SC Event was awsome! So a SotA Event could not hurt! ;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oceania Crest, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Hello everyone!

I know such an event always costs money, bust less then an own stand at the gamescom (that's why CIG did it that way) + It is a HUGE bonus for the companies image and a very good way to promote the game!

So hello to everyone who was on the Star Citizen Event in Cologne! We might have seen each other!
    And having a Lord Bitish autograpg next to that of Chris Roberts would look awsome! :)

And I hope there will be a similar Event for SotA! :)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Considering there is a big budget difference in these two games, I would not expect any big events until there is more to show off. I think FL had said at one point they were not going to be at some events because they wanted to ensure all our money and the dev's effort was put into the game instead of on traveling.

I would love to see SOTA at some more events, but I also would prefer money and time is invested in the game.

4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Putting all the money into development is such a bull**** excuse. You know they'll show up somewhere eventually, so they should just say that there isn't enough to show off now to make it worth the cost to travel anywhere except Austin.

[Edit - I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think the excuse seems like it's patronizing the pledgers. "Oh, you're money is too important! We want to develop with it!" So what happens when the time comes to eventually visit some event like E3 (either officially or in a hotel room down the street) to give media a peek, what money are they using? It's just better to say that it's not time for that.]

licemeat likes this.
  5. Borg

Borg Avatar

U mean events like Unite 2013? Are u all missing it???

6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Unite isn't an event Portalarium is visiting in the "set up a booth and show off a demo" sense. It's an event that Richard is doing to spread word about the game and how it uses Unity. And I bet Unity paid for his plane ticket and hotel room. :)

And if you missed it, don't worry. It's generally the same as the RTX talk and other things we've seen before.

7. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

It's not an excuse... it's a reality. We are working with a VERY limited budget and we have to make concious decisions every day where that money is going to be put to the best use. Right now, there is not enough gameplay to show off to justify the expense of traveling to Cons. Next years Con circuit could be a different case entirely. So yes, right now, our focus, budget and manhour, is on developing the game. When we are closer to launch, that shift will inevitably change to showing off what we've developed.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yep, that's exactly the way it should be done. My point is that when you tell people that their pledged money is too important to use on the Cons, well, that isn't true because it will be used on the Cons eventually. SotA is too interesting to not show off. And of course, there is that battle to get people to understand the selective multiplayer that will only happen if it's demoed to them. I think the better answer is that the money is going where it needs to go at this stage in the development, which is exactly what you guys are doing.

I'm not trying to nitpick, just had a moment of weakness. The phrase is just one of those things that causes me to roll my eyes every time I see someone say it. I should have continued to internalize it.

9. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

I never told anyone their pledge money was too important to use on Cons. What I wrote up there has ALWAYS been my response to that question. But what I see happening a LOT on the forums is people misquoting Devs (not maliciously, mind you) and then those misquotes being requoted as facts. Be careful not to confuse what someone said we said with something we actually said. And NEVER internalize it. Bringing it to my attention allows me to address it, clarify any miscommunication, and nip this sort of thing in the bud.

10. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Considering that after the Event SC recived a new record of pledges, I would say even more that such an Event would not hurt for SotA. Important is that enough people are interested and they find a good place (and as cheap as possible to rent) for the event. And that they have something new and great to Show.

11. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

My take is that if you want to an event of some kind....then do it in Austin. The community itself should to set it up and organize an event at a bar, club or restaurant in Austin and simply invite the developers to join if they'd like. We can buy them a round of drinks or two, or three and see what kind of secrets they divulge. The most important part is that they don't really have to do anything but show up and hang out for bit.

12. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Hi again!
    Well I still root for SotA, so I hope that at least the majority understands the idea behind my suggestion! :)

@InsaneMembrane: First you should understand a message behind something before you start to post "smart" comments to a topic.
    Guess why I wrote it with "**"? Itwas about the message and not about a single word, that you don't like!
    And I am only responsible for what I write or say and NOT for what other think they understand what I wrote or sayd! ;)

But I guess every forum needs a troll, right? ;)

13. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

I just hope that the majority of this community is able to see the support I try to give this game. I remember a warm and overwhelming friendly welcome when I joined this forum. I just don't hope that has been replaced by jealousy because I made no secret that I support Star Citizen a bit more then SotA and Star Citizen has the bigger success then SotA. Because SotA realy deserves to become something great!

OrionSnake likes this.
  14. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

Well, label me what you will, but I don't go around censoring my own speech on this forum due to their explicit nature. Your suggestion was totally fine, it is simply the language which subtracts attention from your actual idea. If anyone wants to swear, go over to mmorpg and do it, I tried but for some reason I couldn't sign up... Maybe they've heard of me :p

In any case, everyone here of course wishes to support SotA and I don't think anyone has an issue with you supporting SC more than SotA either so all good there.

I guess the only thing to keep in mind, the SotA team really needs something other than pre-alpha out of the box towns and a couple of character animations to show the community, when they do I am sure you'll start seeing SotA around more.

Devoid and OrionSnake like this.
  15. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

Well, while guys like you get upsed about other peoples words, poeple in the Star Citizen Community add to their talking money to support their game! I might be wrong but pleding might help more then making a fuss about a word that was obviously was just understood as you liked and not how i ment it!

Just an idea, you know? ;)

16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

It is like leaving a message on someones old mobile number.
    You never get a reply.

17. Oceania Crest

Oceania Crest Avatar

I will not start a SotA vs. Star Citizen debate here, because it leads us nowwhere, and I think Richard Garriot would not be pleased to see that! So "nice" try. I don't fall for it! ;)

If you say beeing cheap is supporting a game. O.k. if you say so...

18. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Ok Fireball. You did not understand my hint bevore. You are talking to a person who has been banned from forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.