2 years and waiting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GingerLee, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah.. The one I want to know about is guild castles.. I'm not sure I see how they will pull that off at the moment.

2. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

1: I'm not going to respond with all the original kickstarter goals and detail how short each one falls this far after their estimated delivery in this thread, as it would be off topic and derail the thread. Nor will I detail every extra feature conceived of after ks here for the same reason.

2: I am currently hunting and am nowhere near a computer nor will I be until the end of the week. I'm not going to fumble on a cell phone to create a new thread.

Once I am home and when I find time between work I will be more than happy to go through the ks goals point by point highlighting the shortcomings of each over 2 years down the line. I will also highlight each extra feature that has distracted from delivering the game outlined in ks, as well as toss in a few other of my personal disappointments.

I look forward to it. Till then I'm going to let it drop. My post at the end of this week or beginning of next will be a brand new thread because I absolutely refuse to derail this unrelated and valid seperate thread.

Ravicus Domdred and Ronan like this.
  3. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

You sir, deserve a beer and probably a medal.

I don't know where you are, how much beer costs there, but one day our paths will cross and I will buy you a beer. :-D

4. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

To be honest, when you tell me about an RPG be it online or offline and take into the account that it is an Ultima successor(also offline or online) then my brain automatically accepts that there would be horses.

This is the thing that I learned about a Kickstarter and will always remember. If it isn't produced on typeface and attached to a stretch goal it is very fluid. The very guts of the game have been worked out by the Devs without a lot of input from us, and that is not bad but there is nothing at all that says they would produce mounts. The stretch goals make things bit more obvious in what needs to be done. I feel that is backwards and that Kickstarter stretch goals are actually being used incorrectly(by everyone on kickstarter) because it isn't really what a stretch goal is. Believe me though I wish I could charge my clients for stretch goals!

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

If one week is all that it takes to get a simple answer (shorter than the one I'm replying, btw), be my guest.

I'm never tired of waiting for deliverables.

*ba-dum tsssh*

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  6. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Question:
    When will the Jabbering Bertha and Sojourner Tales promotional items be in game?

Has anyone heard?

7. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

I'm out of town so at least I have an actual excuse :)

Tho that's not fair, maybe they have been out of town for 2 years.

*ba-dum tsssh*?

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I just want to say that I do not mean to offend anyone. I know many of you guys like the MMO style of gaming. I try not to impede that at all. I just want people to understand the reason I play is to get away from real life. Sure I can role play myself, but when I do it will be in the form of a lich, but it will be me and my virtues in the lich. I do not need to play an avatar from earth to find my virtues. So it may appear that I am upset and distant towards people its not because I do not like you guys, its because I need to find more people that will role play in character. Its really hard for me personally to just hang around people in game talking like I would talk t the person next to me in the bar. Its not what I want. I support the patreon for avatars radio. I support the patreon for wrathphoenix. I do this because I think these people are great individuals, even if its something I do not agree with in game. They do a great service for the people that do like this, and I am all for promoting the game. Another reason why I do not play a bunch is because this is a testing period. Most of you guys have tons of computer experience and when you guys talk on teamspeak or in chat in game about stuff, I just draw a blank and wonder why I am here. I need more role players, not more real life friends. Hopefully after I find more role players then I can find more real life friends who understand that in my game that I want to play, its not about coding, statistics, macroing, politics or what ever.

Numa, Cordelayne, 4EverLost and 6 others like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Duke Custom Avatar Heads?

Lord Blake Blackstone likes this.
  10. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

Feel the same way Rav. I play the game to get away. Blake Blackstone is an arrogant, secretive, *******; possibly with a harem. That's not me irl. If I wanted to play myself I'd go to a bar and shoot darts with some friends. Pretty much agree with you on all points.

Anyway, possible derail. Where are the guild castles?

Sir_Hemlock and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Duke basements? Mage robes? :p

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I love looking at comments out side of this Forum. ( even outside of Steam and SU)

I have learned that Fan Sites, Haters Sites and Official Forums are not the best place to get a good judgement about how the game is received in the market.
    I read all of them always to keep a neutral view.

I love looking for "how much" is reported and written about the game - excluding Community Content.

And all i can say is:

The "when it is released" is not the hot topic.
    It might be one soon ( looking at DayZ)

SotA is not really grabbing attention Outside.
    If i read Comments they do not talk about when it is released.

The Comments are "after 2 years" still talking about "graphic" and "graphic" and more about "graphic".

They talk mainly about the insane house prices not understanding it.
    And they call this game a "Cash Grab"
    and a expensive game.
    The 45 Dollar price tag is a subject of discussion often.
    And then the favorite subject is of course always: Richard and what all think he is capable off and his reputation.
    And if this is UO2 or a single player game and still confused about it.

I am always happy if i find positive talking outside of this Community Site or our Fan Sites or Steam.

My recommendation:

The SotA Homepage needs to be redesigned.
    It needs to eliminate the missunderstanding of the purpose of pledging. NeW Customers miss understand it.

