Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The game is in a terrible state

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Magos, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magos

Magos Avatar

NPC Archers are still stupidly OP. Maybe their damage takes into account a comparison with their targets dex ? Whatever, it’s not fun. Too many scenes have too many archers.

The change to Greymark Forest just baffles me. It was one of the few areas in the game that was fun and you could make a little bit of gold (2500g / hour)

Summoned pet AI makes them unusable except in the most controlled environments.

Taming - forget it.

I'm sick to death of stealth nerfs and significant changes on the fly. Stop bypassing your QA department.

Nobody is buying resources since patch R33 because they aren’t making money. (There may be outliers). It has changed the economy such that for many people there is no economy.

Pretty much all that is left is harvesting resources and hoarding them.

Repeated over zealous nerfs to the only elements of the game that work and present any fun have presented a critical danger to the success of the project.

You can overbalance when there are plenty of other things to do but if there isn’t it kills the game.

Persistence with the state the game is in was a huge mistake. I expect to see a significant decline in player numbers in the next 2-3 weeks but now there isn’t the prospect of going persistent to keep peoples attention/interest.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Nhili Dragon, Kaisa, agra and 6 others like this.
  2. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

*Work In Progress*; has not changed meaning. These changes will be changed, then changed again and so on and so forth, until at such time they accomplish what they have in mind. I just sit back, breath, rant , rave , stomp my feet, try not to throw the keyboard too hard, and then take a walk. Change is always difficult and I have never dealt well with it. I feel your aggravation, but it will one day be over and we can get set in our ways once again.:):D

3. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

The XP 'pool system' is by far the biggest problem with this game imo.

Quenton, Retro, Nhili Dragon and 5 others like this.
  4. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i think the same but based on too many only-friends sessions...
    if there is not (yet) a beautiful game .. it's necessary to have BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE .. gaming together ... doing commerce... fight in parties, Ultima Online was a nice game since 2003 after that date, the graphical UI was old , the isometric view was old... the lag was insopportable... BUT PLAYERS (uo was ONLY MULTIPLAYER) are the GREAT THING OF THE GAME and UO survive to 2016 just for players... not for EA.. not for updates... not for anything else..

i'm again asking

SOME MULTIPLAYER CITY
    OVERWORLD MAP ONLY MULTIPLAYER

and maybe...

some
    ALL IN ONE SCENES.... like Ferrig's camp
    with ENEMIES.... GUARDS... VENDORS... RESOURCES... all in the same scene.

these scenes (2/3/4/5 and maybe 6/7 skulls) can:
    decrease the dissent for long waiting times loading scenes..

FOR THE ECONOMY... again UO teaches...

grab cotton.. transform it to cloth roll.. and then RESELL it to npc... (players walk in the world searching for vendors that can buy at a reasonable price semifinished items) .

Grab wood.... create wooden board ... and resell the boards to NPC...

this make players can gain CRAFTING SKILLS... AND MONEY.

now create a "BASE FINISHED ITEM" cost to player 200-500 GP... and vendor buy it by HALF PRICE.

(in UO any vendor have a maximum of money that can give to players... when finished.. it's necessary to change vendor..)

but again.. why we are talking? developers seems not consider any suggestion from players.
    who is the REAL developer of UO mechanics? for what company it works now? Starr Long and Lord British seems that haven't played UO (maybe Magic... because there are
    strange CARDS that nothing has with ULTIMA GAMES) ... and SOTA actual developers seems to young, and just played CALL OF DUTY (what is this target on the center of screen??????)

sorry for the outburst (and for the colors)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  5. Magos

Magos Avatar

I get that and agree with what you're saying. But the purpose of going persistent was supposed to be to keep more people playing in an ongoing manner.

Huge mistake.

Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  6. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

I rather see Archers have the abilty to climb trees, than to pack together like a 10 headed beast. not sure what the answer is, maybe it is just me trying to play over my current skill set but they are a pain in the a$$

7. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

First of all, Highlights like your using is very annoying. second, UO was great till they let the Asian have a say. after that point UO went down hill. Bat people and Ninjas were so lame to what we grew to know as UO to introduce that was stupid, in my opinion. but it was true, when that happened UO was bleeding out.

8. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Archers dislikes:

Having sand thrown in their face / blinded
    Acrobatic clowns : high avoidance / dodge
    Being bashed on the head : stunned
    Being kicked in the &$%^ : knocked back
    Prey hiding behind obstacles
    Prey running in and out of combat range and nuking
    Cannon fodder as in the adventurers pet taking aggro for them initially or the pet/summon attacking other archers so they cant co-ordinate fire

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

All very good points.
    We all know that this is a work in progress, but as has been pointed out again and again and again on these forums is, its nerf after nerf after nerf.

The main thing I see is there seems to be a push to make everyone a "fighter" by putting tradeskilling/social elements behind such expensive gold sinks that the only way to think of achieving these things is if you grind monsters several hours a day. As a melee character preferably, so 90% of your income isn't spent on reagent restock.

