Heraldry Poll & Peer Review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CaptainJackSparrow, Oct 27, 2013.

?

Should YOUR Coat of Arms be subject to approval by peers, even for simple things such as colour?

1. No

51.7%
  2. Yes

48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

So. Heraldry. This topic seems to win on the forums, so I am creating a Heraldry topic to win also, OF COURSE.

I am not quite sure why, but several people in this forum seem to think they are indeed, above all others. They wish to have us judged, they wish to reject thought, to supress ideas which are different, punish out of the box thinking, and create their own little self-important groups.

I reject this form of oppression from a self appointed vainglorious group of immodest peers. If there are to be rules, they should be Portalarium. If there are to be judgements, they should be Portalarium.

If I want hot pink colors and double rainbows on my Coat of Arms, I should be able to have it. Should be able to have anything which is not offensive to the genaral rules of society as it stands today. Accept nothing less my friends, this shouldn't be some sort of backwards ideal where your creativity is limited by a small group of the "Peremptory Backers."

So without further notice, I present the Sparrow Coat of Arms. HOORAH!

[​IMG]

rild, Bubonic, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

rild, Kilhwch, LoneStranger and 5 others like this.
  3. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

rild, skinned and Jatvardur like this.
  4. CaptainJackSparrow

Not yet, still waiting for my rejection notice :p

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Count Napoli

Count Napoli Avatar

If by chance you get one, wear it with pride.

Devoid and Jatvardur like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

Any user generated content, be it 3D assets or artwork, should be subject to approval by Portalarium. If Portalarium wishes to delegate that task to some volunteers, then so be it. However, the submission guidelines those volunteers are using should be approved by Portalarium.

With that said, the coat of arms looks great. Is that you the donkey though, holding the shield? Cool hat bro.

7. CaptainJackSparrow

Yeah that is def me, wearing my thinking cap ;)

smack likes this.
  8. Sir Frank

"The people on this call, I was hoping I could recruit into this process of both the creation of Royal Warrants, the creation of Heraldic Arms for individuals in our community, and helping me to award these or accept these, as we move forward in management of this as something for the community itself." – Richard Garriott de Cayeux @15m19s in this video :

9. CaptainJackSparrow

I do not have the time at the moment to review this video, but from your quote nothing appears to have been said about people in the community creating the rules and then using them to deny submissions.

Glad this is a crowdsource game, this is a feedback thread for the devs. As oh so many of you say all the time. :)

BillRoy likes this.
  10. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

I just realized that my crest is now on a website (College of Arms). Thank you for uploading mine Sir Frank!

Sir Frank likes this.
  11. Sir Frank

Creation of rules would be Coren describing that we have a very loose set of rules, and Richard agreeing, saying we nailed it @26:40 in the same video.

Denying submissions: Nobody has yet suggested denying submissions based on aything other than obscenity and technical limits. However, if Portalarium furnishes us with a style guide and asks us to enforce it, of course we will.
    But that hasn't happened yet.

12. CaptainJackSparrow

You are right in a way Sir Frank, nobody has suggested denying submissions because for example here, Bowen has flat out said he would be:

Bowen said: "Do not overlook that RG himself has said as much as wanting to maintain a certain asthetic for the game. Neon colors for example simple are not appropriate. Nobody is saying you have to like it.. but that's just the way it is. Also for those who haven't been paying any attention.. the College HAS been helping people design their arms."

He then goes on to comment that I should not get on his bad side, else my submissions could be denied due to the peer reviewing.

13. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Can one vote multiple alternatives?
    Cool hat and shades bro!

14. CaptainJackSparrow

I or someone may have to vote on a different answer, but to keep it simple I just with with the typical no/yes.

If you have other ideas of course feel free to post them here or over in the other Heraldry posts. I do not poopie on ideas as others do :p

15. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Simple is good; two alternatives is perfect! I was just thinking about for those who may be indecisive.

Btw, I really don't see you entering the game as Jack Sparrow, have you thought up a character name yet? Not that there is any hurry, plenty of time until the game goes live.

16. CaptainJackSparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow is as good of a name as any. I've just got to register it first...

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Wow.. talk about an absolute and compelete misrepresentation and reading between the lines. Good grief dude. For starters.. I'm NOT part of the College.. I will NOT be part of any reviewing process. I never said or implied anything to the contrary. Devs have made comments in regards to not having neon colors and maintaining a certain asthetic in-game. I said absolutely nothing about being on my bad side.. I merely suggested that if you were complaining about the possibility of your arms being rejected because someone doesn't like you.. that it would be prudent not to insult them. Them still being yet to be determined but also not including me.

Also in the video RG has suggested the possibility that the College may be the first level of review but as I pointed out this is not written in stone. I am not making a case that this is how it should be. Only that this is the current direction things have been taking.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Oh and for the record.. I don't speak for the College either.

19. CaptainJackSparrow

Well that is good then, perhaps I owe the College a little bit of an apology then for the blowback they got due to your comments. You should be a bit more gentle in what you say, because your pure assumptions like colour bans certainly do come out strong!

BillRoy likes this.
  20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hey all I did was repeat what I've heard dev's say about maintaining the look of the game. Ahtough it is true I think neons and futurisistc stuff would likely violate that asthetic. That doesn't mean I have anything to say about it.. nor would I try.

If you had been following the subject closely you might recall me saying early on that people who make what they like. There was no need to follow heraldic rules to the letter.. but these thing are out there for the people that do. At no point in talking about the propose 'rules' did I ever suggest what those rules should be except implying they should maintain the game's asthetic (which the coat of arms you presented doesn't break I might add.. imo though the donkey head is kinda out there.. but hey it's yours.. ). Which I think is reasonble.. but also nothing beyond what Portlarium is likely to do anyway.

I'm not here to dance on egg shells but I hardly think I was blungeoning you over the head either.

And to clarify something else on my opinon you seem to have missed. I was among the first to recommend in-game tools so this stuff doesn't need to be reviewed.. like.. during the first 2 months long before you arrived. I never said the current direction was a perfect solution. Only that it's the current direction. You read everything else into it yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.