait can be used, would be much appreciated.
    Also, if the bait is hard to find, can someone tell me where to look for fishing bait.
    Would there be any type of bait that can be obtained through "Agriculture"??
    Thanks in advance to all who reply,,

8. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

Well, I got into the game and found where to get the fishing worms.
    Now if someone can tell me How to use the fishing pole, would help out a lot.
    I have it in my weapon slot, the bait is in my inventory. How do I get cast?? I am not sure if I need to buy hooks or does the fishing pole already come with hooks??

9. Fringe

Fringe Avatar

@Rapjp49 , you probably need to train fishing from the trainer. Once you train, you'll get a skill got your hot bar.

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I keep searching the forum and google, but Im not getting any results on where to get fishing worms/bait. Where do you get the fishing worms?

11. Fringe

Fringe Avatar

Fishmongers in towns sell fishing worms.

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I finally found some in Kingsport, off of Kamalh the Fishmonger. I guess its safe to assume that all fishmonger merchants will have worms.

13. Jhorus

Jhorus Avatar

This. It took me a while until I saw I didn't have fishing trained. d'oh :)

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Once you buy the skill from the skill trainer then under the 'y'' key drag the fishing icon to your non combat bar and your fishing pole to your weapon slot. When you click on the fishing skill icon on your bar you will see a green circle you can place on the water. Your character turns to face whereever you decide to place the circle and casts the line in the water. Then a timer bar begins and feedback is given about what happened, success or failure, and also if anything was caught. If you have worms in your inventory you can fish. When you run out of worms you cannot fish. It is pretty simplified right now as the first iteration but should be getting more details as we go forward.:)

15. Epona

Epona Avatar

I started fishing last night. I hauled in a lot of broken armor, but also fish, like salmon, bass and trout. Almost at once I fished up a ring with intelligence 1. My fishing skill went up to 31 rather quickly with steady playing.

Add: It was fun and relaxing to fish. And the gains were often enough to make me feel like I was accomplishing something.

Time Lord, majoria70 and Montaigne like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh I know I loved the beginnings of fishing too. One thing that was really cool to me was that my different skills were going up like some focus stuff here and there. I loved that, it reminded me of UO and cutting trees and all the sudden strength would go up since of course you needed a bit of strength to use that axe, of course you would get a bit stronger at first. I think perhaps things could be raising faster in pre alpha so we can test out the system and perhaps when the game is launch things will move slower. I remember when playing UO I did not watch the skill raises that much because they were very slow, I just did my things, ran around hunted, crafted, had picnics and sometimes secret rendevous and then all the sudden a skill gain. Always a great thing;)

Time Lord, Montaigne and Epona like this.
  17. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

The only other that you may catch, that I am aware of, is an Ancient Ring that gives +1 to intelligence. This is the first ring available in game that I know of.

I do hope this is the start of other critters dropping other things than just a pitiful amount of Gold and weapons.....

Time Lord, Montaigne and licemeat like this.
  18. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Majoria70, thanks for the primer on how to fish. But, one detail, when I tried to put the fishing icon from the decks "Y" window it wouldnt drag, and I had to open the glyphs "L" window to drag it to the hot bar. But still, you did give enough information to finally make it work.

19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

You can also open the skill window (press K) and drag the icon from there, it doesn't need to be in your deck... The fishing circle is red if the water isn't deep enough to fish in...

Time Lord, Montaigne and Mata like this.
  20. Forest Dweller

Forest Dweller Avatar

Fishing up a rare jewel, bit of clothing, or other goodie would be hella fun and keep me busy casting all day. :D

I really wish games had the odd treasure, the odd reward, valuable or semi-valuable, that occurred as loot on corpses or the random artifact pulled from the sea. An occasional, unexpected treat would make the game sweeter and more loved. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.