Tera like combat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mekong, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

That's already in game. Dive rolling, and "big attack" tells from fighting Trolls. All there. Normal enemies don't do it, but at least Trolls do.

Ice Queen likes this.
  2. ridicOne

ridicOne Avatar

First off, Black Desert Online one ups Tera combat IMO. From being Max Level at one point or another in both games, BDO just builds on what Tera started.

Secondly, isn't this a little late to be doing considering when final wipe is coming? I would imagine there will be more issues to arise on the release of the revised combat. I don't comment too often but this is just my two cents.

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Willing to try it, just dont break mouse movement ;)

FrostII, Acred, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  4. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Agree with PK U, my reflexes are not what they used to be. All I ask for is a option to toggle off and on , just a choice between the two. Not a spring chicken anymore. ;);)

FrostII, Duke Albert, Acred and 8 others like this.
  5. Albus

Albus Avatar

Just noting I am looking forward to testing something more like "first person shooter" combat and less like "tab target MMO" combat. I'm not sure what the version we will test will be like, but I'd like to see something more "interactive" (as in shooters) and less "tab-target-like" and with less focus on staring at icons and more focus on watching your actual target.

So I am excited, but always cautious pending testing ;) Thanks to devs for trying new stuff either way :)

*edit to add I favour more active combat focused on following your target more than tabs and cooldown bars for both PvE & PvP. There are 1st person shooters that are completely pve & co-op which demonstrates that fun/action combat can be as important for pve as pvp, IMO. I tend to play PvE/Co-op as much or more than pvp in my gaming.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

despite the fact that I'm tired of relearning mechanics, I guess it really doesn't matter to me because I've always been a rooster, I've never known what it's like to be a spring chicken.

Lace, Lord Baldrith, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  7. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@ Albus- Are we getting guns, shotguns, pistols? I completely missed that info, please link.:):)

Ice Queen, Albus and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Moonshadow ---At least you get to rule the roost. :) Back on topic . But with a choice , it does give you the option of either or.

9. Noric

Noric Avatar

I must say Darkfall combat always looked a lot more boring than it tended to be. There were a lot of things wrong with that game, but the combat surprisingly was not one of them.

10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would not expect an easy toggle for these systems.. and would believe the old is being replaced for good. I do not think it will be easy to revert, but easier to refine the new system. But we are alpha still technically, so this is to be expected and accepted.

Leelu likes this.
  11. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Instead of a spring chicken I'd like to be a "Roc" where I pick up armor plated elephants and drop them on my opponents.

Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
  12. Noric

Noric Avatar

Well the new system needs to get past latency issues and such before even making it to live.

uziraff, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  13. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

sometimes they come to snuff the rooster however ;)

14. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Well of course.. :)

Leelu likes this.
  15. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Fister Magee -- I agree with the new, but as has been implied within the forums, a lot of players are of the older age base and they will age as the years go by, so easy access would be favorable now, instead of 5 or 6 years down the road, and then the complaints begin. Just looking forward is all. Loosing your player base due to age related issues can be avoided now. After all the older age base usually has "mo" money. ;);)

Acred, Lace, PK U and 3 others like this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i really enjoyed skyrim as well for that very reason. they did a damned good job with archery in skyrim online... er, uh, eso....

i was a ranger in gw2, and that had heat seeking archery skills that i did not enjoy. they chose that method because of the way they decided to implement 'always keep moving' requirement in boss fights. yeah, it was fun, but it was not what i really enjoyed. skyrim and eso did a very good job with that regard, however. i'd like to see more of that with archery..while you COULD go into 3rd person view for archery, it was FUN AS HELL to go into first person view.

17. Albus

Albus Avatar

Just bows and crossbows so far as I know (maybe if they'd stayed with a steampunk style? - though I like medieval here fine ;) ). Can always try some Payday 2 or Borderlands or such for shooter fix I guess, but I like that focus on following your target more than skillbar, and aiming with bows and spells could work more similarly to shooters ;). "Shoot him with an arrow!" :))

Leelu likes this.
  18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I agree there, but I bet in this case, in 5 years a lot of these older players will have more issues than playing a game! But that's a terrible joke :)

Really, the player base is going to skew to a much larger and younger base. I recognize the need to keep the game easier to play in many ways.. but we also need to recognize the majority of players are actually going to be younger people with no knowledge of Ultima or Ultima Online. IMHO.

edit: I'm an 'oldy' but have almost no knowledge of U/UO :) except for what I've garnered from these forums, and installing U7 a little while back. And I don't mean to insult the older crowd, as they are thought of at the 'whales'.. but the whales are not going to be what drives this game down the road, they are helping build this game, but they are not the future market. Again, imho.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  19. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Ya I guess it's just 2 different type of player. I like combat systems with attack combos that connect together...the ability to deflect and discard damage, counter attacks, etc

I'd rather see a combat system that has stuff like this:

Than this:

Ice Queen, Albus and Leelu like this.
  20. Albus

Albus Avatar

Yeah, I don't really want to see assault rifles in SoTA either, maybe Skyrim was the better comparison than "shooter" but for my part I mainly meant focused on your target than on bars, and with mouse-aiming as opposed to tab targets, etc.

Ancev, Moiseyev Trueden and Leelu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.