The new customers do not understand that it is created to "Fund" the game.
    They think it is required to enjoy the game.

The Community always has to explain other new players over and over again that the Add On Store is also not a requirement to enjoy the game to new customers. We have to over and over again explain that these items are also optainable ( most) and craftable with different skin in game.
    We have to over and over explain new players that you can get houses in game . But only basic ones.
    We need to over and over again explain that it is not P2W.
    The amount of questions new players have to understand the business model of the game is insane.
    I am not talking "game function"

We should not have too!

The Homepage should be selfexplaining.

But it sends the wrong message.

How about telling that on the homepage that the Add On Store is a way to fund and support. Not a game enjoyment requirement. And giving all the items that are both ingame and add on store Available a different background color compared to only Add On Store Items.

All Items with Green Background.

This would be then a better message.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  13. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I like the trinkets. I've got both the coins from Relics by Rild, and I wish the Collector's Coin was still available.
    Thanks for making them! (-:

Ronan, Dame Lori and Sir Frank like this.
  14. Katrina Bekers

You're 101% right in everything you wrote in this post. Couldn't agree more. Trying to explain all the same stuff over and over again on Steam is simply painful, and often gets the best of my patience.

My concern is that this misunderstanding affects also a generous amount of old players.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Steam has a lot of casual players. The type who flit from game to game in a span of weeks. There are also the ideologues who bristle at the mere suspicion of pay2win.

The latter are believers in free2play as the ideal game model. Ironically, it is this very same model that gave birth to a lot of pay2win schemes.

Neither are the ideal audience for SOTA. Just link to a thread here for those intent in joining the game. Experiencing what the community is like is half the battle won. And the pay2win zealots won't follow. They have no interest in SOTA whatsoever as a game, only as a platform for debates on their favorite subject.

And just to make it clear, if you're already in these forums arguing pay2win then you obviously don't belong to that group. n

16. Katrina Bekers

Been there, done that - unfortunately.

But even truer is "Steam has a lot of players".

This game won't be paid with $350 airships alone... Catering to a decent share of those casuals, while not the core goal of a niche product like SotA, is indeed a great attraction point. But some perception *has* to change, and the only ones ultimately able to do so, are the PR guys in the dev team. As Myrcello said, a good starting point is dissipating doubts and misunderstandings by explaining them in or near the homepage.

Casual gamers attention span is volatile at best, and while *I* love to read every post of a 20-pages thread, I'm pretty sure there are not too many like me out there, in the vast fields of eyeballs that someone in Austin ought to reap and harvest...

TheMadHermit, Numa and Myrcello like this.
  17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Sure, it's frustrating that the release date has come and gone.. but I'd rather the devs take their time and get it right then rush out an unfinished game. They only have one chance to get it right. If they get it wrong with Episode 1, there most likely won't be an Episode 2.

18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I would have to agree with those that say it's a bit of pay to win when it comes to lot deeds. The pledge levels that give rent free deeds and rent free vendors is a pay to win advantage when comparing it to how people could get lots after lot selection. Assuming Portalarium goes with one of the first two choices mentioned in the Kickstarter campaign. First they'd have to be lucky enough to win the deed from the lottery or auction, where as pledgers with rent free deed don't have to go through the hassle of that and don't ever have to pay rent, we paid for that advantage. Or option number two, buy a very expensive non-rent free deed from the add-on store, which is limited in supply.

I'm not saying this is how it is, but from the description of the first two choices, you may not be able to buy deeds from a vendor, just hope to win the auction or lottery for a deed. I know myself, the reason we pledged so high was to get the lot deed size we wanted, even though I feel the pledge prices are a bit outrageous, we did it 4 times to ensure everyone in my family would have a rent free deed of our lot size choice and be able to place during lot selection and not have to worry about trying to get a lot the way people will have to once the game is released. We paid to win sort of for the deeds with our pledges. To be clear I'm not complaining, I'm glad we spent the money to ensure rent free deeds and the lot selection. I'm just saying I could see those people's point when they see it as pay to win in some aspects for Sota.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/434752

So what happens if you don't get a property deed during the crowd-funding phase? There will still be some property deeds made available after the game goes live. We are currently looking at what the most fair method of distribution will be. The three main options currently being considered are:

• Put a deed up per week per area with an opening for a 1 week auction using in game currency. This would obviously be VERY competitive!
    • Lottery system. Tickets are sold for a week and then we hold a random drawing to give away a few property deeds. This will ensure that more people have a chance and makes it more exciting for the masses but could frustrate some players.
    • Land Rush! We would set a very high but fixed in game price for deeds and let people race to get them. This could be too rewarding for the earliest adopters and also could result in some negative side effects like organized groups or farmers working together to buy property deeds purely for resale reasons.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Numa likes this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

If you're looking at the demographic who plays f2p, then yeah... otherwise I'd argue that most who are against p2w would rather pay a fixed price for a game (and, to my knowledge, most do).

I'm referring to the age 20+ demographic, I have no idea how the younger crowd feels.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.