Perma-Death option, yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BillRoy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I don't see a point to it. It can be done manually. Say you die; just go to delete character and do it, then start over.

Sure, it would be optional to have it, but at this stage of the game, I'd rather see the energy going into more important things than to something that maybe a total of 0.5% of people would actually use.

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

So your answer is no, then. That is an acceptable responce, friend.

But like I said, it was never about reality, just wishfull thinking on my part and a chance for people to get to know a little about eachother.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Did I miss something? I thought I was just making a case.

4. Root2

Root2 Avatar

I would support the option of permadeath and would eventaully make a peradeath character but it must be an option and not a forced playstyle. Perhaps have all characters with permadeath enabled have a specific title or some other distingusing atribute. Permadeath adds a lot of excitment and a greater feeling of achievment when goals are met and I have enjoyed it in other games but I wouldnt want to have all my accounts/characters suffer a permanant death.

BillRoy likes this.
  5. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I don't know, maybe when I said we were all cartoons?:)

*Text conversations are often taken out of context, and misunderstandings are common because it's hard tell if somone is smiling or shaking thier fist. Especially when you aren't really familiar with the personalitys of who you're talking to.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I agree, and I wouldn't want it for everyone on the account either.

7. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

BillRoy, don't mistake Moderators as Devs whatever you do. Purple names mean nothing, they are suppose to be watching threads and making sure people like me behave. I am not as down on 'all' Moderators as Sir Owain is however, I do believe they should be able to voice their opinions on what is happening with the game and how they wish to play it.

Just remember though that Moderators are not Portalarium staff, they have their own opinions, and what they say isn't by any means the law of the land when it comes to discussing hypotheticals like this.

BillRoy likes this.
  8. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Thanks friend, and thanks too for your courtesy and support. I really apperciate it.:)

*I hope SoTA won't become a police state with vigilantes laying down the law, and the "High Lords" running rough shod over the commoners. But I think this is the future of the game...it might even be happening now and this is only the pre-alpha forums. Allowing people to spend extreamly large amounts of money could cause some serious self entitlment and social class issues.

9. hanskrsg

hanskrsg Avatar

Lord of the rings had such achievements actually.

10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Guild Wars has a title like that, I think you get after level 10, and it gets upgraded until you reach max level, but if you die you loose it.

11. God

God Avatar

I posted this same exact comment pretty much and caught hell for it.. Not the police state part, but the entitled/hierarchy-esque attitudes coming from some members.
    Especially the one(s) that assume they're on the "inside" because they have spoken to RG, Starr or any devs.. Or because they're in their videos.. Hah.

I keep my hopes held high though!

BillRoy likes this.
  12. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Couldn't be talking about me, because I've never had Richard or Starr or any other devs in my videos...But I'm not sure who else is making videos....

Well, in any case, I don't see anybody trying to impose a hierarchy of any type. I'd like somebody to point me to a post where that's going on.

There are people trying to protect their investments, and others contending that it isn't fair that only people with $500+ to spend can get land. Is that what you are referring to?

And how exactly does that relate to Perma-death?

I'm tired, and maybe I'm missing something.

13. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Sir Frank, here are some examples and information on that.

Edited for violation of rules.

BillRoy likes this.
  14. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

With your reminder, I recall the Baron+ thing, but haven't heard anything else since mid June. Has anything happened recently?

Thanks!

15. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Permadeath does have an appeal to the rp aspect of it. I can see why some would like it. I can personally role with it as I have many times before, but at the same note, I can see frustration of having to go through "newbie land" every restart and rework everything through the same quests and such. It would be very tiresome after a while, so I can see both options. But I concur with a previous post, for it to mean anything, its all or nothing.

BillRoy likes this.
  16. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

Being a PD player and a strong advocate of Permadeath in other MMOs, I just had to dig this up.

I believe most players have a huge misconception of what PD is.
    Permadeath is not about having your character deleted when he/she dies.
    Permadeath is all about doing anything to prevent the death of your character, because he/she won't be coming back from the grave.
    And if you play in a group, your actions have a real impact i.e. you can be a hero and risk your life to save your companion's, or you can bugger up and cause a death or two.

It's not just playing as you would normally, with the only difference that you delete your character upon death.
    It's playing a completely different game, where you think twice before opening a door, you sit on the edge of your chair every time you try to sneak past a group of orcs or disable a trap.

Most PD guilds also had further restrictions (my guild did not allow purchase of potions or magical items for example), because there is no point in playing PD if your life is hardly ever in any kind of danger.

That said, I don't think Permadeath suits a game like SotA. Of course we have not played the game yet, but we can see it's going in a direction where I see little space for PD.
    I for one wouldn't want to lose a house and unique items which I had hand-crafter and decorated and upon which I have spent maybe millions of gold or whatever the currency is when my character died after lagging out in a dungeon...
    I may have a separate character going around as an adventurer, of course with the best possible gear, but he won't be buying a house and he won't be crafting much if at all.

Just my two pence :)

smack, rild, BillRoy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I do not think there should be perma death, however I do hope they bring back having to run to a healer to res. I hate how games now either res you at a saved point or at a graveyard. Having to find a random healer or player in the woods and get back to your body before it decayed added a little something to the game. It gave you a reason to not want to die, and stopped things such as spawn point camping and people hunting monsters/ players next to a graveyard to be able to insta res and keep fighting.

Fox_Cunning likes this.
  18. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I would go for one main character and one perma-death character.
    Well on second thought I would not want someone to have a character just to mine up resources safe from any pvp.

BillRoy likes this.
  19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

As long as it's an option and default is OFF, go for it. I myself would not vote for it. Nay...

BillRoy likes this.
  20. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I would vote for it on behalf of those who wanted it even if I didn't, if I knew it wouldn't effect me because it was an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.