Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

NPC Naming

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by rune_74, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really like that you don't know a NPC names until you ask them, but there is a problem with the current way it works.

Cloth seller becomes issabella....with no indication she is a cloth seller. Why do I know she is a cloth seller before I ask her name and somehow forget that she is afterwords?

I think that you need to either let us know after getting name(under their name) Or just have villager for their name.

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My long lost sister has been seen by some in the game. We have been separated so long. I hope I can find her someday.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I guess it depends on the context. If she's right in front of a cart selling cloth, you know she's a cloth seller. That doesn't help much if they're off schedule, though.

I'm hoping in the future NPC merchants will have more specialized clothing which gives you a better clue to their profession, though. And then players could apply the same clothing to their vendors so they're no longer just generic looking merchants, but blacksmiths, tailors, etc..

Btw, @rune_74 , I'm wondering if you've seen my thread on vendor names,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/vendor-names.43843/

Tahru likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, come to think of it, on duty/off duty outfits would probably also make sense. When a blacksmith goes off duty, he no longer wears his smithing apron, etc.

And if the NPC is unknown to you, the title the game gives you can depend on the context and what he's wearing. At his shop with the smithing apron, its "Blacksmith". Off duty, in the tavern, its something like "Villager". When you know him personally by name it would have the proper title. Like "Bob the Blacksmith."

"Villager" really should depend on when he's in a village though, shouldn't it? Citizen? Townsperson? Burgher? etc? I don't know... whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.