Placing things in people's pockets

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by redfish, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

The reverse of pickpocketing. Will we have this?

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Oh. I like this.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I already sneak stuff into public caches, but not everyone has one.

4. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

This goes against everything Captain Jack stands for! But if it gets us the mechanics for.... Gentle removal of items from other people's pockets... Captain Jack can support.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

~pickpockets CaptainJackSparrow's bottle of rum and places it in Alley Oop's pocket~

majoria70, margaritte and Alley Oop like this.
  6. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack wouldn't drink that mate...

*takes out his real bottle of rum and takes a hit*

7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Hmmm... I can see some advantages to this... but I can also see issues. I'll play devil's advocate against it here:

1.) Picture a PVP fight where a non-combatant slips something into your pack making you overweight with a movement penalty. *ouch*
    2.) One of the big complaints I often saw in UO was in-game advertising with certain guilds basically spamming the shard with tons of books dumped all over the ground at gates and banks... I certainly don't want to have to regularly have to clean out my backpack with trash like that.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Tazar,

Yea, you're right, although I would assume that pick pockets would have a higher chance success rate with light items with heavy items, and this would be the case in reverse, too.

The spam issue is something I thought about, though its worth noting that pick pockets is at the far end of the skill tree, and probably only works in PvP against other players.

I think everything else considered, probably the biggest thing working against this idea is there might not be a suitable game mechanic. Pick pocketing in SotA won't use the snooping system we saw in UO, and it would probably be a waste of time to put an extra skill on the tree for placing things in people's pockets.

So, I don't know :D I just thought it was a fun idea to bring up.

Miracle Dragon, royalsexy and Tazar like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    *Sneaks up and puts an explode pot in your pocket.....*

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

~sneaks up and takes the horcrux out of Ravicus' pocket and replaces it with a useless stone that looks exactly the same~

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack has just heard a rumor that actual pick pocketing could be coming to a game near us very soon!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  12. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

"Are you happy to see me, or you have an exploded pot in your pocket?"

13. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

Actually this could use pretty much the same game mechanic than pickpocketing (is it not 'almost' the same thing?), making it straightforward to implement.

14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Leading to:

"Is that a loaf of bread in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"
    "Actually, this IS a loaf of bread in my pocket, and I am happy to see you, but how did this loaf get into my pocket?"
    *looks puzzled and eats bread*

15. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think the thought is intriguing enough to explore.. placing some form of tracker.. or poisoned food could be interesting. Maybe we could have archers able to shoot special 'arrows' that can go into their target's inventory? Hmm...

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  16. Lord Essex

Lord Essex Avatar

I was thinking the same thing.. & I can think of one group in particular that I would expect to use this tactic..

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I don't see this necessarily as a huge problem.
    If we apply the dev statement for thief/pickpocket - and apply that to anti-thief/putpocket, then it says that both parties need to be flagged PvP, that the would be anti-thief/putpocket need to be camoflaged, and if it fails the putpocket is temporarily stunned and now visible. Then Chris said if you manage to target someone in camo they will be become visible So...

1 - in the pvp fight, if someone manages to stay in camo, get close enough, and "hit" the target. Then they deserve to put something heavy and slow you down, they could have equally well done a "sap" and you'd be stunned etc. While if they fail they will be in the middle of the fight anyway and stunned.
    2 - the WeWillAddWhoever guild cannot target new folks since those are not flagged. If they target open PvP players and put adds in their pocket, then they are taking a big risk since if they fail, the target will assume they are being under attack and will act accordingly. With the added bonus that for once I get to kill the person trying to pester me with adds.

Now can this be used for mini-griefing and pranks etc?
    Of course... that's what makes the idea fun.
    If they had me at such an disadvantage, then I'd rather be carrying too many pamphlets than being killed repeatedly.

My 2c.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Just curious @redfish, what objects were you thinking of placing on others that made you come up with this idea?

If we get skills that allow us to pickpocket an item, then I don't see why that person wouldn't also have the skill to place something on a person too. So I think the idea is a good one to suggest or ask for and I would think the mechanics wouldn't be too hard to implement.

I can only think of a few good reasons why it would be practical though:
    1. Overload someone with granite blocks (or something else heavy) - Easily countered with right-click and destroy item, but not until they realize what happened.
    2. Drop advertisements in their bags - @Spoon explained this well enough
    3. Give strange objects as a gag to make people go WTH? - Could be fun I suppose, but is this worth putting skill points into?
    If PVP Flag needs to be enabled by both parties, then I can't even see the last 2 options being a legitimate reason either. So I'd really like to know what you would use this skill for redfish. :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  19. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

1. Tracking device.
    2. Targeting device, keeping the player from 'disappearing' from the other player's view.
    3. Poisoned food/poisoned health/focus potions. (requiring a skill check to recognize it's not the real thing)
    4. Even exchange. It's easier to tell something was pick-pocketed if one second it's there, the next it's not, but if something of equivalent size & weight was put in its place, you might not notice the theft until much later.
    5. An item that acts as 'monster bait', attracting monsters to target that person first. Could have a variety of baits that work for different kinds of monsters.
    6. radio receiver. You turn this on and plant it on a person, then later you speak from the other end, and they hear you, but don't know why because they can't see you. This could be beneficial to talk with someone behind enemy lines.
    7. Trading in general could be performed in this method among thieves, as a part of their initiation to the guild.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.