Potential Auction House?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by MauganRa, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Would there be any Auctioning?

Instead of doing what Wow did and having auctions for most items, how about an Auction house for Rare items? And instead of just a Menu that you can bid on, how about an auctioneer casting out the prices as people bid?

Just some food for though.

2. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I'm an opponent of global auctions, but I see value in smaller auction houses. I remember running a small auction house on a UO freeserver and the results were great (all of the community building with none of the market destruction), because things were localized and players were forced to create the system (there wasn't one in place), so only a handful of items (submitted by players) would be sold at any given auction.

3. stile

stile Avatar

Its been said for a long while that there wont be auction houses (unless they change their mind... Which i really hope not).

It will be bazars, vendors, and individual to individual transactions.

However, what you can say WILL be in the game.. I say will because ill be doing it as a guild event on occasions.

I take a house.. Either my own or the guild shop, etc. every so often i post in the proper places im running an in game event, time , location, etc.

I notify the guild leaders of guilds i have relationships with that i believe would have an interest.. I then tun the auction live.

This is a typical event for a sandbox mmo, and im sure we will see a lot of them.

The only potential crutch is the limit of how many people can be together at same time.. That may cause live auctions to be somewhat limited. Proxy bids maybe? :)

Im sure well also see web sites that have shop listings on the for buying and purchasing goods. Ive already built a couple forums over at the caverns for this purpose but ill grow the tools based on usage, need, and usefulness as necessary.

Mordecai likes this.
  4. Huntyre

Huntyre Avatar

I really hope there isn't a global AH. I'd much rather have individuals be able to set up shop or have a specialized vendor NPC that would operate locally do it for them.

As for live auctioneering.. that seems like a lot of work (and potentially annoying as hell) for minimal return.

vjek likes this.
  5. vjek

vjek Avatar

I'd prefer to see the ability to globally search for the location of resources for sale/trade and finished products for sale/trade, and that's it. No prices.
    Then, if you want those, you can fast travel to that hex and find it via a market board, which would be local only.
    This would encourage sellers, globally, to have their vendors in one place. If that's behavior Portalarium wants to encourage, then this would do that.

I know people don't like instant buying and selling on a global interface. I completely understand, and have seen it myself, that when RMT is involved with in-game currency, it becomes just another stock market to manipulate with bots and scripts. GW2 continues to demonstrate this, from launch until today.

I also know that people want a single place to get their stuff, be that food, furniture, or fuzzy furling pets. So, that's fine, just let them search for the location, at least they'll know where it is.

Additionally, a global search and fulfill interface just for want-ads/work orders also seems reasonable. I don't see a downside to having that global, but opinions may vary.

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

it has already been said that there wont be an global auctionhouse. There were hints about local bazaars(?)

A kind of seatch system for shop locations would be good for us shopkeepers to advertise on a local or global scale.. but.. yeah, i dont know.

7. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I say: down with game-managed aucion houses, up with player-run auction house events!

Tizon and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  8. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

Just yell out your offers at the bank of the capital city. Worked just fine in UO. :)

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  9. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

10. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

My suggestion was really just for items of great value with little supply, like rares or hard to come by things.

I dislike Global AH's and think its a waste of time.

11. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

The team has already stated there wil be no global auction houses. They are not even interested in regional auction houses. They did say they were open to a "brokerage" were items from one land could be sent to another for a buyer. Not sure how that would work.

12. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Did you read the whole post?

13. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Additional to all comments here, we'll have vendors to sell items and i imagine and believe an auction system will destroy the "dealing flow" and the gaming experience of "immersion". With an personal (maybe guild) vendor, there is more relation to a player and a players vendor instead buying something in an auction system. Tales will rumor like: "Hey, the player XY has great legendary items to sell. He is known as a very experienced SotA player. His house is located at......." Finally, an auction system is more casual /WoW style.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  14. rendix

rendix Avatar

Installment of a global auction system would devalue player vendors and therefore devalue housing. I'd much rather see live auctions held in the town theater for example.

Sinclair, Sir Stile Teckel and Umbrae like this.
  15. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

Live auctions would be great! It would make it so players would have to travel to a certain town to bid on an item that will be sold in an auction on that day. Posters in a city center could display auctions that are going on (just the location and times) and people could travel to those towns to see the list of what will be auctioned. Another Idea is to not say what will be auctioned so people will be surprised by every new item that is being sold next and will have to wait around to see the next item. This would stop people from showing up just on time to bid on one item with their gold then leave. It would be more realistic if people came to bid on an item, won it ... but then a better item was being sold next. They then would have already spent a part of their gold on the first item so it will give others a shot at the 2nd item. Just some thoughts.

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I think auctions run by individuals would be nice, but I don't see any reason to have anything in the game to support them. You truck your wares to the location, stand in the open and run the crowd just like any auctioneer.

As long as you can trade items and gold this should be possible.

Sir Stile Teckel and rendix like this.
  17. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

My first guild used to hold auctions back in the day. We found it a bit difficult to do it out in the open in the city streets. You always have some idiots just shouting out bids or obscenities. So we used our guild house. We then charged 100 gold to get in. The player would get 90 gold back after the auction. It was just a way to weed out the people who weren't serious. Once the auction started...they actually worked pretty well. People bought some great things and even a bit of RP was thrown around. And all this was done without any specific game mechanics for auctioning.

18. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Fully agree. Live auctions hold by players / event are really a very nice idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.