Tera like combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mekong, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I love the aiming feeling, and i won't worry about the reticule thing. In fact i don't think it's even needed. If you're a ranger you can currently sort of play with this because ranged skills are working with this kind of targeting; you know your enemy is gonna take the hit if he's glowing white. It's true it can be cumbersome to handle all that at first, but it's just matter of getting used to it... That being said i do hope that there are still some changes to reduce the attention span required by the combat bar (atm it's too high).

I agree! I do like the turn in the basics towards a more action related experience but i'd like to keep the goal of skills being strategic elements. Maybe on the long run skills end up being sort of special attacks (as it has been mentioned elsewhere), popping less frequently and being more powerful. I keep thinking that just by changing the way focus work into something more related with the "energy" rogues had in WoW could make the combat more strategic.

All in all, awesome improvements. Looking forward to test this!

Tahru, mike11, helm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I spoke out for movement with the mouse when the charged attack was introduced into the game many many releases ago! No one else seemed to really care back then though. Since then I've forced myself to get used to using WASD in combat so at this point it really doesn't matter to me any more. . . :/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/video-r20-melee-improvements.34121/

As you can see in the thread I linked. .. I was fairly adamantly against combat movement using wasd. .oh how things have changed!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Tahru likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm all for improving combat. I just have to comment to it being an insult to backers if portalarium decides to take on a big project verses just meeting kickstarter goals. I disagree with this thought. The combat system is extremely broken and always has been. The developers have to try what they think is best and then we provide feedback and do over if needed. What's important is to do whatever the game needs to make it a good game, a satisfying experience, and also a fun and rewarding experience. The kick starter goals will get there. They'll break their butts getting them in for us I know. When I pledged it was not to hold anything over them if they don't do it exactly as I say, it was a contribution and I don't look back whatever the out come. I just trust them to do their best with our feedback. I believe in the end sota will be a fantastic game. Also I am a fan of teras combat style except to include options so it doesn't break our hands doing it. So plenty of skills that have hold and release for more power options would be great. And perhaps if possible your character takes over and does some moves on their own if you do a particular sequence of skills. Just some thoughts and I'm on my phone sorry if I have typos.
    Edit ed

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  4. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

@Chris if this doesnt work out how about instead of tab targetting old uo style drag out the health bar type targeting ? Gotta say I loved that system as it allowed you to pull up multiple mobs hp bars at once.
    Also it involved a little more interaction/skill than just hitting tab.

5. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

I know this is something that we are going to have to see and figure out but concerns are already here;

Movement - how is it affected? Mouse / ASWD?
    Using the skills? I use my mouse to click them as much (or more) than I use number keys, so if target is under cursor how do I click the skill/spell?

And of course we have 70 days until the last wipe before release why are we making such a monumental change to a system at this time, don't ge me wrong at least it is being looked at but really????

This needs to be in QA ASAP , the more time we have to test / play the better we are. Obviously it is already in the system, we the testers should have out hands on it sooner better than later.

FrostII, Ice Queen, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  6. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

For those of us that already play using the hotkeys and WASD this is not so much of a change. Ranged standard attacks actually worked with this kind of aim (which has brought lots of bug reports because it changed your target!) and even when it was hard to coordinate both modes at the same time, it was fun, and gave me an actual reason to look up from my combat bar.

I acknowledge it can be hard to get used to if you're used to combine skills using the mouse... but it does work, i can tell you all that.

7. helm

helm Avatar

Yes, it's quite doable.

My only concern with this system is what Chris said, about not being able to shoot an enemy if there are enemies closer in front of the target.
    For example, consider this scenario:

P=player, S=large spider, A=skeleton archer
    Code:

A

S
           S

P

Tactically it's quite obvious here that you will want to get rid of the skeleton archer first.
    The question in here is; am I going to be able to target the archer at all? If targeting is tuned to cover the whole broad side of the barn, then I don't see how this would be possible.

Perhaps there should be a selectable, maybe not quite fps-style but more accurate targeting for us ranged folks. Maybe it could be even tunable by slider or something?

8. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

You will! in fact, you are! you just need to find a way to aim the fella, like put some height difference between the enemies in front and the ones in the rear (the archer in this case) or go around the first enemies. I've recorded a video killing four corpions without Tab targeting them in current build and on it i specifically aim one of them target a couple of times... It's recorded, but i failed miserably at uploading it to the internet with an acceptable resolution. I'll post it when i dig some more into how to upload a video and make sure it's not an amalgam of pixels :oops:

It's true you can't actively aim to an enemy that's behind other enemies, but i can see a reason in why. If the option of aiming behind other enemies is considered, maybe the mouse wheel could be used?

helm likes this.
  9. Amsterdamaged

Amsterdamaged Avatar

Active combat... lol

10. helm

helm Avatar

I tried it, and as you implied, it's pretty accurate already: I was able to target an archer behind the spiders easily (even large spiders aren't exactly tall, so one has the height difference already right there :D) , also delivering alternating quick shots to two enemies chasing me side by side was easy (useful for example for slowing down multiple opponents with Disabling shots). Nice. Hope it stays that way, and only gets better.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  11. hoofz

hoofz Avatar

I happen to think Tera was the most exciting combat in any MMO that I have played. Healing was fun

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Draw the skeleton into the spiders. Keep hitting whatever has the highest health. Kill remaining mob. Loot.

Ice Queen and Fister Magee like this.
  13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it needs to work such that you can target the archer and fire at him but, if someone else gets in the way it hits them instead, and with spells it breaks line of sight.

14. helm

helm Avatar

Yes. Line of sight is the key; this is why I chose spiders to be in the middle (even the big ones are only up to knee height). And it basically works already as expected: if you can target 'em, you can kill 'em! :) Now if only we could add friendly fire to the mix (uhh no no no forget I said anything not going to open that can of worms in here...:p)..

15. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Consensual friendly fire!

16. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

"sorry didn't mean to plug that arrow in your butt . . . .*twang* SORRY .. . . that wasn't where I was aiming . . . . .I was trying to hit the dragon but, you got in the shot . . . . .ok that time was your fault. . . . ."

Leelu, helm and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  17. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

is it me or does this arrow make my butt look big

18. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    I'm concerned. I liked Tera but it didn't strike me as an MMORPG specifically because of the combat system. And, to be honest, I don't play Tera for a variety of reasons. The FPS combat system is one of those reasons. I'm starting to have Star Wars Galaxies CU induced panic attacks. Where do I cast my vote to remain old skewl? I probably don't even have a vote.

19. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I am sure this upcoming system has been tested well, and I cannot wait to try this! I'm looking forward to the changes in combat! Better sooner than later, and we all know combat had still needed something special, or different.. well here comes different! :) I think it will turn out fine.

Tahru, helm and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  20. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    [​IMG]

Fingers crossed! I'm ready!

Leelu, Malcipher and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.