Concerned about PVP? PVP Poll

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Kurupt, Jul 27, 2013.

?

How important is PVP to you in a game ?

1. Important

59.1%
  2. Not Important

40.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

I think it depends on the server, Fel on Chesakpeake had a ton of 'good' people who were perfectly fine with the old rules and you could chill and talk with. It really wasn't a constant battle as people make it out to be. All of my characters stayed in Fel and I never really had an issue chatting with people. It was like the Wild West, your very presence meant you knew what you were doing and there was a lot of mutual respect.

RelExpo likes this.
  2. Robby

Robby Avatar

Well said .

3. Robby

Robby Avatar

You'll be able to interact with those crafters in towns even if the pvp slider is up.

Père Fouettard likes this.
  4. Ugmar

Ugmar Avatar

Robby. I was under the impression (possibly mistaken) that my world will be populated by people who have the slider where I do. So if I keep it up in order to interact with the pvp/pk then I will not see the people who have it down, even when in town. If I am mistaken that removes a large level of my concern. I did enjoy meeting crafters in the wild who were harvesting components because it was a fun talking point, but I am willing to give that up considering the level of griefing they tended to get.

5. Erth

Erth Legend of the Hearth

Fantastic article, and well said. Still getting into the forums myself, but am already shocked by the amount of griefers and pkers out there.

AuroraWR likes this.
  6. Ugmar

Ugmar Avatar

To be fair there really is a huge difference between pkers and griefers. I honestly think that PKers added a huge element to the original UO game. Simply put the monsters in that game were not hard. Even with mediocre skills you could deal with some real ugly monsters. PKers added that element of danger to the game. They also allowed for an end game that simply was not overly present in UO at launch. Not to mention the possibilities of the Orkies (catskills) and other factions that required their players go "red" in order to allow for a more robust RP environment.

Griefers were terrible to the game and I can understand the desire to limit their ability to destory other peoples fun. That being said no matter what griefers exist in every game where people can interact with one another. If nothing else they will spam vulgar things in chat just to do it. The more direct interaction they can have with people the worse the griefing. The only time in my opinion that griefing gets truly out of control is when they can grief you and you can not respond. UO honestly had less issues with certain types of griefing than other games. If some one was being really mouthy, well remove the problem. If they were looting your kills, remove the problem. If they stole from you, remove the problem. This of course leads to a touch of might makes right, but the game was in a state *when I played anyway* that gear was not a huge factor and with a medium amount of time you could stand toe to toe with most people.

postulio and LORD CHAOS like this.
  7. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Avatar

Stan is such a hostile little PVE boy.

8. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

For me, regarding the importance of PvP:

- Non-consensual PvP: I will never take part in this, to the point I prefer to suicide rather than fight back. I'm unlikely to ever join any game mode where other players can force me to engage in PvP.
    - Consensual PvP: If I find the consensual PvP interesting and balanced I will likely take part. For SotA it's only unimportant because the PvE element of the game is already enough to hold justify what I've spent in the game, but in some games I play the consensual PvP is absolutely important for me to keep playing them.

9. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

Im very concerned about PVP also.(voted important) Why do most people who wish not to have "pvp" keep stating that "let thieves & PKs/PVPs" do it amongst themselves? Criminals will always target easier prey, otherwise thePVP/Thief/Protector of the peoples aspect in this game will probably become very boring when its just everyone knowing that everyone is well armed and pretty much eveready for a fight,etc. Please don't get me wrong, im not telling you how to play your game. I wasn't a fan of PVP in UO, but i accepted it. It added an immense feeling of truly venturing out into the world and of accomplishment when i defeated my enemies or safely collected crafting mats in the face of danger.

10. LORD CHAOS

LORD CHAOS Avatar

(PVP Concerned) Freedom/Survival doesn't come without a cost, sad but true to every living thing. I can't help but feel that PVP is getting penalized, whereas non PVPs should probably just learn to defend themselves howerever it may be. Maybe hire guards, travel smarter, etc. Possibly add in a lighter version of PVP for them where whomever wins the conflict doesn't get loot, instead you get meager victory points towards your thief guild/crafter guild or the like to spend. Then the lighter versioned PVPs can flag enemy so as not to be continually griefed/attacked. This way it unites all of us and there would be less for non PVPs to lose and not much to gain for full blown PVPs against the lighter PVPs.

11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

@Lord Chaos The problem with what you are suggesting was stated very succinctly elsewhere, I'll paraphrase. "The question isn't IF there will be a geographic separation between the PvP and non PvP areas of your game, but WHERE. If you make your game entirely PvP, the players will use the geographic region called 'not playing'" There are MANY potential players of SotA, who's presence and action in the game will make it a better, richer, more fulfilling world for everyone, who will LEAVE if forced to PvP. Making them hire guards is just another way of forcing PvP. A "lighter" form, while it might seem lesser to you, will likely still get quite a few hackles raised. If the game forces people to deal with PvP, and they really don't want to, they will deal with it by logging off.

We do NOT want that solution, as it depopulates the game world, and thus lessens every aspect OF that world. Including the motivation on LB's part to keep the game servers operational.

12. Krellian

Krellian Avatar

Forced PvP definitely added a thrill to the game but, once it became a business practice for trolls in the game it just plain sucked. Some reds just don't know how to be reds and pick their battles properly.

"Lets go to minoc and roll some newbs" - I've watched so many arse****s just kill miners and not even bother taking the ore, over, and over, and over.. The miners would just log out and stop playing. Not to mention all the res-killings, and patrols who would just recall between every newbie dungeon room and harvest little 1k prizes from 2nd week players.

