Variety of Enemies

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Galamar, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

I am an developer since well over 2 decades and i must tell you "YOU ARE WRONG !!!".

enderandrew and Katrina Bekers like this.
  2. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Well, my dear enemy.

You stated something ludicrously wrong, probably knowing exactly where it'd lead. Fine with me.

The burden of the proof is on you, and now don't hope to escape this easily from the flytrap you so happily thrown yourself into, with the "I knew that lol" card. Here we have some pro-level forum trolls and warriors and ANY word-twisting trick you can possibly imagine, has been written in the book by one of us.

So, with the right granted to me by the powers of the intarwebs, I can safely utter the closing incantation of the thread:

Pics or gtfo.

3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I prefer, "Assetz R EZ. Can haz assetz?"

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  4. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Didn't say you were an enemy. I meant in game. And I feel you two are taking this way too seriously. Like you have anything better to do than analyze everything? And yes indeed "I knew that lol" because guess what, I DID. I'm not trying any word-twisting tricks like wtf? Throwing myself in a flytrap? Burden of proof is on me? My god..

LOL you would prefer that...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Who opened this thread claiming that this "issue" is easily fixed, me or you?

Who's to prove the validity of this point, me or you?

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  6. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

I opened this thread saying how I was hoping for a much greater variety of enemies to fight IN GAME (not you). Now if you think that just adding more creatures to this game is going to be the most difficult thing ever then okay. I think they have greater things on their plate than putting in new monsters at the moment. I am just bringing this up as an major issue with the game which I love. I also realize they are adding new creatures but was just hoping for much more creatures other than the upcoming wisp and dragon.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LOL...hilarious...:)

8. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Galamar, I think you just struck a nerve with some people who truly know how difficult it is to add new and different creatures to a game with the "relatively easy" comment. Perhaps you can just agree that was a poor choice of words and we can all move on? I think you said that based on an uninformed impression of what it actually takes to do it.

Creating new creatures involves a lot more than just adding new art files to the code. You have animation (both the static walking around and general activities the mob is doing before you come upon them, as well as combat animations) and then you have differing looks within that mob type (armor/weapons) and then you have sounds to add in for each appropriate action, etc. The size of the creatures will vary, making the armor and weapons needing to be personalized for each type. And that's just the basics.

Then you have to create an AI for that particular mob and make them vary within that mob type based on whether it's an animal, humanoid, undead, caster, melee, archer, etc. Some will chase you down, others will try to run to range to fight you. So now that you have multiple weapon/armor setups for each new creature, you need to customize animations for each one. You also have to figure out the best set of skills/spells for each one too, based on the concept you are going for.

Now you have to figure out if you want this creature to be alone, be in a group, what size of a group, etc. And then you have to balance the combat stats of that creature based on whether it's intended to be fought by a solo person or a group or a raid force.

Bottom line... It's way more involved than simply drawing a new creature and adding it to the list of other images.

I think your point that the game needs different creatures is a valid one, but I also believe that is undoubtedly going to happen at some point before release. They just haven't gotten the main systems down yet to focus more efforts into adding new creatures.

They are slowly adding new creatures every release to mix things up a bit, but I think they are just concentrating more of their efforts to other things at this stage such as new scenes, combat system, instruments, crafting, etc.

Whyterose Flowers likes this.
  9. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

FFS of course its way more involved than simply drawing a new creature and adding it to the list of other images. I didn't say that. If people want to move on then they will and not keep this going by bringing up "pics or gtfo" or "escaping from flytraps" that I apparently threw myself in. I know I moved on already.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    firegold likes this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Which is why you continue to respond?
    :p

Katrina Bekers and Galamar like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

One of the best and still the best companion AI's I"ve ever seen was that of the dragon Arokh in Drakan : Order of the Flame. Arokh would track you while your character was moving around on foot, he'd flame any enemy that came too near and he's make snarky comments when you did something ridiculous. He definitely had a personality to the point that it was always a wrench when you died and he fell with you ( the bond between the dragonrider and the dragon was absolute).

Key enemy AI should be nearly as complex. Anime has it right, your adversary has many sides to him/her and it should never be a simple decision to take them out. A degree of sympathy with your opponent makes the fight meaningful & multidimensional.

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Numa
    We already have the feel sorry factor in R23. The fauns and the Satyrs, how will you deal with them? And will you find out the truth of their relationship?

I hope that is a good emotion coaster with a twist.
    Although in anime RPG such stories are usually told in mini movies in the games. Something which SotA cannot afford.

Miracle Dragon and Numa like this.
  13. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

The world of WoW is freakin' ridiculous. Like there's so many monsters and creatures between every town, village, and city that you wonder how exactly the world of Azeroth is able to function.

I want a greater variety than what is currently in SoTA but not to the ridiculous degree that is WoW but I'd also like: a lot of creatures who don't attack me on site. There should be more enemies out there who are neutral until you attack them. I also want the world to be dangerous but not so dangerous that I wonder how the world functions if outlanders from other another world with superpowers didn't come in.

14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Maybe because is a fantastic world. :p

I think WOW have the number of creatures that must have, since is a basically combat (and pvm) game. Here will be less important, but we already have tons of "free of monsters" places. I am sure that will be time we will have more variety (that is a fact actually), but anyway maybe they should work in the respawn time when the map is full of players.

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

As for variety, they've already created dynamic spawning systems, so it will be easier to 'change it up' in a variety of ways, from different positions around a zone, to different situations appearing in a same scene when you enter from time-to-time.

When more assets are created, they do have plans to make different types regional to different areas. Kobolds, for instance, will be primarily in the NW of Novia, etc. Giants have hill/mountain/dungeon varieties, wolves now have coyote counterparts and so on.

I'm more looking forward to non-combat NPC's getting more unique and regionalized.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The dynamic spawning seems to be working. I like how that is going.

Also appreciating improving creating AI - as with wolves, for example, who retreat on being wounded, then return to fight later.

I'm hoping the fauns vs. satyrs type of scenarios continue with some other creature types as well.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.