1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I would just like to insist that there was a vocal minority raising concerns lateron substantiated (some of them mentioned already in this thread) already when POTs were first introduced. The same is true for an eerie number of things lateron changed as well =P

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I am just a little shy of 100 games on steam and I never bought a game (and rarely even spent 30 seconds looking at a game) in "mixed" territory (unless it came in a package). This isn't cause there are no good games that are mixed: There is just always a game rated much better that I also like. I am sure I am not an exception here. This announcement will not curb the many negative reviews, it will lead to more, as it sets everything up for people's expectations to be (further) disappointed.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Interesting, so if someone just popped onto the forums and made stuff up, you'd be in favor of people using that information to make a buying decision?

Does this assume that the truth is not being spoken or that the truth is unable to be spoken? Or both?

I find that some people like to create a narrative and then agree with themselves on that narrative, and then call that the truth. It's really interesting to see people do this.

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I appreciate all these opinions. I have always been in awe of the claim of combining a single player offline game with a MMO, much less single player online and friends online in the same content. I don't know of any other game in history that has tried to be so much at one time. :) To me, just being a great MMO is beyond Indy.

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Sadly I was not there for the Kickstarter :(, but I am assuming this was the initial video that was on there. It certainly seems like this was always going to be an MMO w/ single player capabilities.

6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I agree, although not there for the Kickstarter every early video I have seen where LB is "pitching" the idea he mentions this. Here are some of the examples:

7. Svahn

Svahn Avatar

Somewhere in the last 6 pages or so a question popped up asking why people find it possibly bad that the final wipe is done potentially a couple of months before the game leaves Early Access and thus before its real release.
    My own answer to that is that I feel it would be more fair and equal for everyone if everyone is beginning from scratch experience-, money- and storywise on the real releaseday.
    Final wipe and land lot placement are entirely separate things in my view.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I recently sold an oud which I have had for years. It is a wonderful instrument because it is not fretted. However, because it is not fretted, the tones are not rigidly aligned to scales. People that do not have a true ear for music are equally as likely to hate it than love it. My brother would always say it was out of tune. To me, that variety of tone was the point.

Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  9. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

This has been explored more lately and I figured it was a shift in the industry from straight up mmos to a more user controlled environment. Games like Elite offer sandbox open-mp, friends only and sp-online. Star Citizen is about as feature-creep as you can get and the development cycle reflects that. SC promised Squadron 42 campaign, a persistent universe (mmo-like) and the ability to host your own mod-capable, dedicated servers. I love the concept of giving players multiple ways to enjoy the same game. Sometimes I love to play with people in an mmo and other times, they get on my nerves and I want to play by myself without having to respond to people period. The choice of when and to what degree I can be social is a powerful tool for the player. Then you have games like some other UO guys making Shards which will give you a toolset to be more creative like NWN. I like where SoTA and these other games are going.

Katrina Bekers, 4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

@Draconin, I have so many friends in Star Citizen, but i cannot bring myself to go for it. Mostly because I am not into space games, but secondly because I have a budget which is already busted by multiple games including this one. Just this week I had a friend trying to sway me over. ;)

Cordelayne, Ice Queen and Draconin like this.
  11. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

LB actually says "join me in this world" . Doesnt sound very single player.

12. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I personally think this final wipe "sorta soft launch but not really a launch just ongoing development" thing is a really bad idea but it has clearly already been decided. From what I understand it was already debated to death on the dev+ forums so it's not like any of my input matters which is why I haven't commented much.

I understand a lot of the issues people have here and I share many of the concerns as well as several others. I'll be sticking with the game - we'll see how it all works out. I hope for the best but I'm prepared for the worst. =P

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

LB described the game at Kickstarter very much as feeling like a single-player Ultima but with the multi-player components -- housing, meeting players, forming parties, selective multiplayer, consensual PvP, control points.

But the point is that the "feeling like a single-player Ultima" isn't really clicking for a lot of people.

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Okay, I'm reopening the thread now. I've had to remove pretty much all the past two pages so let's have a do-over. We're going full on Life Is Strange.

I'm going to say one last thing here: the more you guys argue with each other, the more likely threads will get shut down and warnings handed out and I/we hate doing that. Everyone has an opinion on how things should be done on pretty much every aspect of the game and that's fantastic. Multiple opinions builds depth and brings new ideas to the table. We can still disagree with them in a civil manner and then leave it at that without throwing wood on the hot coals. The players don't make the final decisions after all and the devs are fully aware and seeing everyone's opinions without people feeling the need to fight for their opinion so that they make sure they are heard. That is what is getting these threads locked more often than not. Opinions are very welcome and encouraged:

but they need to be done in good spirits and understanding that regardless of which direction decisions go in, we need to respect each other and be respectful in the way we communicate our ideas and opinions. We are a community, after all. :)

Acred, Cordelayne, KuBaTRiZeS and 4 others like this.
  15. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

I kind of wish there was a poll on this topic. I'm curious what the gut response would be...

Logain and Alexander like this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I was thinking, some things that are listed for after should be before....like roaming encounters....thinking of making a thread on that.

Logain, Alexander and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  17. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Well I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind what is pre wipe and what is post wipe is what systems can't we implement and change that require a wipe or not to do so without unbalancing things. From that perspective I can see why something like roaming encounters would be after the final wipe, because a wipe isn't needed for them... It's just sad for those of us waiting for those features and think they are important to making the game feel more vibrant, alive and fun. If the final wipe when the game was complete it wouldn't matter... Personaly my thinking is they should just get in features they may need multiple attempts at for the April wipe (maybe move it forward if possible)... Then just not have another wipe until the month before official launch. So everyone can dig in and really get into the Beta over the next year and then in that last month wipe relentlessly leading up to launch to nut out anything they are still having a problem with. I would honestly expect a better overall outcome for everyone that way. But I guess you can only hear "gimmie gimmie! No! Gimmie NOAW!" for so long before you feel inclined to compromise.

Edit because I didn't want to double post:
    @DarkStarr with the land rush coming up I've been wondering what houses will be available for players who haven't bought a house via the addon store of got one via a pledge, but want to buy property with in game gold? I know row lots usually come with default houses but there are a lot of village and up lots gold grinding players need architecture for. What's the plan for that? Run down reskins of the addon store houses or new generic ones? (sorry if this has been answered elsewhere an I missed it, I'm going off the OP in this thread as the current valid information)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  18. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

As am I, but there are several people with multiple non-Dev+ accounts here so it'd be too easy to fudge results. :/

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  19. Draconin

Draconin Avatar

They should do away with this silly lot selection process and just do it Joseph style. :D

[​IMG]

*Edit* And by that I mean server wide pvp enabled so we can kill eachother while trying to claim lots. Now that would be fun and make things interesting!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    fantalio, Solazur, mike11 and 7 others like this.
  20. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

After the wipe:
    Will the dev team still be able to improve the character animations and movement?, And the character creation because it does not give us much flexibility to look unique, for me it's the part of the game thats letting the side down as the Level building has really picked up a pace, even if framerates are poor in areas.

Duchess Fionwyn and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.