Low level/easy accessible mining spots have been eliminated or toned down so much that they aren't worth doing, all in the name of risk vs. reward.
    Why is this? Is there a reason it is felt every character must level combat? Why is 'ability to kill bigger things' a requirement? The people who can kill bigger things obviously like fighting, give them a reward that helps them fight better rather than "access to best mining spots."

Please add a way for crafters to harvest ores, buy fuels, craft items, and sell to an NPC vendor and make a little bit of money doing so, so they can be self sufficient without the need to go kill things for 3 hrs just to finance the trade.
    Please add more accessible mining spots (adding a handful of nodes in the encounters is not sufficient, when items require HUNDREDS of resources and you get like...2? per node? on average?)
    If someone wants to go mine for 12 hours and not fight anything why is that a problem? The whole idea of player run economy is that if people flood the market with a particular ore, the price will go down. So let it. Stop making things harder and harder to get.

10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

and i wrote: sorry for the outburst (and for the colors)
    antoninus i very want to talk a lot with you, but for now i want just that some developer read this post and can talk to Richard or Starr .. and fix something before the game to become a failure... scene cleaning (only updates for this) it's not not not THE SOLUTION FOR SOMETHING, not now, players are starting to leave the game (and not for threes that block someone)

Leelu likes this.
  11. Elfenwahn

Elfenwahn Avatar

+1 for "Detailed Balancing will change and is not the major issue compared to other topics, e.g. story"

Leelu and Chatele like this.
  12. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

aye, it was just too much, especially in the morning. lol

Leelu likes this.
  13. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

You're welcome to just wait 6-12 months and pop back then.

Persistence =/= finished.

4EverLost, Nolove 0369, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  14. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

well Im not sure what your level is, but try running the gambit in Spectral Mountain. Here an archer and there an archer, every where an archer.

Nolove 0369 and Leelu like this.
  15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Maybe try not running Spectral Mountains if your level/skill/build isn't up to it, lots of other scenes

16. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

That isnt quite the point, I can slay the archer, Just not more than one coming from all angles. Beside we are lead to push our skills for Xp. and to note I have had to go back a lvl, till I figure a way to draw them out of their pyramid scheme.

Nolove 0369, Leelu and Chatele like this.
  17. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

it maybe as simple as wearing plate and a shield. which I have been reluctant to at this point.

Nolove 0369 and Leelu like this.
  18. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I disagree. I was over the wipes and was finding it hard to log in anymore after the hat quests stopped. I couldn't justify spending lots of time on something that would keep erasing every three months. With persistence there is a reason to actually "play" the game now not just "test" some half working systems. I feel staying out of persistence longer would have been the mistake. I'm happy with their decision personally.

4EverLost, Chatele, Metlore and 2 others like this.
  19. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I am looking at the game as something of a present day sunshine state theme park, the land is all there but missing a few signs .. Some of the rides have tracks and automatons that say meow, the hall of 45 leaders has maybe 23 working, different signs of 'this ride is temporarily closed for your future enjoyment' and on certain days, the big draw, Spatial Mountian does test runs and visitors get to preview it, but then it gets closed down, and then reopens as Mr. Froggy's Wild Jiggybump, which appeals to the gift shop vendors, but then gets closed again, and the next month rep opens as this fabulous thing called Spatial Jiggybump. And then the laws of physics are broken. However, the theme park builders submit fixes and physics is restored...
    However all this time, the gift shop remains open for everyone's enjoyment.

It's a great place, but like Mr. Froggy's Wild Jiggybump, it has warts. There is a cure. It's called Release X+1 or Patch Y+1. It just takes time and constructive feedback because at the end of the day, there are a lot of places with 'this place is under construction for your future enjoyment' - and it will be open in the future. And the gift shop is open too.

:)

20. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Ok, this is all getting a bit repetitive. But it seems the general population does not understand economics. I am no economics professor. But here WAS the problem. When the pushed out R33, the nerfed gold income and were SUPPOSED to adjust spawn rates in mines.

Here is what happened with the spawn rates: All ore was spawned immediately upon entering scene. In R33 it was supposed to be the case that not all ore would be spawned upon entering a scene. If you ran around a room and picked up the ore (and killed mobs), BEFORE you would be 2/3 all the way through, the ORIGINAL ore would spawn. This basically meant spawn rates were INCREASED. In an hour people were hauling 200-300+ ore (depending on how efficient one was). Before, I think I used to maybe do 100+ ore an hour. That is a 2 or 3 times increase.

What this had the effect of doing was OVERSUPPLYING the market with Ore. It is NOT the case that ore dropped price because there was not in-game gold being made. It WAS the case that ore prices dropped because everyone figured out the spawn rates were messed up and took advantage of it. Stop "tin-foil" hatting the **** out of this. Supply and demand. Too much supply, not enough demand, prices of ores/mats dropped.

Kaisa, 4EverLost, Leelu and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.