Network Congestion, I'm not above begging!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I so want to have fun playing this game! But being disconnected due to 'network congestion' is killing all of the enjoyment for me. I've discussed this in the bug forum and elsewhere. But have not seen a reply from any of the developers regarding it (its very possible I've missed something). In any event, I descend to my grubby knees and beg: Please developers, take a look at this problem--I'm fairly certain it is more of a problem outside the US but can't swear to it. If someone has a link to a discussion about this--where it is acknowledged to be a problem--please post it. That would go a long way to helping me 'hang in there' while it is addressed.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Woftam, 4EverLost and narcosis like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Did you put in a bug report and list your system information? I am not having this problem. This is my system. A little too many details on it since it is new and I haven't downsized the description yet ;). I wish you good luck in getting a resolution.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GDDR5 6GB DirectX 12 ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ROG STRIX VR Ready HDMI 2.0 DP 1.4 Auto-extreme Graphics Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK

ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - OEM

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and All-Black Interior

EVGA 220-G2-0650-Y1 80 PLUS GOLD 650W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI Ready and Crossfire Support Continuous Power Supply

Maximum Power: 650W
    Intel Core i7-6700 8M Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

3. narcosis

narcosis Avatar

4. Katu

Katu Avatar

This can be problem with your own network setup. If you are using some cheap or old or crowded wlan, or mobile connection or slow internet overall, then the problem can be also on your side. Ever growing game, with more and more data moving ( vendors, players, houses ) might be too much for your current setup.

I am using quite high-end gaming pc, with 100/10 MB cable network and I have never got any errors.

If I would be in your pants, I would first try to eliminate the device malfunctioning. Reset/restart every device there is in chain ( I have cable modem and wlan router for example), if possible, reset to factory settings. Then I would lend routers from my friends, to test if they work better than mine. If its mobile connection, well, meh, those suck, no matter what kind amazing packet it is, but you can still test with other connection.

So, what do you use as a connection and from where? ( Cheap mobile connection from australia, might not meet the minimum requirements for teh internets).

5. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

Hi Majoria,

I'm fairly certain the problem is much more pronounced outside the US. Yes, I have posted in the bug forum (well added my two cents to a report that another had made) with no response that I know of. I'm a 60 year old IT consultant living in Norway--I've been in the business for a very long time. I am 100% certain that the issue is not on my end, either system or network. I'm really concerned that the Port folks have not responded to this issue in any substantial way and that they have 'written-off' players not living within the US--I certainly hope not. Richard is one of my heroes (along with Carl Sagan and Jacques Cousteau) and I will continue to support this game no matter what. But I really, really, hope some attention is focused on this problem in the near future.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Hi Katu,

I'm an American living in Norway. And trust me, the network in Norway is superior to anything I experienced in the US. I'm renting a small apartment in a house owned by a married couple that chew up very little bandwidth. We have a 100Mbps (down) connection that I can easily play Rift, watch Netflix, and stream Periscope to my tablet without a hiccup. My machine has 32Gb and 2.4 i7 with a decent graphics card--I do video editing often with no issues. When I connect to the US via VPN the connection problem all but disappears. However, my employer pays for the VPN and I feel kind of guilty using it for SotA.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

majoria70 and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I played several UO free shards in the past, many of them ended up having to move their dedicated servers to be hosted in New York or Chicago areas in order to support players from EU. Beside the transient delay issue, there seems to be a bottle neck on the backbone connection cross Atlantic, especially those who have their ISPs going through the Netherlands. Some of the players who had the issue end up having to pay for some sort of VPN to use different route/gateway that was less congested.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Been disconnected maybe 3 times at 200h in on my char after persistence

100/100Mbit in sweden and no lag for me

8. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

I only have network problems when I do multiplayer. SPO very rarely gives me any problems.

You gotta see who the master of the zone is....if they have a crappy uplink then I suppose you are screwed.

9. Katu

Katu Avatar

Still, considering that it' is absolutely very minor group, that is having this kind of problems it is most likely, that the problem is in your end.

No matter what is the problem, YOU can do something while waiting miracles to happen from portalarium side..
    In matter of fact, I had sudden disconnects for a while and I could not find the reason. Disconnects did not happen on youtube or netflix. It was Rainbow six siege and mumble ( voicechat ) that kept disconnecting after a short gaming. Even SOTA disconnected sometimes, even its quite resilient ( as mmo's often are ). I thought it was heating that caused this ( only gaming triggered the disconnect ).
    I reseted my router and modem to factory settings. Then updated drivers and renew ipconfigs from windows. I had to hard hard reset my modem to get it working. I kept the reset button for 30 seconds pressed, to get it fully resetted.
    After that, no disconnects.

So, better start testing stuff :)
    • Reset routers and modems to factory setting if possible
    • (atleast shutdown modem, with completely plugging it off the grid ( to reset capacitors ))
    • remove and reinstall network drivers ( motherboard vendor site has these )
    • Try testing your network speed heavily ( http://www.speedtest.net/ ). Open multiple ( 10 or more ) times and start testing all at once ( to get heavy usage on network ). Use something like netflix or other streaming at the same time, to detect disconnect.
    Hope you discover the reason and get your network working again.

10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Been getting this a bit recently, especially if i enter a big town, which is rare, but seems to happen each time for about a minute, Ardoris and Brittany from memory, most of the time its fine, so i assume its the loading of. I am Europe but i have a very fast connection and i should be able to download anything required in milliseconds

11. Raistlyn

Raistlyn Avatar

I also don't have this issue anymore however before I upgraded to an SSD I did have many more problems.

majoria70 likes this.
  12. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Never had it yet. 10Mb over WiFi.

5yo sandy bridge gaming rig

From Canada.

When I game overseas, I typically grab a VPN subscription. Encrypted tunnel packets have priority routing at the exchanges

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.