Any other broke people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joseph Rose, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph Rose

Joseph Rose Avatar

I am just a simple little 45 dollar backer.

I currently am poor as hell, and just glad to be a part of this.

When I see the prices for stuff, (like was it 350 for a floating home?) I think maybe I don't belong here.

It seems every thread has people casually talking about how they just might drop another few hundred dollars...

I understand that the game can use the funding. Nothin is free.... but.... I worry the game is gathering only wealthy people, with massive expendable income.

Furthermore, the Items people are buying seem like more than a vanity item, or even a perk.

It seems like players who join at the base level, even if they do buy a house with in-game gold, will be struggling to pay taxes, or paying rent to one of the "upper class".....

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I assume, if I bring in a friend to try the game, and they see all the castles, and player owned towns, and whatever, they will be like "how can I get that stuff?" and when I tell them, "Oh, you cannot get that now" or "Oh, you would need to spend a thousand dollars" they're gonna be like, LOL peace out breh.

I dunno how it works, but I assume the whales are only one part of what a game needs to survive. I assume the game also needs TONS and TONS of base level players, who then possibly spend another 10 or 20 dollars in the add-on store when they can.

2. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

There are 2 things that viva players an edge.
    Prospect tools
    Expert level crafting tables.

Everything else is fluff and we can survive without and make due. These guys dropping 10k+ on the game are helping out immensely with development, but stop and look at what all they got.
    1 player owned town. Now they get the ability to own some real estate, which they need to decorate and police themselves, swallowing up massive amounts of time.
    2 decorations, stuff to manage and place... Nothing that gives a buff
    3 subpar equipment - unique looking but for vanity.
    4 loads more crap to manage.

So while they are busy playing a farmville/ Sims simulation, you and I will have nothing to do but slay beasts, get gold, hunt heads, and let these barons know that us little poo folk can still put a whooping on them there big house having ******s.

So don't get down and out, learn and enjoy. Try role-playing. You will be fine.

But if you do find 135 dollars spare, get them prospect tools!

monkeyrogue, Maeryck, Retlaw and 14 others like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I have played plenty of games over 30 years with too little money and too little time.

The best advice: Its about the personal journey day to day, not getting to the destination right away.

4. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Never forget that selling blood (and other bodily fluids) is a secret, underutilized and recurring source of revenue.

5. Verit

Verit Avatar

You will not need any of that stuff to enjoy the game. It sure is pretty though.:cool:

I wish more $45 pledges would speak up and help get rid of the perception that this game is only being played by people who are spending hundreds. I can understand that people who spent a lot want to show it off. I also understand that these people are very excited about the game and want to scream about it from the roof tops.

The downside is that they are scaring people away from the game. People see the prices on the shop and read the bragging. They feel like they will never be able to compete. The people with the castles will be doing the same quests and getting the same skills. In fact, having a house is not even necessary at all.

There are many "homeless" people who will enjoy this game just as much as those in their fancy abodes.

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi Joseph, well just because people spend money does not mean they are rich. Now a days that has nothing to do with it. Perhaps they put it on their chargecard and are deep in debt. That does not stop people from spending. I know that is not the case for everyone, but it is too difficult to tell something like that or assume that. I know for myself I am by no means wealthy. It took me 2 years to pay off my pledge on payments. That was a choice I personally made, perhaps I could have bought a car, or a new computer, tv, etc, but no I decided to buy this instead. Now talk about poor;) Ok and don't compare yourself to others it will ruin your fun in life. Remember things happen for a reason and we don't always know what that reason is. Instead of tell your friends the truth in a fun way, won't we have fun working towards that together. I didn't have a house for 2 years in Ultima Online and it never once stopped me from having a blast in the game. I then had to find other ways, like to transfer items between my characters I put them in a drawer in an inn and logged out hoping to get back in time. How about rentals, this game will have rentals. Remember quiet minds just enjoy. Let yourself figure out ways. Instead of worrying about what is, imagine what could be. Having a house robbed me of another journey I could have taken. I knew that when I purchased it, but I still did it. You are wonderful as you are, and don't need to compare yourself to anyone or feel inferior, that is all on you if you do that.:)
    edited

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. Joseph Rose

Joseph Rose Avatar

Well, I had a suggestion in another thread that I will repeat here.

____Copy Paste from my Other Thread_____

"So I'm not sure if this is already a plan, but I'll tell you what I would like to see.

It would be awesome, if me and a few real life friends, could play online together, in our own copy of the world.

With no PoTs, or other peoples houses.

All the plots would be available, and over time we could buy as many as we wanted.

Also we would form our own economy, because we would not see any items for sale from other players.

Anyone else think this sounds cool?

Is this in the works already?

Sort of a personal online experience.

Joseph Rose, Aug 29, 2015

Basically, I'm asking for a LAN style server with my friends only.

I was very surprised, not so much that someone said it was "unlikely", but that only ONE dude chimed in, and said he would like this too.

