Some Game Quirks that Need Addressed

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Quindorrian, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Hi All. I have been a pledger and follower of this game for quite some time, but figured it best to get my two cents in before it is too late. This is my 1st post to these forums. I don't mean it to be negative in any way, but it is more intended to air out my concerns and have them addressed - if possible.

I am playing on Mac OS X and I've noticed that the selectable resolutions for the game are very limited. Additionally, there aren't many choices regarding the resolution department. This is pretty frustrating and makes the game not quite look as good as it could. Will this be addressed in the final game release? Very few Macs these days have such a low resolution as 1600X900 (Which is an odd resolution to begin with), and this is the highest it will allow me to select.

Regarding key bindings on Mac OS X, I am unable to change my key bindings. Also, I am noticing there is no "turn left", "turn right" options. "Move left" and "move right" are more synonymous with strafing, which are the only options I am seeing in the controls. I prefer the controls to be like other MMO's where my "A" and "D" keys turn left and right and my right click button allows me to strafe when I hold it. I know this seems minor, but it is pretty close to game breaking for me not to be able to customize this. Blame over a decade of playing MMO's.

Last but not least, I know this is Alpha, but why doesn't it save my characters? Do characters get deleted once per week or something? This is a little disconcerting. I'd assumed people playing Alpha would have something to carry over in final release. Perhaps this would be too unfair of an advantage when the final release hits?

This is all I can think of for now. Otherwise, I really like the look and feel of the game. The music is absolutely beautiful and really adds to the experience. Thanks for listening!

2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome Quindorrian!

Leelu, Ice Queen and Quindorrian like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Not sure about the Mac OS X part, I'll let others with more experience answer your questions.

As for character deletion, we just had a wipe yesterday as part of release 26. There will be another wipe on release 29 and then release 32 (that should be the last one).

This update page should keep you up to date on the status of the game https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385

Quindorrian and Duke Raas like this.
  4. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Are you perhaps referring to the "Rotate Left" and "Rotate Right" commands assigned to "Q" and "E" by default ?

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

6. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Thanks, but 1600 X 900 is not 1/2 the resolution of a 5k retina display, nor is it listed as a resolution in the anandtech article. Just a really weird resolution. The game would probably run a little better for me at a higher resolution (something I've noticed with most games, oddly enough is that 2k resolution seems to give me the best performance). Should just give a lot more options for other resolutions like most modern games do (and, yes, on mac too).

That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you! Interesting thing is just now it downloaded a new patch for the game and now it is letting me change the controls. How's that for service (probably just a coincidence....)!!!! In any case, thanks for the help for a newb :)

Duke Raas likes this.
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Have you tried Windowed mode? I was able to set the resolution to whatever my monitor can support.

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I never said anything about a 5k retina display.

I was thinking it was 1/2 the resolution of a macbook pro at 2880x1800...
    but that is 1440x 900, so I don't know why it's a little off.

Nonetheless, they don't support the native resolution of the macbook pro I use. I just have the same odd resolutions.

*edit* All I can do is 1440 x 900 on my laptop, so YMMV but that's how it works for me.

As soon as the retina display macs came out with high DPIs, games had trouble supporting the resolutions, so I put 2 and 2 together.

Macs are pathetic gaming machines. Shroud is one of the only game options on the Mac.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  9. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Fortunately, I am not a "gamer" per se. My world doesn't revolve around that. I like games and I play them, but for me it's maybe a few games per year. My Mac is certainly formidable as a gaming machine, though. Mac does have a lot of games available now btw; Steam has thousands listed and GOG has a good many as well. Still, I'll be happy just to be able to play this. Shouldn't be too hard for the dev's to make a wider resolution option available? I hope they are reading this....

Montaigne likes this.
  10. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Wipes happen every 3 months. One will be coming end of April, and the last wipe is scheduled for July 28th.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

There are so many games on Steam you can't play on mac that are windows only.

I'm not saying you can't game on a mac or that there's anything wrong with it if you try (although with the graphics cards most non-mac pros have you can't *really* game)

but you can't play most of the top titles AFAIK. You can't play star citizen for example. no Torment Tides of Numenera.... the list goes on.

Windows PC with SLI cards setup is still the way to go for serious gaming and probably always will be.

12. Quindorrian

Quindorrian Avatar

Like I said - I am not a serious gamer. The games I do play run better on my Mac than my Windows equivalent PC. My Mac is no slouch and none of the games you've mentioned are of interest to me. There is no game really that I want to play that I can't play on my MAC. I just want the games that are touted to be able to be played to work - especially this game. Not asking for anything else.

4EverLost likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.