PVP Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cind, Jul 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Can you clarify your position on trouble makers? To me this might be the root problem. Some people see trouble makers as people who disrupt events in a pvp area. Generally pvp'rs want to engage anyone with a pvp tag, so it does not matter to them if you are having a wedding, a play, or a tourney. If you are in a pvp area and have a pvp tag you are freely attackable. Now from what I gather is PvE players are trying to push for advantage in pvp zones, yes pvp POTs are pvp zones. I can see that you might want to watch pvp action but maybe people can watch from twitch? If it ever was enabled I would hope maybe you could watch as a ghost or something. You could not speak, gather, attack. You could just view.

2. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Agreed there are ways to solve problems but I fail to see a problem with being flagged pvp in a pvp zone

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm pretty sure that you're not able to flag a lot for PvP, only basements.

4. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I'm not trying to push for any advantage in any PVP zone ... anything already marked for open PVP can stay that way - players can murder and backstab and rezkill each other until the cows come home. What I'd like to see is a PVP Event Mode for POTs that are setup for PVE.

I'm not talking about a basement or a building... I'd like to see something for the entire scene that allows me to host PVP events across my entire scene. I don't want the hassle of having to ban people one at a time - that's just another exploit waiting to happen... And I don't want to be bullied into hiring protection. I'd like an ability to take my PVE POT and setup PVP events. That wouldn't change anything for anyone anywhere in a PVP flagged area. But it would allow me to host PVP events without having to dance around the PK game.

Write it into lore - bring the Oracle in on the deal and let PVP grow.

5. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

sounds like you need to be in a pve town. You can do all of that there, just have the people flag themselves.
    I think if there are problems with group limits or such then you should be lobbying for fixes for that instead of nerfing pvp areas.

Lady Cind likes this.
  6. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

What you're suggesting doesn't solve the PK problems that PVE types are experiencing.

Keep all the zones and PVP flagged POTs for open gank and rezkill. And for the rest of us, Portalarium could write some lore for respectable PVP in POTs with an event mode and then sit back and watch the PVP community grow. Honorable combat would be quite an attraction for PVP - especially now that SotA is going have over 300 POTs in game.

7. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

I guess I do not understand the "pk" problem. If you are in a pvp zone everyone is freely attackable. Its not the zones problem, its pve people wanting to use the zone for something its not intended for.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Some people separate PK and PVP, lots of people make this separation actually. Being ganked while harvesting in a shardfall is completely ok, and all part of the game. Being rezkilled in your own (non-PVP) POT while you're trying to put on a PVP event is a big turn off.

PVP zones are battlefields. The only expectation is win or die.

PVE POTs hosting PVP events carry an expectation of something more like a tournament. There's violence, but there's also decorum.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Yeah they you are in a PvE zone and players who want to participate in your "PvP" part of your event can go flag for PvP - problem Solved and already mechanic in game?

Now you run into the problem of other PvP flaged players who interfere with your PvP flagged event players and then you ban the harassers. Problem solved .

Again nothing new needs to be done - NOTHING.

Ariella and Ravicus Sales like this.
  10. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

You want the best of both worlds, I get it. You want to play with the big dogs but you cannot handle it. You do not want to pay for protection, you do not want to take the time to ban, you just want portalarium to give you the easy out. Doing this would completely break pvp and thieving. I will let you rail on futher as I am done beating my head against the wall.

Lady Cind and Ariella like this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

HAha. No.

I'll meet you in the PVP world - count on it. :)

But when I'm hosting a PVP event in my PVE POT; I'd like to be able to host the planned event. The flag system is for open PVP... not very good for events as has been proven time and time again. I don't play well with gangster protection money tactics - so I won't be paying anyone for my safety just to play the game in my POT. And banning people is a fool's errand - instead of disrupting the event with massive PK and rezzkill, players with foul intentions could just tax the banning system until the event is ruined anyway.

A well throughout and properly implemented PVP Event Mode would enhance PVP gameplay, not hinder it.

12. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Ok one more reply. It just seems like you do not want to use the community to help you with these problems in game. The solutions are already there and obvious but you do not want to use them.
    1. Hire protection like OOV.
    2. Ban
    3. Friends only online

You will always have people in a game that you will not get along with. No matter how hard you try or how much you "nerf" the game to make it better for "you", not necessarily everyone.

Weins201 likes this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I guess this is where we might be misunderstanding each other. I don't want to nerf anything. I want to add an event mode for PVE POTs because I have one of the POTs in that list of 300+ POTs for Ep1. What I'm proposing doesn't change anything in open PVP - but it does give 300+ Governors an option for hosting tournaments.

14. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok PvP "Event" mode - what do you have in mind for that idea? Really need some explanation as to what you think it should look like.

You have said PvP event in your PvE Area - there are arena basements already avail - There is already the ability to flag "PvP" and enter you POT and have an "event" and you have the power to ban anyone who interrupts.

What more do you think needs to happen?

If you even consider a way to have a PvP Area, such as a PvP POT or a Shardfall that allows some players to enter under some kind of protection - the answer is again - NO, this violates the basic principle of a PvP area?

