The Lazy Peon plays SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jordizzle, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I watched. The review seemed more than fair. He was genuinely excited by the ability to speak to NPCs and suss things out and appropriately annoyed when directions were vague and/or NPCs couldn't handle simple questions.

He went out of his way at the end to mention that he is probably not the target audience.

Sure he didn't dive into the decks or fiddle with options, but since none of that is well-explained in game, he's probably doing what a lot of new players are doing and getting frustrated about the same things.

This video is a great tool for the Devs to use. It tells them exactly what to focus on to generate a better new player experience.

mercster, Atmosfear, smack and 6 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I absolutely thought the review was very interesting and a good example of a first time experience for new people. We definitely need to take note of how it was for him. As someone else stated there were some red flags to notice and address in the development of this game. Also making sure learning curve tactics and instructions provided in game for new players are clear, and they let new people experience or see what's possible in continuing the journey of Shroud of the Avatar. Also to include is that that the rewards for going further provide fun and incentive to do it. So we are not there yet, but thank you to the reviewer for taking the time to review. I enjoyed watching the review and I do hope he will check us out later, and perhaps talk to someone who is more experienced with the game to get more insight into it. No need to beat him up for his thoughts :) *cheers*

smack, Jordizzle, docdoom77 and 2 others like this.
  3. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

I got a few laughs out of it.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Summary of the review.

If you are young and illiterate, Shroud of the Avatar is probably not the game for you.

Accurate.

For the rest of the gaming community, come on in!

(The reviewer, Lazy Peon, is 3/10 on the Greyfox Reviewer scale)

5. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

And this is what happens to people who grew up playing wow with arrows and glowing icons guiding them to the next quest. I was admittedly surprised when he warmed to the quest system. I can also agree that the combat system is super un-intuitive for new players and feels clunky until you get a grasp of the deck system. I busted out laughing when he saw the deco dog in front of the row house though, and in hindsight, what a terrible idea... lmao

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    4EverLost likes this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Illiterate? Really?

smh

7. Superjuice

Superjuice Avatar

I don't know why, his opinion will be that of the majority of gamers. Shroud really isn't marketed to him and he admits that near the end of the review. It's pretty clear that Shroud appeals to gamers who grew up playing UO and perhaps EQ and it will likely grab some niche players along the way but in no way do I expect it to appeal to younger gamers that grew up with more modern mmo's. Can't fault him for pointing out the obvious, and you can guarantee that his review will bring at least a handful of new players to the game, regardless of his recommendation.

nonaware likes this.
  8. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Nailed it! Predicted pretty much every fanboy response in this thread.

I was starting to think I was psychic but quickly realized it's the same people, repeating the same tired old mantras while shoving their heads in the proverbial sand.

Hmm...Port should start selling buckets of sand in the store. They would make a fortune!

Apollyon9515, mrsevenhands and Tahru like this.
  9. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

No, it's easily noticed. It's the national pastime here.

Apollyon9515, mrsevenhands and Tahru like this.
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Well it really was a terrible review.

If I went to a doctor and he pulled out his stethoscope and sat there for 5 minutes wowing at it as if it was the first time he had ever seen the thing, I would seriously be concerned about his credentials of being a doctor and I would probably say so to him.

If you are a professional game reviewer reviewing a RPG and you spend 5 minutes wowing over the fact you are talking to an NPC in a text box, I would seriously be concerned about his credentials of being a game reviewer.

Tahru and Greyfox like this.
  11. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I agree it is a terrible review because it does not claim to be a review. It's a first impression video and I think it does a fine, even handed, and fair job at providing his first impression of the game.

12. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

...im not sure comparing some random dude who makes game videos to a DOCTOR is a good analogy.

docdoom77 and Tahru like this.
  13. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Did you listen to his review? He said if you are young and don't like reading you won't like this game.

Tahru likes this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That guy is a game reviewer with 250K people following his channel.

Tahru likes this.
  15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

As an example, if you consider yourself a professional game reviewer (and expert) I would think that Ultima 7 would have been one of the most important games you have played in your life, even today. I would include Ultima 4 and Ultima Underworld. If you are reviewing online games, I would think you would have a lot of time in UO. When I review any game today I would use my experience with past games (especially ones that spawned the entire genera), as at least in a small part in my review of the current game.

Tahru likes this.
  16. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I'm psychic too!!! As per your usual mantra......i could quite easily predict what your response would be..... You don't even make me laugh at you anymore, you make me squirm, in embarrassment....for you.

90% of responses here are measured and acknowledge work needs to be done, but as usual your head is stuck in the proverbial sand to anything that you don't want to see.

Please point me in the direction of your accomplishments you are so proud of please.......i know you are a world renowned developer of XX years, as you have stated so many time.....point please where...I want to see what this genius can do....

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

... I'm pretty sure preferring a game without loads of text doesn't make you illiterate.

Xail and docdoom77 like this.
  18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Which makes a comparison with a doctor... More accurate?

19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

successful tubers are entertainers first, gamers second. Can't put requirements on them. Just enjoy the show and have fun. I think it's great that he played and exposed players to it. I bet it actually added new players.

docdoom77 and Bubonic like this.
  20. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

ok, I think you are missing a key understanding of what an analogy is.

Analogy: "a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.