Tired of House decor!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enoch, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Today's standup has Richard preparing for an upcoming comic con. It's unknown which one that refers to, but maybe he might show an updated demo there?

Enoch likes this.
  2. MindBlast

MindBlast Avatar

Thanks, i looked into it and New York Comic Con is this week. And indeed there is one familiar face in the quest list (scroll down): http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/Whos-Coming/Guests/Ent-Guests/

3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

4. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The answer to all your questions Enoch: 42

Enoch, Knoxinn, Mordecai and 2 others like this.
  5. DEricF

DEricF Avatar

There are plenty of other games with action and pvp combat but very few which allow their players to enjoy the depth of gameplay that housing and other similar features tend to add.

Generally the first question asked by players (and usually in the FAQ for all of them) when they hear about a new MMO is "Will there be player housing?" which is almost met with the answer "Player housing is not planned for launch, but may be added at a later date." -- meaning buy our game and if it lasts more than a month, we might add that feature in if we don't turn our attentions to the next game. Since every MMO has this question in the FAQ, there has to be a large chunk of the player base that view this as one of the main(if not sometimes the biggest) selling points.

SotA came out ahead of the curve and they've said yes, you will have player housing options. In addition we're going to focus on making this one of the features of the initial release and ensure that it is done properly from the start. Personally, I decided to donate to SotA immediately(though after the kickstarter, sadly) when I saw the housing features(of course in all fairness, with my love of the Ultima games, I didn't really give much consideration to not donating). Other companies should not only take note of but strive to emulate this type of response to the community!

6. Enoch

Enoch Avatar

the "voice" isnt always the Majority. if you look back to UO. A much Smaller percentage of people were into the whole collecting/house decorating. Most players Probably never logged into a forum, Had every color dye tub, special sandles Ect. It needs a balance in my opinion. Im hopeing for balance.

BillRoy and TemplarAssassin like this.
  7. DEricF

DEricF Avatar

Keep in mind that one of the biggest problems with UO was the fact that you couldn't walk outside of town--the towns were surrounded with towns of player homes making it into one giant town. I would say that speaks to how important housing became to people. Perhaps they did not value them from the start, but they did come to enjoy them. Many to this day still keep their account(s) active simply so that they don't lose their home.

It is true that the voice isn't always the majority. Though how do you determine the majority if a substantial portion of the potential players never begin playing the game simply because it doesn't include the features they are looking for? SW:ToR should have had better success if the players only wanted action and combat. It had plenty of them elements but it lacked any depth beyond that. Diablo 3 also had great combat with no depth in any other aspects of the game. WoW provided great combat and fun dungeons/raids, yet players constantly kept looking for a different game. What would WoW look like if they had focused on something besides the grind in later expansions, like player housing, player run towns, improved crafting, etc?

With all of the MMORPG that have risen and fallen over the years, why is it that games such as Ultima Online still hold a portion of the market when the combat and action style of newer games such as WoW is so highly praised by the "majority"? --Personally I believe it is because they inspire their players to slow the grind down just a bit and enjoy the often overlooked but most invaluable part of any game, the community.

TigerKhan, Devoid and Knoxinn like this.
  8. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Well put DEricF.
    Speaking of housing, what amazes me is that housing in SotA isn't instanced! This has got to be a paradigm shift in MMOs? Just incredible, and I'm not particularly house-oriented either. But housing really is going to enrich the player environment.

TigerKhan likes this.
  9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I would like to see more housing please, can I get a neon green roof that I can see from the overland map?:p

Enoch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.