If you say "I don't know perhaps the community can come up with another alternative" - as of this time not one viable solution has even been mentioned.

15. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I in no way shape or form want to nerf or change or redefine anything PVP in SotA's existing open PVP world. I have a PVE POT, and I consider any POT flagged for PVP as part of the open PVP world.

I'd like to see an event mode that allows me to host planned/coordinated PVP events across my entire scene.

- Could be written into lore, Governors would have to work with the Oracle to have blessings granted for PVP tournament mode
    - Is temporary, the event mode by design would have to be short lived
    - Would leave the scene PVE but with temp-tournament PVP ability that only works in the POT with the Oracle's blessing
    - Only people selected as participants get the tourney PVP blessing - and it only counts in the POT that has the blessing
    - Anyone can participate but only Governors, or maybe someone else through appointment, can proxy the tournament blessings from the Oracle for their respective POT.

It DOES NOT mess with any open PVP anything; this is just an event mode for PVE POTs.

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so the one thing you want is a Local Oracle or some other mechanic that grants PvP to player who chose to flag so in your POT only, and control over who can get this flag???

Sorry - there is SOOOO much more that is not even close to being completed / fixed at this time - this whole idea should go to the whish list area.

I would not disagree with your concept - just not a single thing should even be considered at this time.

Since this thread is now completely a wish list idea . . . . .

17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The simplest solution? An in-game TV and some cameras.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm honestly not sure what all the fighting is about here !

I would have liked to see an Open PvP world, but that's not what we have. We have to work with what we have, and develop the best mechanics possible for the Consensual PvP the devs have decided on for the game.

Earlier I suggested party vs. party duels, and that would just be an extension of the player vs. player duel system already in the game. Party vs. party duels could happen anywhere, whether that means a PvE town, or just a PvE scene like Ardoris, or Solace Forest, or Brittany Graveyard (rumble in the graveyard !). Sure, you could argue that people who want that type of gameplay should just flag for PvP, but then you could argue that people who want individual duels should just flag for PvP. That's not what we have, though. And if its left at "everything's okay as it is", you're not going to see more people flagging for PvP, you're just going to see less people dueling, and less people watching duels. Is that what we want?

Party vs. party duels could easily be an extension of the current mechanics. So, for instance, if you're in a party, and you challenge someone in another party to a duel, it will engage both parties in a duel. That would be good not just for actual fighting, but people who want to do something like a stage-play, but act out the combat on stage.

And ultimately I agree with @Bubonic,
    Another mechanic I would like to see along these lines is players being able to arrange "friendly" duels, or spars, where the match is stopped by the game before anyone gets killed. Like in Skyrim where you have a fist-fight in an NPC, and the fight is terminated before someone reaches zero health. Along the lines of what Bubonic said, although some might regard that as coddling, I think it would encourage people over time to engage in PvP that has actual stakes to it. So, I think there are a lot of players who might like the idea of PvP but are afraid to get their toes wet, and having friendly matches where nothing is at stake could eventually ease them into feeling they could take on real fights. Then, once they've gained the confidence from these friendly matches, they'd go out into the world and go into a PvP zone where they could be killed and are fighting with their lives and gear at stake.

It would actually make a lot more sense role-playing wise, too, so people aren't constantly resurrecting their friends after duels or contests, and would also work for stage-plays. Then, possibly, you could have party vs. party duels this way.

But, imo, dangerous PvP out in the world could work hand in hand with safe PvP, which we already have, and which the game is already structured around. I'd like to see real PvP be consequential to the game. I'd like to see Shardfalls have unique or rare resources, and control points involve PvP unless you pay a toll to get through. I'd like to see situations in the world where there is some reason to take on fights and some reason to risk your life. But I'm afraid if that's all we have, a lot of people are just going to avoid PvP altogether. Lets help ease people into it.

Mechanics for group duels would also allow us to get rid of the immersion-breaking "scoreboards" for PvP out in the world and limit scoreboards to arranged group dueling. When you're doing a contest, you might want a scoreboard. If you're fighting someone in a swamp or a shardfall, or control point, you don't.

Bubonic likes this.
  19. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I think you may be on to something here. If I could add my tournament idea to it: Using the party system, if I could create a group in a "Tournament PVP Event Mode" I'd be able to host full scene PVP events in my PVE POT and everyone that wanted to be a spectator could remain in PVE... only the people in "Tournament mode" would be able to PVP in the respective POT's tournament.

-event mode would have to be a POT only mode though, and only the Governor could send/manage invites
    -event mode settings are only good during visits to PVE POTs where the tournaments are being hosted
    -event mode settings/affiliations would be immediately undone when leaving the scene (except for the Governor... something like a connection drop shouldn't kill the event)
    -the PVE scene would remain unchanged for players just wanting to spectate, or craft, or decorate, or whatever
    -this would not change or impact any existing PVP flag or open PVP scene

20. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I know how to easily solve open world pvp bring in factions or vice versus virtue and people can willingly participate but if they do they can't drop flag for xxx time and guild on guild war! Or maybe chaos and order lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.