MMORPG: Review Part 2 - A Shroud of Confusion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Aug 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

Can you explain why you are having so much fun in the game right now? What am I missing out on?

Ice Queen, warxnox and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Avatar

I love this game already and can't imaging why a game in progress get so much negativity. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the skill system, and how different the deck system can make combat. But what makes this game so good right now is the community, everyone really brings this game to life! Why call the MMORPG article a 'review' anyway? Do people review half built cars, and say it can only fit one passenger as the rear seats aren't developed yet, therefore 4/10. Enjoy the test drive!

Thwip, 4EverLost, NRaas and 1 other person like this.
  3. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Why put out a review of an unfinished product, you ask? Why tell people they aren't going to enjoy a crowdfunded game so don't bother sponsoring it?

The answer is fear.

Fear of losing playerbase on other MMO's where the reviewers have already invested their time.

Fear that a better quality product is on it's way and is a clear threat to other games in the genre.

I mean honestly, take a look at UO, will it ever die? Doubtful. There's still tens of thousands of players who log onto UO every year and it's almost two decades old.

Maybe it's the history, or the housing system, the PvP, or the community. Who can really say, everyone has their own opinion of why it's lasted so long and still thrives. One thing is for certain, SOTA is going to be the exact same. It'll never die, so any publicity is good publicity, even if it's well worded, seemingly unbiased yet desperate negativity for the sole purpose of extinguishing a threat.

4. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

5. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Right, that site that has a friend of the developers, himself invested in the game for thousands of dollars, working for it, that site that was given the exclusive opportunity to write overwhelmingly positive press releases like exclusive monthly previews promoting the game for 3 solid years, the site that had regular in person visits with Starr and Chris and praised the history, the housing system, the community. That same site, you are suggesting, has decided to lash out and attempt to destroy the company where one of their friends works and a game they spent years helping to promote in a conspiracy to protect the mmo industry from its certain usurper? Seems reasonable.

Or maybe the guy simply thinks the game's current state is of poor quality. Doesn't mean you have to agree with his assessment. Also doesn't mean if you don't agree with his assessment that it is truly a ploy to bring down a company by writing a little read review on some small independent website that lives off advertisements from this very type of game.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Raxhelm and Preachyr like this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

about as reasonable as a backer writing a mostly negative review of an unfinished, crowdfunded product expressly informing his viewers that it's not worth supporting as a concluding statement.

7. Jon B

Jon B Avatar

you know what amuses me, look at final fantasy 14 when it was released the very first time. This game is way more polished then that piece of garbage was. The game is in early release and I'm sure the last thing Lord British or the dev team want to do is ruin the game and have a bad product. The game is fun and is good, sure it can be tedious to get mats but it needs some TLC in some areas.

8. keldonlighthand[BEAR]

keldonlighthand[BEAR] Avatar

I must say first that I have not read the article. I like to let my own experience e the judge for me. With that said yes this does have many issues within the game. Somethings not completed some not implemented, some just polish. But I still am having fun playing with my guild mates and others from other guilds and always happy to meet new avatars. So yes we have an incomplete game and the score is most likely correct but it is far from finished.

I still like it and do still recommend it to my friends.

So to all hope you just have fun

Tibs and jammaplaya like this.
  9. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thing is port has something going here. It is not finished yet... but they need to listen to other people as some of the poster before me mentioned.

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think the "caravan" is currently the wagon at the far exit of the tutorial version of Highvale, that a new player might not even know how to interact with. Unless you take the other exit off to the left, that is, in which case you would completely miss it.

11. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

They fixed it in less time then SOTA's current projects time to 'feature complete'.

12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

:( The final score really does hit the high and low points, though graphics aren't really important to me, the UI really does need some work. His final score is about right for the current state. The glyph system I don't mind, it's the staring at the combat bar constantly and carpal tunnel syndrome stacking that's the worse part for me. No matter which way you do it, using R and number key buttons, clicking & dragging etc......it's still too tedious and needs a redesign if it's to stay.

Final Score

Pros
    [​IMG] Player driven economy
    [​IMG] Rich, tedious crafting system
    [​IMG] Sandbox invites you to explore & write your own story
    [​IMG] Skill-based progression
    Cons
    [​IMG] Confusing new player experience; can be a deterrent
    [​IMG] Dated visuals and UI
    [​IMG] Far too few quests, those that are there lack inspiration
    [​IMG] Immersion breaking glyph system & combat lacks dynamics
    [​IMG] Single-player & MMO mix leads to issues with both

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

The concept of player owned towns is great. Selling them in the store was a lazy cash grab.

I still have hope that there remains enough demand for housing to push this through the mechanics of the game. People should be driven to do things in game for what they want.

Ice Queen and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Let me try this another way...

City of Heroes would like its idea back.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I saw this earlier on Facebook, so I'll say what I said there. I agree with the need for more involvement and help for newer players coming into the game, and that yeah, it's still a bit rough around the edges for certain systems. We knew that from the get-go, and that there remains polishing and adjustments to be done for the actual "release".

