More random life events

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Truthveyor, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

"Nothing is happening" is one of the dullest things to experience in games.

In life, different things can happen to you. You get a call all of a sudden from a relative about some matter; a friend wants to talk; the kid gets sick; a sibling asks you to help out with something, a friend invites you to have a drink, etc.

Translating real life events like these to the world of Shroud and making them more interesting, the following examples of events could happen randomly:

1. An NPC you've met sends a messenger to you, asking you to meet him at a certain place to discuss certain things.

2. A messenger raven flew to you to invite you to an upcoming Community Event in a certain Player Owned Town (party, celebration, etc.)

3. A messenger dog finds you, bearing a parchment from an NPC you've meet about a difficulty the NPC is having.

4. The Oracle tells you that an NPC you've befriended has been hurt badly and could need your help.

5. You are fetched by a pair of guards to meet a certain NPC lord who wanted updates about certain matters he had talked to you about.

6. A stranger accosts you and gives you a flyer about a special sale that's going on at a particular town, "a limited time offer".

7. An "Outlander hater" comes up to you, and after some unpleasant words about Outlanders challenges you to a duel at a certain time and place, which you can either accept or decline.

8. An evil spirit in a dungeon or graveyard possesses you and makes you dance uncontrollably at random times until you exorcises it by seeing a certain hermit NPC, or until it leaves you alone on its own, or until you serve it whiskey, or whatever.

9. An NPC sends a message to you, to invite you to have a drink in a particular tavern. You go because sometimes he gives you a quest, a clue, a special offer, etc.

The possibilities are endless, I'm sure the Dev's can dream up a lot more, but the point is that life in Shroud must not be dull. Spice it up a bit, please. Maybe make an unexpected thing happen every 1-2 hours or something like that. The Avatar can choose to ignore some of these events if he is in the middle of something.

There should be a mail-relay system so that NPC's can contact you in game, such as parchment delivery by NPC messengers, birds, dogs, mailbox, crystal balls, hand-held radios, etc., maybe even by Avatars (such as an NPC asking someone on your Friend List to pass you a message, thus promoting social interaction), so that those random life events can be made known to you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Cianna, Tahru, Lace and 12 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You have awesome feedback. I so agree. So here's a couple more:

While out fishing you fish up a very unusual looking medallion. when unravelling it from your fishing line you prick your finger on it and begin to feel strange and then your character staggers and stumbles around falling to the ground you have been poisoned or something and you must find out more about this to save yourself.

Another example you are exploring the world when you come to an abandoned Campground and see a body. You look around to see if you see anyone and you notice something shiny laying next to the body and stoop down to pick it up. It is a locket with a picture of a woman in it. Also you notice in the fireplace the remains of a burnt note with a name on it. Perhaps you should ask someone in a nearby town about this person and show the woman's picture around.

I hope we have lots of fun interesting things to do and also I want our character to respond to the environment and show it and comment about it. Like *shivers* *stumbles**feels ill* *vomits* *falls to the ground*

Thanks for bringing this up.:) We need more fun and engaging factors included in the game. It is absolutely important for success.

@DarkStarr @Richard Garriott @Lum @Devs

Edited typos and added comments

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Tahru, Leelu, Black Orchid and 7 others like this.
  3. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Well since we're translating likely real life events here:

You drink so much that you pass out and wake up the day after in @DarkStarr's airship surrounded by empty whiskey bottles, covered in feathers and laying next to a goat.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~That's a Good Idea~:D
    Maybe if our character gets too drunk and passes out, the game can carry them away to another instance where many differing possibilities can happen... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Leelu, Truthveyor, majoria70 and 3 others like this.
  5. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

I'm glad I helped getting the community members' creative juices flowing there. :D

"Never a dull moment in Novia" is probably a good goal to shoot for. Many games only react to the Player's actions. To make Novia and NPC's in Novia more life-like, sometimes they should come knock on your door, so to speak, especially when you're feeling a bit bored.

6. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

Now we talking wonderfull ideas.here's hoping some of theses ideas do end up in game.They would make things a lot more interesting for sure.:D

7. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

We'll I'm not even going to ask:D

8. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I spent 3 weeks aggravating @Attenwood and other dev members who threatened me to stay out of the hidden vale for a while cause I found a paper in the game and was trying to track the clue down to an npc in the game that the letter referenced. I literally went to every npc town and location that i could find in the game spoke with each and everyone of them. wrote up about a 100 bug reports looking for this npc referenced in the letter in the game. In the end when i could not find any more npc's in the game that i had not talked to. i was told ohh that note was deco. there is no npc in the game with her name. lol
    moral of the story careful what you ask for. you could be chasing a dead end quest for weeks.

9. Truthveyor

Truthveyor Avatar

Ha ha ha ha ha

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhh sorry that's crazy. I say let's ask for notes and things to be found throughout the game with meaningful purposes to them. We need this. The more the better. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.