I think it would be the ideal way for a group of friends to purchase this game, and enjoy it sooooo much, without ever even being aware that anyone else even plays.

And this I think is the elephant in the room. The reason my thread got so little attention. Because if me and my friends could play in such a way, the "big spenders" would have less people to awe at their stuff.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I'm not saying its a bad thing. I've got an "alpha male" side to me. I'm surely known to talk loud at parties, and suck up more than my share of attention.

I think it is like common sense phycology what I bring up here, and I fully understand.

However If any dev is reading this, please think about a LAN style. It would be REALLY COOL!

I would personally start recruiting friends with a passion! Hell I might even buy it as a gift for a few people.

I truly believe it would be unique (because most people can't LAN on a regular basis) way of experiencing an MMO style game, Once word got out, about how groups of friends where starting their own epic worlds, it would catch on!

Oh and I thought you could charge 20 bucks a month for the feature.

Only to one person who was like the "leader" of that server could pay a data storage fee.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

There is an option on the login screen to play with friends only, not sure if its working yet but if not I am guessing it should be before the game is finished.

9. Eshmunen Trismegistus

Eshmunen Trismegistus Avatar

$45'r here! Cannot say i am particularly flush with $ atm but still having a blast in game. When i 1st looked at the item store i was like o_O dang pricey BUT as Enfo mentioned above ..

"So while they are busy playing a farmville/ Sims simulation, you and I will have nothing to do but slay beasts, get gold, hunt heads, and let these barons know that us little poor folk can still put a whooping on them there big house having ******s."

This was pretty much my thought on the subject. Also it is really awesome (imho) that some folk who have the $, have the option to support the games development. Once release rolls around hopefully there will be ways for everyone, regardless of $, to access things like expert crafting tables, ie; being a member of a guild that owns one etc.
    Don't let it get you down OP, we can always form a rogue thieves coalition of some sort and rob em blind! "STAND AND DELIVER RICH FOLK, YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIVES!" Some awesome RP opportunity's right there eh?

Peace <3 :)

10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

That type of online interaction is not planned to be available, sir. The moment you go online, whether single or multi-player, you share the world with everyone else.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  11. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Friends Only playing will be an option, its on the login screen but not sure if its available yet:

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Selective_Multiplayer_Online

12. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

I consider myself a "$45" backer. But I've spent several hundred on items that cannot be acquired in-game (vanity). Why? Because I enjoy playing games. So I could have actually purchased several houses, but I refused to do so. Why? Because I want the experience of actually getting in the game, meeting friends, gathering resources and then establishing a house or town. The add-on store deliberately circumvents this and for that reason I have never bothered to even look at any housing references in my initial $200+ pledge. I justify these pledges in that I sometimes view this game as "kind of a subscription MMO". I'll spend $200+ on EVE Online this year in sub fees. So I don't feel like I'm breaking my budget by doing the same for SOTA.

And what bothers me also is the instant reception of these items. Purchase a Lord British cloak? BAM! Check your backpack. Where is the spirit? Why doesn't the purchase allow exclusive access to meeting NPC Lord British to receive my cloak? Why doesn't purchasing the prosperity tool set simply allow me to craft an item with a unique texture that goes on the market and offers nothing else to players when I sell it other than a unique texture (as opposed to its current included bonuses).

Jivalax Azon and Kara Brae like this.
  13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Even friends only online will still share the world with everyone else. You just won't be able to directly interact with them. It won't be what Joseph is asking for, which is a private server for friends with no pots and all NPC land open for claiming.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

The prosperity tools do nothing yet but just do not need repair, as the expert workbenches. Both of these items can be had once the game goes live via ingame crafted upgrades.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

@Dean478 what Whyterose Flowers said and the stuff you can craft in game is suppose to be on the same level if not better than some of that stuff you can purchase. It's just not in game yet, I hear?:)

16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Even though you can craft them and get the bonus, they will need repair. It's for this reason that I believe the prosperity tools and crafting tables from pledge rewards are a step over the line. I know from my time in Darkfall how valuable indestructible crafting tools are. Truly if you could only buy one "thing" make it a prosperity tool that you know you'll use.

Logain and Jivalax Azon like this.
  17. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

The smaller the pledge, the bigger the sense of accomplishment. Most of what you can buy in the add-on store, you can earn in the game.

When I played UO, I never bought anything. I never cheated. And I really enjoyed earning (or in some cases stealing) everything I had.

This is an advantage that every smaller pledge has vs. every larger pledge.

I have a larger pledge and TBH I regret this aspect all the time.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

But even with prosperity tools, we will have higher level versions available in game, albeit they may not be indestructible.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yes, that's true. But pound for pound Sugar Ray Lenard was a better fighter than Buster Douglas.

Jivalax Azon and 4EverLost like this.
  20. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Well if Buster could repair himself mid-round as often as he'd like, Sugar Ray wouldn't stand a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.