At the same time, it was quite humorous getting PKed by this guy who gated a bunch of Lich Lords into covetous harpy room. I fell out of my chair laughing even as my character was getting owned.

13. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

I think the biggest thing running these PVP arguments is actually the dichotomy of reasons people play MMO games and people's different definitions of RPG.

1. Some people believe an RPG is any game with a plot. (Something that has been supported by video game makers as of late. Let's be honest, RPG used to mean in-depth plot with choices that effect the outcome of a game and often allowed multiple players to interact. Now, a game maker can label something as RPG so long as it has any plot and maybe a few cut scenes.)

2. Some people think a true RPG requires at least some CHOICE that influences the outcome of the game.

3. Some people (who many would call the "Hard Core" RPers) think of an RPG as being something completely character driven. <-- I admit, this is me.

People who look at RPG's like those in group 1 or 2 often, but not always, view the game as something to 'win'. They want to be the best, or defeat every monster, or overcome every challenge. That's fine. This is how they enjoy a game.

People who are like me, option 3, are in the mind set that it's not the end goal that's important but the journey. We create characters with their own unique goals (maybe they DO want to kill the Dragon, because their parents were killed by dragons), and we derive pleasure from playing these characters with others and enjoying in the unique interactions and plot that comes from two non-scripted characters. The endless possibilities of making new friends or finding your arch nemesis is fun. Personally, I'm fine with PVP if there's plot behind it. Sure, your a thief and you come along and rob me. That adds to the plot and realness of the world. That's fine. That's how we enjoy the game.

However some people don't enjoy that. They may be very non-confrontational in real life, or just have limited time to devote to the game and find that having to keep replacing resources instead of going onto other aspects of the game is frustrating. That's fine. That's how they enjoy the game.

None of these preferences are "right" or "wrong", they are just that... preferences.

Personally the part of PVP that bothers me are Griefers (noob hunters, etc.) and/or people who go around PVPing me without any just to take gear so they can get stronger, or because they are bored, or because they needed some coin and it was easier killing me than spending another 10 min finding a hoard of something PVE style. It has nothing to do with their character being a 'thief', but just it was the fastest and easiest way for them to win, or my character was a bigger challenge so more 'fun' than fighting the goblins. People who never RP or engage in conversation, which doesn't enrich my RP world, it just becomes frustrating for someone like me. That said, that may be how these people enjoys playing the game! It bothers me, but it's fun for them. Ok. Fine!

If I could guarantee that the PVP I encountered was all character based for good RP reasons, I'd opt for PVP. However, I can't guarantee that. This is an MMO that is not a closed small shard or community and that means I will be playing with people who enjoy different styles of RPG than I do. I don't want PVP to go away, because I want those people to enjoy the game. Maybe some of them will even try some RP! However, there are people who never want to worry about or risk being griefed or mobbed by a guild while they are gathering resources or crafting. I want those people to enjoy the game too! Maybe some of the strict pure RP only PVE people will one day take a chance on PVP. Maybe by RPing with some PVPers who took a chance on RP. Who knows?!

The main point is that it sounds like SoTA is going to cater to ALL preferences of gaming, and that as a community we should want EVERYONE to be able to enjoy the game. It's about options and enriching ALL of our gaming experiences by bringing in a DIVERSE group of gamers.

My 2 cents.

14. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Long winded, but well spoken AuroraWR. Your sentiments echo ones heard throughout these forums. Every time a new PVP thread pops up, the same arguments are raised by PVP or non-PVP fans who haven't read the older similar threads, and then someone like yourself is needed to step in and restate the answers that have been given a dozen times. I applaud that you took the time to spell things out, rather than just link an older identical thread (not that linking a prior thread is a bad option).

15. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

I do not care for PvP, but as far as I can understand, you will be able to choose in SotA, so that PVP'ers and non-PVP'ers alike can play the way they want. This is how it should be, in my mind. If you force PVP down non-PVP'ers throats, or say to the PVP'ers that they can't fight other player characters, well then you will force one of those groups (read: half of all players) to leave the game. Give everyone a choice, and noone should have reason to whine.

AuroraWR likes this.
  16. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I think AuroraWR explained it perfectly. Everyone has their own preferences. I'm a hard core RPer (#3) myself. As I mentioned in one of the previous threads, what turns me off to PvP is precisely what AuroraWR said:

Thankfully, with the slider option in SOTA, we won't have to worry about non-consensual PVP, which was a serious problem in Ultima Online pre-Trammel. The slider seems to be the best way to satisfy the needs of all of the various groups interested in playing SOTA, who would be matched up with like-minded players. Frankly, I don't see why we are still debating this...

Jambo and AuroraWR like this.
  17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I think it's cause there is a camp of PvPers who really don't like the idea that they can be switched off like an unwanted game feature. I kinda sympathize with them, but ultimately that choice is A) either they don't get what they want, or the players who don't feel like getting forcibly PvP'd don't get what THEY want, and B) already decided.

nightshadow and AuroraWR like this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

I know of just about no one on these forums, with the possible exception of InsaneMembrane, who still thinks non-consentual PvP is desirable, or even possible. If we had some, I think they've figured out that it isn't going to happen, and so have mellowed out, resigned themselves to the situation, or they have left. If we do still have some unrepentant gank promoters, who are they? I must have overlooked them.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Owain does have a point. There do seem to be far fewer members advocating non-consensual PvP these days since the slider option was put forth by the developers. I think most of them realize that it's not going to be like Ultima Online pre-Trammel. I'm still not quite sure why some of them are still pushing for separate PvE and PvP servers though...

Jambo likes this.
  20. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Think there is more than just him, Goblin king I think is still pushing for it (or at least pushing to wall so much of the game off that it makes no difference) and it keeps popping up often enough that there must be more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.