More and more concerned about Pay to play . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I have absoultely no problem with being able to pay rent with real $, it helps to place some actual value on people who pledged real $ upfront and got rent free deeds. Certainly far less P2W than the repairing armor max durability.

Also, this was never a secret. Probably stated before this but RG pretty much said this was going to happen back in this interview in February earlier this year.

2. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

The only eternal game in the world is EVE, it should never die, so I hope that we will get EVE in UO setting, so I hope soon we will pay each month.

3. Valdor

Valdor Avatar

So Crowns are accepted for rent currently? What is the rate? A village lot is, what, 200 gold a day? What's the Crown rate? You could use this information to form the basis of what a tax free lot is really worth.

4. Haukeye

Haukeye Avatar

Bottom line? They have gotten greedy due to all the cash shop money that rolls in. Now they just add a pay to play item and BOOM it starts. Trust me we will see more as time rolls on. Just another reason I am glad I cashed out all but one account.

5. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

No, Shroud is not "pay to play". I have a second account where I paid the minimum of 45 dollars and that is all I ever will pay on that account. That account will never buy add-ons, housing or crowns. I have enjoyed and will always enjoy playing on that alternate account just as much as my main account where I've spent a lot of money. For 45 dollars you can have just as much fun in this game as those who have spent hundreds or thousands.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Yep.

And gold farmers hate this, it caps their profits while also injecting enormous risk into their business model. No one will buy from gold farmers because Portalarium will always have the best price in town, and can always completely destroy the gold farming market by simply discounting the price of crowns periodically. Since you can't buy the premium currency (crowns) with in-game gold, the gold farmers have no way to collect enough to sell. They can still sell in-game gold, but they can't compete with crowns. In-game gold doesn't do the stuff that you listed above, and the amount of work someone would have to do to get a crown in-game would not be cost effective for gold farmers. There are other games that would be far more profitable.

It's a good system, and when I hear people say otherwise I assume they either don't get it, or they're upset because it ruins their plans to make real money. (i.e. they're gold farmers)

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It seems to me that the crowns are well ballanced. We should let it play out and see how it works.

It is too early to draw conclusions that this will be bad for the economy. The only argument we have for that is something like saying, "the crowns can pay rent, so the crowns are better than gold, therefore crowns have destroyed the gold market."

That just sounds a lot like
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  8. Lace

Lace Avatar

I just want to point one thing out about COTO's and the bonuses they give. I tested them when first released and did a video to verify the rates on meticulous etc. One of the things I pointed out is that the bonus from using the coto for this is it is a percentage based on the the knowledge you already have.

10% of nothing is nothing.
    If you have a 10 percent chance on meticulous gathering, 10 percent of 10 percent is nothing of consequence (and you really shouldn't be using a coto)
    Now if your rate is 30% chance you get an additional 10 percent chance that is NOT 40 percent on the stats displayed that ends up being 33% chance so only a 3 percent chance. (I don't recall offhand what the coto gives just showing an example)

Also keep in mind coto used in this fashion counts down whether in game or not so they are not for the casual player for a pay 2 win ... cause the clock starts when you pop the potion, not your hours logged in game.

Quite honestly in terms of 'potions' for gathering I found them quite meh.

Sorry Grumpie dear, I find them not of much use and not an issue in their original purpose. Paying taxes for the cash strapped I think is probably one of the best uses in bang for buck.

I am sure folks will disagree but my humble opinion

Fister Magee, Snikorts, Beli and 5 others like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

When I last used them they were useful. They just didn't make it so that we needed them. An increase on meticulous gathering is a nice bonus but it isn't a massive game changer.

10. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

There isn't a sub fee so somehow this game has to continue being funded. For those that are short on time I think being able to pay for the taxes in the store is the way to go. Others that have more time will pay the taxes with looted gold. I see a win win situation here.

11. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

I join for "No Problem with that Crowns".

12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We've had these threads created by you and others already. Please respond to those and don't create new ones for the same topic.

I will leave this open for now, but let's have a constructive conversation here. We want to hear you, but let's keep focus on the topic. Will help everyone :).

Thanks!

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

+1

Luca Xante likes this.
  14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I don't think paying tax with crowns makes the game any more or less pay to win. You can currently buy a town deed for 450, or buy a taxless town deed for 1200 with a knight marshal pledge.

Is paying 1200 for a taxless town deed more pay to win than buying a taxed town deed for 450 and using crowns to pay rent?

With the introduction of "bundles" (which give the previously exclusive benefit of a tax-free deed), you simply have a choice. Low upfront cost + taxes, or high upfront cost with no taxes.

(I will probably use my pledge crowns for the more weight potion, and more carry weight will probably be one of the first things I will grind up, I'm a pack rat!)

Budner, Luca Xante and Ice Queen like this.
  15. agra

agra Avatar

Correct!

16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Crowns are cool and completely optional, so no its not pay to play.

Rent actualy places a set value on crowns as it will have a direct compairison to the gold amount required.
    Once the value is set, will will know how much gold = 1 crown. and thus sellers/buyers will have a base price to start with and it helps with inflation.

I dont mind some pay to play really, as long as its optional.
    Required pay to play im off course completely against.
    If the only way to pay were crowns then yes, flip all the tables.
    but its not.

Luca Xante likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

It probably goes back even further, but this is the earliest article I could dig up in my quick search, dating back to Nov 2013.

Lord Barugon likes this.
  18. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

I do not see anything here so far that is out over the top ( as far as P2W ) All games need funding one way or another. I work sometimes a lot in a shot and would hate to lose my house ( that I spent decorating ) due to either me forgetting to play enough to have enough gold to pay for the taxs. so I do not mind at all paying for it and this way someone who cannot afford to pay more than the minimum can play the game and still benefit from ( game updates, game future enhancements and so on ).

As long as gold/silver ( whatever ) remains a way of paying for the same item/service I am all for it.. ( with the exception of pay for esthetic items which do not interfere with game play ).

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If they made it so that the only way to pay your lot tax was with gold crowns then that would be something to complain about. As it is, no.

Luca Xante and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

It doesn't seem like that much of a departure. Every pledge Ancestor and up already has the ultimate in real life money = rent exchange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.