Variety of Enemies

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Galamar, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Here's to hoping there will be a much greater variety in the enemies we fight in the game. I don't want to keep fighting the same skeletons, zombies, and spiders in every area and dungeon in the game. In fact, I believe that there should be different enemies in every single dungeon and area in the game. In WOW for example, you couldn't go two feet without seeing a different enemy in the game. There were enemies and creatures specific to each area and dungeon that you wouldn't see anywhere else or in only few places in the game. This issue is something easily fixed as all that needs to be done is adding new assets to the game, but it is VERY important. It just feels so shallow fighting the same things in every single area of the game, it makes no sense.

Andaluz, Numa and NaomiLin like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Release notes for upcoming releases have mentioned new enemies.

We've seen an increase in different human mobs, scorpions, Troll, Phoenix, elementals, etc.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes it does sometimes get tedius. Each release there is a post by Darkstarr listing what creatures are being added to the game. There are some creatures that are not coming in due to lore and the Tracy Hickman story in the game. I also don't like the AI for the creatures just standing around to attack you. I know they are adding AI all the time also where the creatures move around attack other creatures etc and I know there will be much more coming in on that also. So good feedback and expect more.;)

himmelweiss, NaomiLin and Galamar like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I also noticed a camping scene one of the Devs was working on, and I thought it would be very awesome to come upon a scene where a creature was doing day to day things, like collecting resources and adding then to a pot that was on a cooking fire. So they would not just be standing around waiting for you to attack you, but perhaps they were disturbed and protective of their campsite and supplies and watched for danger, or perhaps they would even wait to allow you other options than fight which I would love to see happen, choices;)

5. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

What do you mean by this?

Fantastic idea!

6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

I don't even...

himmelweiss and fantalio like this.
  7. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

How much cant could a white girl cant, if a white girl just couldn't even?

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I just meant that some creatures may not be in the game as hinted by Devs such as the following comment from Lum in this thread ;) I am with you on having an interesting array of creatures. They are coming in pretty steadily now. Wisps have been mentioned.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/i-want-to-be-an-orc.39117/#post-443532

also we get this type of document before each release. The next one will be Oct 29th for release 23 so watch for the creatures coming in from that. I always look forward to it and read every word, usually twice;)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-22-instructions.37891/

Galamar likes this.
  9. Katrina Bekers

enderandrew likes this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Don't forget ... the ... dreaded .... Corpion!

firegold and Mata like this.
  11. enderandrew

I'm still curious if this was just a R22 joke playing on the Hangout or if the name Corpion will stick around.

firegold likes this.
  12. firegold

firegold Avatar

Corpion brings to mind an undead version of the normal scorpion. Would be a neat little thing if they included it.

13. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Just for clarification, her comment was derived from your apparent lack of familiarity with the effort required to create such assets, per your "easily fixed" comment.

14. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

We should play different WOWs. :p

But of course I agree, we need more variety, but I think we will have it.

firegold likes this.
  15. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Just for clarification, assets are relatively easy and does not require nearly as much effort as say, converting the entire skill system to use based. If you really believe that developing assets is "difficult" rather than the base game and systems, you are very wrong. Its much easier to develop new assets and models rather than creating the systems that run it underneath. I am not saying it is super easy, I am saying it is relatively easy compared to everything else in game development. :) If you follow the development of the latest Unreal Tournament for example, They are still developing the systems, movement, and performance, yet they have already finished the concept art, modeling, and meshing, most of the weapons and a few characters and maps within a few months because it is relatively EASIER compared to the rest of game development.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  16. Katrina Bekers

Just for clarification, can I take a peek at your portfolio of finished and published games, so I can correctly evaluate your expertise in the field?

Are you a developer at Epic?

Thanks for any info you provide as backup for your interesting words.

Oh, the skill system was overhauled by a single guy: Chris Spears. The assets are being developed by a team of seven people. Just sayin'.

17. firegold

firegold Avatar

Actually I believe assets are difficult to create and the Systems behind them are also difficult. It's not my say because one thing may be more difficult for me to create than someone else. Assets and systems can both be manipulated faster than it takes to create them though, if that's what you meant. (Color schemes of assets or changing of variables in code)

himmelweiss likes this.
  18. enderandrew

I would invite you to make a single monster asset.

Create a quality rigged 3D model, texture, animations and sound effects.

19. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Well, since the systems are still being built, you just invalidated this entire thread. With only a few folks on building "relatively easy" assets, there are plenty of other assets to build that are higher priority at the moment.

20. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

I was waiting until this was brought up lol :) It is inevitable when you run out of arguments to just go ahead and say, "Well you go ahead and do it! :p Booo hooo!!! :p" Anyways thanks for the input. This thread was just about wanting new enemies to fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.