Idea for bed use in houses.

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Glopton, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glopton

Glopton Avatar

Hello everyone,

I had an idea that came to my mind about beds in houses.

I played a game called Tibia for many years (and still do) where you can own a house and everyone can see into it. The houses are only in towns where people actually pass your house either they want it or not because they where in middle of the towns where all the npc's, banks, shop ect where at. The advantage of housing was the endless store of items and one thing I really liked, the beds!

You clicked the bed when you wanted to log out and your character would lay down in the bed and you would sign off the game. While you where offline everyone could see that you where laying in the bed (clicking on you, because the animation was just a shape of human), and if you had more then one bed you could sometimes see that the owner had let others into their houses and they would also sleep there (which made you connect who was with who ect).

While you where sleeping you where regenerating some points that you used to make runes, runes that had magic on them so when you cast them you woulden't use alot of mana, perfect for hunting.

One of the best thing with this was that you would actually feel that it was a house, your house, because you would always want go back to your house and sign off in your bed. Making the house feel more like a base, a house ect.

I think that maybe this idea would be a good one for Shroud of the Avatar.

My thoughts of what this kind of feature would do is that you would get a greater feeling for your house. In RP perspective it's great, imagen beeing able to sleep next to your husband or wife!

I also believe it's important you make it worthwhile going back to your house to sign off in your bed, like a exp buff that gives you 30 min of more exp killing monsters starting when you hit the first monster or something like this. But obviously not a buff or other feature that is too strong forcing you to do this.

Please give some feedback on this idea and remember, its just an idea!

Best Regards
    Glopton

2. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Great idea assuming there's access to the buffs for non-homeowners (NPC or player inns, etc).

Another idea for the buff besides bonus xp; Maybe dreaming of those skills you're not using somewhat prevents their "decay"

3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Good idea and when you lie down in a bed in single player offline mode you can advance the time! :)

4. Womby

Womby Avatar

It's an interesting idea, but I fear that in offering people an incentive to log out by going to bed, you are further increasing the divide between the haves (those with housing) and the have nots. Perhaps Portalarium could sell a cheap bed roll that the homeless could unroll and use on non private land in NPC towns or PRTs. This would have the advantage of making any housing shortage clearly visible to all. :)

5. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I love that idea about the animation. Mortal vortex llamas sleeping are sooo cute!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    majoria70 likes this.
  6. Fyerwall

Fyerwall Avatar

Aside from Inns for non-homeowners, players could also have bedrolls/campfires.

7. Fyerwall

Fyerwall Avatar

Well, people who have homes in PoTs could always open an Inn for other players.

firegold likes this.
  8. Glopton

Glopton Avatar

In Tibia there where a limited amount of houses and this was one of the feature that came from the privilegium of having a house. Since the regeneration of skills to do runes was not overpowered to those who did not have a house it did not do such a big difference. If it did something it sure made people actually want to save money for their own house to have the same opportunity. I never in my 10+ years of playing Tibia seen it as something discriminating to those who did not have a house, more something awsome that I could witness in the houses and see that there was life in them!

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Campfires would be great and add a lot to the atmosphere. People sitting around a campfire, making some music, cooking and then using their bedrolls to sleep.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I love the idea of the OP. In FFXIV the animation was really cool and you did log off going to bed, not only , when you clicked on your bed you even got under the covers. A really cool animation. Housing was not yet in the game when I was playing so we logged out in an inn. I am anxious to get our ability to lay in our beds, which we are suppose to be able to do, perhaps a reminder is due ;) I also think clicking on a bedroll would suffice to log out of course a cool get under the covers could be there also. Anyway so Eating and drinking are in the game, perhaps sleeping is also in the horizons as necessary.:)

11. HokageFont

HokageFont Avatar

Should there be a time limit for how long you can stay in an inn, or campfire? If i dont log in for a week would my avatar be hogging up the bed? I love the idea tho, it would also make inns and taverns more alive. How about after a certain amount of hours your avatar logs out and disappears.

firegold and majoria70 like this.
  12. dracco

dracco Avatar

you have no idea how many times i doubled click on my bed to log out just to remember its just for show . if nothing else it should cut out whating 20 sec to leave and i love the idea to leave your characters form to show who lives there including your extra guys. think of a guild that has a castle with his guild mates beds . you can tell who is online and not just by who's beds empty . this would also be good for resting buffs

margaritte, Sara Dreygon and firegold like this.
  13. Beli

Beli Avatar

Where is @Budner? I am sure he has some input on this.:)

Budner and firegold like this.
  14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I always thought it would be awesome if when you sleep your character can have dreams or nightmares...perhaps some effect or object/thing could end up next to you when you awoke the next morning :eek:

majoria70 and Beli like this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I described a similar idea in my thread on camp scenes.

I don't think it should log you out, I think that's kind of gimmicky, and you should be able to log out any time, but if you'd double-click on a bed or bedroll or on a tent, you'd lie down on them, and as you lay down some things would regen quicker. They could even have a fatigue debuff that is undone quicker by sitting or laying down.

firegold and Beli like this.
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

In some of the Ultima games you had gypsy questions in your sleep when your character was ready to advance.

17. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Great idea.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Love the OP's idea but honestly I can think of MUCH better uses for beds. Not to mention several of the crafting stations.:eek:

"What do you make on this crafting table?"
    "Here we make whoopie."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  19. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I support this for one or two skills. Great idea!

20. sake888

sake888 Avatar

In UO, 99% of the time I logged out at an inn or house as it just felt like the proper thing for my avatar to do after adventuring. I am doing that in SotA as well and would like to be able to lie down on a bed just as I can sit on a chair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.