As a long time Ultima nerd and fan myself, though, I will also state the "Ultima sequel ONLY" bit is crap as people have mentioned before. There were always going to be multiplayer aspects to the game, and it CANNOT be a direct Ultima clone, for the simple fact that RG doesn't OWN Ultima anymore. Has it changed from the original scope? Yeah, some of which I think is both good and bad. The housing thing is probably one of the most polarizing issues considering the amount of time and effort put into it, but even as someone who's not really a fan, I also am aware and cognizant that there are PLENTY of others who are, and who have backed the game with some considerable monetary involvement.

Shroud will not be the game for everyone, in my opinion. I think there are certainly enjoyable aspects, and for myself, the biggest thing I wanted to see (and am presently delving into) was the story/lore of Novia and how it all comes together to relate to my character. I think it's more than misleading to claim that nothing has been done, and that the Devs aren't doing anything about it, when we can see direct and constant updates so far.

To be fair, there's always been a lot of anticipation and expectations (myself included) to see RG produce another title that would rival the Ultima series. Are we there yet with Shroud? Oh HELL no. There's a good start, and certainly some passionate players who are invested in the game. But that level of enjoyment also didn't exactly happen overnight. The Ultima series spanned over 30 years of production, with some incredible groundbreaking features that essentially shaped computer gaming development. Of course people are looking to reclaim that level of involvement and enjoyment, but that also will not only take time, but it will also take a serious community as well.

Bottom line, this is meant as the first of several episodes, and we're not at the final stage of that release yet. I agree there is still a lot of work to do, and the game will surely undergo several tweaks and balances to gameplay over the course of time, but I neither agree or am willing to simply wash my hands either. If it's not the game for you, I understand. But I also think some folks are looking for an excuse, and are going overboard on the criticism.

/2 Cents

Scraps MacMutt and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Raxhelm

Raxhelm Avatar

This is ridiculous. Do you realize how delusional this sounds? Take a step back and ask yourself this: how much money have you spent based on this delusion? Don't feel obligated to answer here in the forums. I don't want to know that answer

Vagabond_Sam likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Read the article. Some good feedback in it. In the end, he gives us 7 for game play and longevity. We need to keep improving those and will monthly. Polish, he gives us a 2 and I would say we're more around a 4/10 on polish. It's honest but that is why we're not claiming to be done.

Maybe 5 is fair on graphics but all depends on what you want to compare us to. If you make a small game, you can polish the crap out of it. Also, if you make all static environments you can polish it more. Small and static is not us. I think some of our scenes deserve at least an 8 on visuals but for others, maybe 5 is right. Either way, we will continue to improve and add more content. There are many scenes out there that will probably stay a 5 for many months to come just because they are low priority.

As for value of 4/10, he seems to repeatedly mention paywall as an issue. He even mentions it in the value statement. I don't believe that it is fair to judge the value based on us allowing some people to help support the game more for in game trophy items. I'm not a reviewer but if that colored his judgement seems a bit unfair. Last I looked there had been over 2.5 million hours logged by players even though most players either haven't logged in or only recently started playing.

Either way, clearly not the game for him. As for the MMORPG comments, pretty much the usual. A few people who have actually played the game being positive or mostly positive while a few trolls attack anyone who says anything positive about the game. My favorite is the post larval guy... "They banned me from the forums because they suck!" and then he goes on to post a dozen plus attack replies. Uh, maybe there was some other reason you got banned? :p

Either way, we read all of these. I don't agree with all of his points but some are on target.

18. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Raxhelm

Here's what I don't understand. If you've "taken a break from SOTA indefinitely". Those are your words in a recent thread you started. Yet here you are complaining about it on the forums. What's the problem, no better games to play?

I don't understand people. It's as if whenever they can't be happy, no one is allowed to be happy. Listen, I don't particularly care for soccer. I don't watch it, I don't really understand it. Based on what little I do understand I think it's a really stupid sport. But there are plenty of people in the world that disagree with me. I don't go to soccer forums and troll them. I don't tell people that I've "taken a break from soccer indefinitely" and then proceed to torment the people that enjoy it. I move on, I do stuff I like to do.

I have no idea why people do this on our forums. At least the guy that wrote that review has an excuse, he's not very good at his job.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Avatar

From the point of view of someone who never played any of the Ultima series of games, I think the review was fair (if not a bit premature). I followed RG into this adventure solely on the strength of Tabula Rasa. I was not a gamer before that game hooked me. I love that game with every fiber of my being, and would still be playing it today if not for some politics that snuffed it out. So I can certainly understand the attitude and loyalty of long time Ultima fans. I'm still not sure this is a game for me (I'm really an explore and quest player), but I believe in RG and his team and am willing to keep supporting it until it goes live, and then and only then, decide for myself regardless of reviewers opinions.

Beaumaris and 4EverLost like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Why do people attack others instead of discussing the article?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.